• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Back in the Baja fraternity! (The Beast)

Oh How Original

Not run yet mate, not properly, had the engine running so I know it runs and ticks over flawlessly, which is job one, but it arrived with the pinion snapped (one of the bits at the back) so just awaiting my new clutch bell and pinion using the nut and hex instead of a bolt and rectangle, which should be a lot stronger.

I know the Monkey Nutz don't have the best of reputation, I've actually had issuesd previously, but for a tenner it was worth it, I've been in touch with Mark at Uber and he's going to sort me out a plain black set of alloy ones as well, which is what I wanted (hecne Silverback) so if these don't work, I've got those coming to go on, if these do, the Ubers will do as perfect spares :)

Personally I've just never had any issues running the cheap foams and tyres, provided they are taped and using Silverback beadlocks... I've had a tyre pop out, thankfully it didn't fully rip or anything, just came out of place from the beadlock, I taped them after that and got Silverback beadlocks and it ran spot on without anymore issues, so it definitely does make a noticable difference.

I've also given it a good going over and all seems well, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm not happy with Royal Mail however, they delivered some items today that where ordered on the 23rd and sent Second Class... I'm still waiting for the item that was ordered the same day and sent Special Delivery.

Talking to their customer service is like talking to a brick wall.

Good news so far on the Monkey Nutz front, they've stayed on, I didn't run it a lot, just done some testing on the street, still can't figure out where the whirring is coming from, presuming it's just a bearing as it's only when I get up to about half throttle... But happy about the Monkey Nutz staying on. (so far)

It would appear joke posts are not allowed.

What tyres are you using on the tarmac? I use cone Road tyres, been fine so far.

What do you mean?

And just the knobbly ones, I'm not wheel spinning so it's fine, taking it very easy.

Had her out today on the field, gave her a nice run, also discovered the LSN was set at 1 turn out and hsn was at 3/4 turns out when it arrived, glad I richened it up straight away otherwise that wouldn't have lasted very long at all.

Now back to stock settings and ready for a good run in when friends are free.

Monkey Nutz also stayed put, so I'm happy.

IMG_3140_zpsfb40fec9.jpg

I posted a picture in this thread the other day and it's been deleted.

I asked about tyres as I found Hostiles got destroyed in minutes on road. That's in a BL Baja, lots of wheelspinning.

I'm waiting for the weather, then I'll be out testing New rides and alterations to existing rides.

I posted a picture in this thread the other day and it's been deleted.

I asked about tyres as I found Hostiles got destroyed in minutes on road. That's in a BL Baja, lots of wheelspinning.

I'm waiting for the weather, then I'll be out testing New rides and alterations to existing rides.

I didn't even see it so wasn't me who reported it.

These actually hold up very well, I've ran a set of these and a set of genuine Hostile MXs quite a bit on tarmac and these KMs weirdly wore down less.

Maybe a bit of luck of the draw, but if I plan on any major tarmac running I'll get some Tarmac busters... I don't think I'll ever run on a smooth enough surface to warrant slicks to be honest.

I've not yet had clone Hostiles, just the hard compound genuine items. Next time I'll probably go for the Xtra hard compound, I'm not worried about fine tuning for racing, just longevity. I'll try to get a set in time for summer.

Anyway, your thread title prompted my little jest, which was this;

Screenshot_2013-12-28-09-59-28.png

Maybe the mods don't do Take That?

Can't say I blame them! ;)

I've not yet had clone Hostiles, just the hard compound genuine items. Next time I'll probably go for the Xtra hard compound, I'm not worried about fine tuning for racing, just longevity. I'll try to get a set in time for summer.

Anyway, your thread title prompted my little jest, which was this;

Screenshot_2013-12-28-09-59-28.png

Maybe the mods don't do Take That?

Can't say I blame them! ;)

To be honest I always ran medium and found they lasted a lot longer than hard, not tried extra hards, so can't comment.

For the price difference, I've found the clones to be far better value for money, provided the foams and tyres are taped which by rights should be done on any tyre as a mere precaution, then they perform the same, and that's running two very simlarly matched Bajas side by side comparison at the same time testing their take off grip, sliding grip etc... I know "clone" can be a dirty word, but they do the same job so I personally use 'em :)

And lmao! Good one, I'm not a fan of them myself :whistling:

Yeah, clone is still a bit taboo. I'll try some tyres at some point, the on-roads I've got have been fine. This is making me want to fit them and go for a spin!

Clone on roads? I've thought about buying some, but I don't do a whole lot of tarmac running, I've also got the mini MX's for on road if I want to abuse them, they're no good on grass so may as well rip them up at some point lol!

Also illustrating the importance of a pullstart cover...

IMG_3141_zps5592ac7b.jpg

It's amazing how much muck the Baja will hoover up!

Yeah, I'm on my second set from HK, they do the job and, most importantly, keep the knobblies ready for the off-road bashing.

I should have my XL2 back tomorrow, it'll be a shame to stop using the HW 150 Amp Pro ESC, it's done me proud, but the XL2 is the better option.

It's been away having a cap-pack fitted, I've got a resistor ready to go in, courtesy of Noj, and I've figured out in my head how I intend to fit it.

• Like 2

It's amazing how much muck the Baja will hoover up!

Yeah, I'm on my second set from HK, they do the job and, most importantly, keep the knobblies ready for the off-road bashing.

I should have my XL2 back tomorrow, it'll be a shame to stop using the HW 150 Amp Pro ESC, it's done me proud, but the XL2 is the better option.

It's been away having a cap-pack fitted, I've got a resistor ready to go in, courtesy of Noj, and I've figured out in my head how I intend to fit it.

Can you share with the rest of us tug , have no idea about mine yet

Sorry lol, wiring / cap packs on esc , as ive heard its better to have a seperate cap pack fitted to the xl2?

Sorry for the thread hijack OHO

No worries, when I reinstall it, I'll take pics and do a thread showing what I'm doing.

side pods get so much crap in them i stopped using them.

Yeah, what gives? They look as though they should do an amazing job of keeping it out, but they don't! If I was asked to design something to keep muck out of a Baja, I'd probably design something identical to the pods, which would then fail of course, I just can't picture anything that would keep it out. The only thing that might do the job is a Graphil bodyshell.

I normally don't use them, but they hide the orange bits really nicely, so I'm leaving them on for the time being :lol:

Just going to stick my pullstart cover on when I can be bothered, just had engine out and everything on rear loose to try figuring out if I can sort this tight spot and nope, it's still there, even worse with alloy clutch carrier, only time it eases up is when the bottom bolt isn't in the clutch carrier, that's on the plastic one.

Brand new clutch bell and pinion too, so it's a bit of a head scratcher for sure!

Nope it's perfectly straight.

It's something to do with the pinion/clutch side of things, the spur is moving perfectly, but the pinion is ever so slightly moving up and down, it's not loose, that's just how it's moving.

Could it be something as stupid as a dodgy bearing? :/ Bearings seem fine when spun but I guess it could be...

a busted bearing wouldn't be so consistent in binding the gears though.

something the rotates is either bent or out of shape, anytihng else would be a contant, or more random binding position.

keep a close eye on the mesh of the pinion and spur and see if one of them is moving slightly. your gonna need to be abit ocd it watching the parts to find it as it problably something very subtle

• Like 1

Well the bearings move, I was meaning if one is missing a ball from the factory, it will have a slight amount of slop in it which would in turn affect the movement of the pinion.

The whole mesh in general is tighter than I'd like to begin with... I may try loosening everything off, then running it very very slowly just above idle so the wheels just turn, then tighten everything up and see if that makes everything seat into it's perfect position.

Just reading through this thread for the first time, i had the same problem with km 2.0ex when i first bought it few weeks ago, the mesh was very very tight indeed and this was brand new out the box, i found that pulling my baja along the floor it was hard to do so and then half way around the spur it would pretty much lock up the wheels, not good to say the least, i found if you remove the spur gear cover and watch the pinion and spur along with the spur gear holder and turn the wheels, on mine the spur gear and holder was a bad fit on the drive shaft and was ever so slightly twisting the spur gear causing the mesh to lock up, i solved the problem by fitting genuine hpi rubber spur gear thingies, area rc titanium spur gear holder, hostile gears, once i first fitted these bits the mesh was still a tad to tight but after one run everything is now nice and free and smooth.