• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Back in the Baja fraternity! (The Beast)

Oh How Original

For those who don't already know I have a Baja again.

Lately I've been buying and selling quite a bit (not for profit) simply because I've been becoming too bored too quickly, nothing was really fulfilling what I wanted.

Had a play with my mate Rays Baja after about a year of not using one, and I knew at that point I had to get another at some point, the opportunity came along, I had the funds, the rest as they say is history.

Unfortunately the pinion was snapped on arrival, but got another one ordered, I don't plan to plough loads of money into it (famous last words) but this one is staying where it is :)

When it arrived...

IMG_3101_zpsbf5e0a00.jpg

Now, waiting for her new pinion and clutch bell... Not a lot changed, but more changes are to come.

IMG_3132_zps6116875e.jpg

I figured I best make a topic to keep Nick happy :tease:

Just thought I'd put the full spec list in the first post, mainly just for myself so I can keep a check on things as I go along etc...

Chung Yang F270 27.2cc +2mm stroker crank
Switchblade killswitch
Dominator clone exhaust
UberRC carbon fibre chassis
UberRC carbon fibre tranny plate
UberRC carbon fibre brake plate
UberRC carbon fibre hinge pin braces

UberRC carbon fibre right engine brace
UberRC window set

UberRC bumpers
ModifiedRC rear chassis
VVC HD shocks
Hitec 5755 steering
Hitec 5685 throttle/brake
HPI SS diff with HD gears
Darksoul outdrives and axles
Darksoul meaty dog bones
Darksoul Toobz
Darksoul billet servo saver
HPI 5SC hubs
Vertigo rear axle extenders
Silverback Mercenary wheels
Silverback beadlocks
Silverback Monkey Nutz
Hostile MXs rears
KM Monster fronts
I-RC front lower chassis brace
I-RC shock braces
I-RC front top plate
Hemistorm max hex
Hostile spur
Robinson Racing pinion
GH Racing pullstart handle
Team Phatdad fan brace
GBE engine brace

Hostile dog bone boots

JoferRC spring perches

Edited by Oh How Original

Any man who doesn't learn from his history is doomed to repeat it

Words you will do well to remember young man.

Welcome back :thumbsup:

Blah, if things go wrong, I'll just fix them lol.

Lot more willing to strip things now than I was back when I had my original one etc... So anything can be replaced/fixed, got a small but steady income now too, so even if I have to save, I can afford to replace stuff which is nice.

You haven't started with a shed this time around, which will help significantly  :thumbsup:

Absolutely, no matter what I was going brand new this time, I've also got a 1/16 SCT coming tomorrow (shh, not supposed to know :whistling: ) which will satisfy my brushless urges, even better the fact theirs two under the tree, one for my Dad too, bit of skate park fun etc... Good times ahead my friend! :D

Indeed! An end to tedium and the start of many hours of fun....so STOP TINKERING  :xd:

Not tinkering, aside from making the servos correct :lol: they where majorly off, trim was on full right and it was still point right :whistling: but yeah she's going to get used and fixed, an engine is in the pipeline (brand new) sometime in the next few months as we know the KMs aren't the most amazingly reliable ones in the world :lol:

If theirs one rig I regretted selling it was my original Baja I got off Trooper, should have bought a new chassis, new bearings and just rebuilt it :lol:

When this one first arrived it just felt like a Baja, now I've done some bits to it, it's starting to feel like my own again.

Weirdly the night I was scanning eBay for bits for this I came across a Baja with my old sticker bombed shell on it lol.

Ive had several, they just seem to be lacking in certain areas. Im yet to have a hpi so ill give them a try next. I wilm probably find out they have just the same problems as a km but atleast them ill know for myself.

I certainly wont be buying new but if i can find a well looked after decent hpi within a new km budget (400-500) ill go for one.

Having owned HPI, KM and a Rovan (for my sins) KM are by far the best quality for the money... Theirs nothing on the KM that needs replacing that doesn't on the HPI if I'm honest.

If the KM has one main flaw it would be servos, they aren't quite as fast as HPI, but servos included the price is still 10x better than HPI, because you've also got the consider tuned pipe and radio gear on top of the price of a HPI.

Basing this on buying new obviously.

Yeah buying new without doubt km is the way to go although i had 650ish in mine before it was half decent and bashable. You've landed onto a winner here tbh mate. Great price which allows loads of budget for upgrades and a baja thats had very little use. If another similar came up id have it. But im in no rush so ill keep my eye out for a nicely upgraded hpi for under 500.

I keep contemplating a 5ive but i just know it wont be as fun as a baja or my savy flux.

Yeah buying new without doubt km is the way to go although i had 650ish in mine before it was half decent and bashable. You've landed onto a winner here tbh mate. Great price which allows loads of budget for upgrades and a baja thats had very little use. If another similar came up id have it. But im in no rush so ill keep my eye out for a nicely upgraded hpi for under 500.

I keep contemplating a 5ive but i just know it wont be as fun as a baja or my savy flux.

Out of curiosity what did you spend the extra money on to make it bashable?

And to be honest

Decent set of wheela and tyres set me back over 150 lol, then hostile boots, shock braces, usuhal outerwears etc, steel pullstart, killswitch etc.

For the price and what the 5ive needs i cant justify that kinda money atm.

Wheels and tyres are more of a choice though, the foams and tyres simply need taping to stop them blowing out and get some Silverback beadlocks on, I've ran powerful OBR engines through stock KM wheels and tyres and they haven't blown.

I guess I'm more of a DIYer, instead of spending like

• Like 1

I would agree with both of you on the tyre front. Taping the KMs foams and tyres would have really saved you the money however the grip on them isn't great but if you wanted to save the money the clone hostiles on eBay complete with brilliant wheels (not rovan clones actually really great clones) are only

• Like 1

I would agree with both of you on the tyre front. Taping the KMs foams and tyres would have really saved you the money however the grip on them isn't great but if you wanted to save the money the clone hostiles on eBay complete with brilliant wheels (not rovan clones actually really great clones) are only