• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First electric car recommendation

josh1990

Would you not consider converting the hyper to brushless? With the right combo should be pretty quick and the strongest buggy your probably be able to get for that budget? Could sell the engine and other nitro bits to help fund it? Not sure if your get anything as strong and as quick as the hyper for that money if you need to buy batteries and charger as well? Unless you go second hand route?

Would you not consider converting the hyper to brushless? With the right combo should be pretty quick and the strongest buggy your probably be able to get for that budget? Could sell the engine and other nitro bits to help fund it? Not sure if your get anything as strong and as quick as the hyper for that money if you need to buy batteries and charger as well? Unless you go second hand route?

That's an interesting idea.. Is this an easy thing to do for a novice? and i guess I'd be saving a bit? Are there any decent threads on this?

Lots of questions sorry!

Aye, spend your cash converting the buggy to electric. There are plenty of threads on here showing which bits you will need. End result, a tough and reliable basher and the sense of satisfaction and pride that comes with a conversion

That's an interesting idea.. Is this an easy thing to do for a novice? and i guess I'd be saving a bit? Are there any decent threads on this?

Lots of questions sorry!

It's not too hard no, I would consider myself a novice and I'm in the middle of converting one and even if you do get stuck there's loads of great advice and people to help on here,or how to vids on you tube. There's also plenty of build threads on here to help as well, for the money you got I don't think your get a better car and as said you get the satisfaction of building your own buggy.

Thanks for the responses guys, i might have a go at this. Especially if i can't get a more decent car buying outright.

I take it the servo's stay the same as they're powered by the on board battery?

I haven't touched it in a while due to it not working so can't quit remember how it worked.

I've looked at the links posted by the member in this thread i found:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/77080-hyper-7-brushless-conversion/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/74972-project-hyperactive/?p=693561&fromsearch=1#entry693561

I'm not after the most badass motor, i just want to enjoy my car for once :/ will this

You'll only need the steering servo, the throttle/brake servo will be removed.

Which motor were you asking about? I used the motor/esc combo that I linked above in mine, and it's superb. Even on 3S it's plenty fast, with the option of going much faster with a bigger battery. Because the Hyper 7 is a fairly heavy buggy you don't really want to skimp too much on the motor/esc.

I would definitely convert the Hyper. I have a Hyper ST converted and its awesome fun, built like a tank too. Loads of Hypers about and parts are one of the cheapest. Get a decent kit and it should just all screw in place, no major engineering required :)

Thanks guys, when starting a new topic to a new community I'm always wary about the feedback i'll get.

But this has been really friendly and helpful, I'll take on board the advice given and see about dismantling/selling components asap.

Cheers

Xerun combos are very reliable and excellent vfm; many forum members use their kit with great success.

Slugsie (or any other member, for that matter) wouldn't recommend an untried product, that wouldn't help anyone!

I use either a stonking big 3S 8400mah for most of the time:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34884

or a 5S 5000mah when I just want to be silly:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=32196

I have mine geared to 19/47 (I think, it's whatever the spider diff is normally), and even on 3S it's fast enough for most purposes. I've never actually done a proper speed test, but it's (as Rolls Royce used to say) 'adequate' ;).

As for connectors, I use Traxxas, but that's simply because my first proper RC was the Slash, so everything else since then has been converted to Traxxas so I can maintain a degree of swappability with batteries. The XeRun 150 will come with a pair of Deans by default (it's set to run 2 batteries in series, but easy to change that), so if you haven't got anything else you want to maintain compatibility with you might as well stick with that. Note that the batteries I linked above, one is Traxxas, one is 5.5mm bullet. 

Sounds good, think i'll get the first one you purchased.

My Habao steering servo seems a bit on the weak side. Could you recommend any? do all fit?

I've also removed all the throttle pins which were connected so the throttle servo, i don't need this do i?

Last question hopefully for a while - Do i need to learn anything about the geering? you've said you've geared yours to 19/47 which has gone over my head. Don't you just connect the motor to the receiver and press go?

They take a standard sized servo, so finding one to fit is easy. I use these and they're a good cheap option for something like this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29621

The throttle servo is no longer needed, so anything connected to it goes.

Gearing is just how many teeth are on the spur and pinion gears. The pinion is (normally) the smaller of the two and mounted on the output drive shaft of the motor, so in my case 19T (included with that combo IIRC). The spur is the gear on the centre diff, and again has 47 teeth in my case. Changing the gearing by (usually) changing the pinion alters how the car performs. A bigger tooth count on the pinion results in higher speed, but lower acceleration. Smaller tooth count gives better acceleration but lower top speed. Further more if you over gear you can also cause the ESC or Motor to overheat. On your first few runs you should be checking the temperature every minute or so to be safe.

BTW, you connect the motor to the ESC, and the ESC to the receiver. :)

HTH, and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. :)

Edited by Slugsie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've got the ball rolling and parts are slowly arriving in the post :)

2 more questions however!

1. Seems the conversion kit linked on the first page has been out of stock for a while. I check back today and it seems it's now discontinued by the supplier and im having trouble finding it on another UK site.
    Does anyone know if the hyper 8 conversion kit would suffice? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-brushless-conversion-kit-for-hobao-hyper-8/rc-car-products/369637

2. I got the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7028

Stupidly i thought this came with a powersupply. Which one should i get? I look on the powersupply option and there are loads.

Thanks again :)