• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

what to buy?

BanditBuggy

Fatboy.....do you own a MTA???   Just asking as both of mine have run without a glitch for the last 2 years on 16% and 20%.  Just saying!

i have the tt mta-4 its a great truck live on a farm so there are huge things to jump. its fast and i drove it of the side of a 40FT drop yesterday on to clay and i only broke the servo saver which is a 5 pound fix. also the first thing to go on it after over 20 litres of fuel 

Fatboy.....do you own a MTA???   Just asking as both of mine have run without a glitch for the last 2 years on 16% and 20%.  Just saying!

Who cares whether he does or not? Of course the engine will run on 16 and 20% fuel, any engine will run on any blend of nitro fuel but it's a simple fact the engine is better suited and will run better with a nitro percentage of around 25%.

i think i am going with mta4 TT. Has anyone got experience with it? Does it go 40 mph and over and is it sturdy? Also, is msuk fuel OK?

45mph

In my opinion these engines run best on 30% tornado fuel. I did switch to byrons race 30% and believe it or not I thought it wasn't as good or consistant. 25% though, is generally what's best for the 28, and replace the redline plug AFTER break in with a o.s#8. Pipe wise you'd probably expect a jp4 to be the best.. But again in my opinion, a jp2 matches best and sounds lovely.

Edited by 1981robbo

Ollietheox to answer your question no I don't own a mta4 but I have fixed a few and every time I see one I start to get angry the last I worked on was an s50 don't get me wrong the engine and most the car is great but their a git to tune and have the worst diff access I've seen on a monster truck and don't get me confused with thunder tiger haters I have a tt tomahawk st its great but not until they sort out that pressure line from the exhausts and the worst thing tt did was let modelzone sell them they guys I've talked to in modelzone wouldn't know how to change a light bulb never mind fix a nitro car their the main reason why I've worked on so many tt cars it ain't tt messing with them its modelzone the one I saw that came from modelsport was spot on but still needed a new exhaust because of that pipe

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the mentioned pressure line, although I can see why this annoys people. What I found solves the problem is simply fit 6mm o/d fuel tube and squash it in the hole. A tomahawk bx has a great sounding pipe, its the fuel tubing that's rubbish

How's about an Hpi Firestorm, easy to tune and fix, it's tough as old boots and it's been around for ages so bits are easy to get hold off. Only upgrades you really need are a set of T Bone bumpers and that's it. Comes with 2 yr warranty and will do 40 mph on the right tune and fuel.

Before you all get on your sodding high horses....the info I provided has come from advice from this site. I have been led to believe that 16 and 20% is more than adequate for bashing and 25% is more reserved towards those that race. And Im assuming that this guy is buying a car to bash...therefore the recommendation for 16 or 20. I was told on here that the lower % fuels have more oil to protect the engine??????

You were informed wrong then. 25% is more than adequate for bashing. I've never raced in my life, all my cars that had an engine larger than a 21 were run on 25% fuel. I never had a problem. 

Lee.

• Like 1

Ok..so... In an attempt to cool things down a bit on this thread regarding fuel, I'd like to offer the following... IME a nitro engine will run on any % fuel if tuned to that fuel.. Breaking in an engine on any fuel is ok but it is simpler and quicker to break it in on the fuel you eventually want to use in the future... If u wanna break in on lower % fuel go ahead, but when you change to a higher % fuel it will need to be re-tuned for the higher % fuel... A higher % fuel allows the engine to burn the fuel more vigorously I.e. faster, it will also run cooler... Never mind what % fuel you use lubricants will always be present, just ensure you keep a good smoke trail n you will be ok...

Anyway, back on thread... Has the model arrived yet..?

Edited by miniman

I have used opti for a while in aero engines and have been happy, no damage and many hours use, so I thought opti for the H7 would be fine and it has been..! Usually a good price from most stockists I find.. Yeh many people swear the fuel they use is the best but I say go with your own choice or experience(or budget..!).. As a 1/8 noob I went with what I knew but loads of folk said use..blah..blah...blah.. Hey, try what you want but I think opti is ok.. A bit smoky, but for me smoke=lube.. I used 20% for the break in and just stuck with it..

So, how is the new toy doing..have u broke anything yet,,?! lol.. Have fun burning the 10l but keep a bit of yer dough back cos u never know..!

havent broke anything yet, tried it out on a loooong grass pach, it is nipping fast, love the sound and tomorow going to a dirt jump track. Something is gonna breack 4 sure, but if youre not breacking things, youre not having fun!

"but if youre not breaking things, youre not having fun!"

So true! I usually only go home from a bash when no cars work any more or i've ran out of fuel lol 

I bought the TT EB4 S2.5 Pro 2 weeks back and broke it in on 16%, still using it for now as I got the tuning smack on.  That thing flies! It seems to have 2 stages of power, when its high rpm there is a step up again so don't see the need for any more!

I bought the TT EB4 S2.5 Pro 2 weeks back and broke it in on 16%, still using it for now as I got the tuning smack on. That thing flies! It seems to have 2 stages of power, when its high rpm there is a step up again so don't see the need for any more!

That 'step' means your not tuned correctly...more than likely too rich on the LSN

This engine runs best on 25%/30%nitro namely tornado.

Edited by 1981robbo

Before you all get on your sodding high horses....the info I provided has come from advice from this site. I have been led to believe that 16 and 20% is more than adequate for bashing and 25% is more reserved towards those that race. And Im assuming that this guy is buying a car to bash...therefore the recommendation for 16 or 20. I was told on here that the lower % fuels have more oil to protect the engine??????

no not nessicrily pal 25% allows engine to run cooler due to higher burn rates and more oil percentasge

That 'step' means your not tuned correctly...more than likely too rich on the LSN

This engine runs best on 25%/30%nitro namely tornado.

Hmm maybe, I am new to this nitro scene but there is zero lag, just goes like stink, the step I talk about is right at the peak of the RPM too, maybe last 3-4k revs... I'll adjust and see what happens.  Thanks for the info :)

Out of all the cars I own and have owned, my Thunder Tiger is the biggest pile of crap I had the misfortune of buying.

So based on my experience I'd avoid one and either go for one of the FTC's, an hpi firestorm or maybe a hyper if budget allows.

Edit: And had I have read the thread properly I would have seen that one has already been bought. Just hope its not a complete shed like mine :D

Edited by MarcusF

the mta4 is the best way to go imo. i had one for nearly five years and never had any real trouble with it. almost bulletproof and dead easy to work on. and was a hoot to drive. really regret selling it! soooo want another one