• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pistonheads' Baja has now got a new owner...

Pistonhead

Basicly what you whant to be doing is with a warmed up baja 10 mins driving around, then you want about a 50 meter wide open throttle in a straight line and then if you have a killswitch cut the engine or stop after the full gas run as close to yourself or someone who can cut the engine straight away. then check the colour of the plug ,

Your looking for a chocolate brown colour .

What you dont whant is black (too rich) or grey (too lean).

It may take a while to get it to the right colour  but it will be peace of mind afterwards

I've left it on the rich side so there's still a hint of smoke from the pipe but will chech the plug colour later to make sure.

Maybe it looks slower than the Hyper because it's so much bigger?

Took it for her first proper run today and she's an animal, it's alot more controllable with the power from a good tune. I have found that the stock throttle/brake servo will fade after about 30-45 mins of driving because i'm using the throttle almost constantly to help control it's cornering, so i may be swapping it out for the savox steering servo in the Hyper to see if that improves things.

Now a couple of pics of her all good and mucky lol

hubusagu.jpgyja3yvaq.jpg

Edited by Pistonhead

I've left it on the rich side so there's still a hint of smoke from the pipe but will chech the plug colour later to make sure.

Maybe it looks slower than the Hyper because it's so much bigger?

Took it for her first proper run today and she's an animal, it's alot more controllable with the power from a good tune. I have found that the stock throttle/brake servo will fade after about 30-45 mins of driving because i'm using the throttle almost constantly to help control it's cornering, so i may be swapping it out for the savox steering servo in the Hyper to see if that improves things.

Which one is in the Hyper? No point changing a stock servo for one you'll just ruin lol.

Invest in a Savox 0235 or 0236 (I've ran many 0236's in large scales) they will do you proud.

Speed wise, unless your Hyper has a very expensive engines, the badger will be peeing all over it mate, in a straight out drag race my uncles SS used to out do my nephews Hyper on acceleration and top speed, the Hyper simply couldn't touch it.

I have savox 1256 tg with 20kg in my baja and had to adjust EPA to 70% because it looked like it will break the receiver box. Bad design in my opnion, l would like the servo to be mounted to chasis.

TBH l would try the savox you have in your hyper first. That's what l tried to say in my previous post. 20 kg servo is too strong IMO unles there is an upgrade to mount T\B servo separate from radio box.

Only 7.2kg... Not worth switching, get either the 0235 or 0236 as I said above, it'll work a whole lot better :)

Savox 235's or 236's will be too big for throttle brake as they use a standard size servo.

Try the savox you have, 

Ideal, figured it doesn't take that much force to move the carb and break linkeage anyway so will see how i get on. If it don't give up on me before i get the allturn one i'll be happy and can get the hyper running again too.

Just bought a set of KM branded pull starter and air filter pre filter set in black for just a 10er, and will do the mesh mod at the same time too when i fit it all.

Of course he's on about the throttle :lol:

Duhhh, bit of a facepalm moment there.

Why do I always relate servos to steering! :lol:

Thats why you always need to read the question carefuly. Or someone could of gone and ordered a 60 quid servo that wont fit  :thumbsup:

Ideal, figured it doesn't take that much force to move the carb and break linkeage anyway so will see how i get on. If it don't give up on me before i get the allturn one i'll be happy and can get the hyper running again too.

Just bought a set of KM branded pull starter and air filter pre filter set in black for just a 10er, and will do the mesh mod at the same time too when i fit it all.

while this is indeed true the brakes are a different story.

the more torque you have from the servo the harder the pads will press on the disks, making the car stop quicker.

Do any of you have any carry bags or something similar to transport your bajas after a run when they're dirty?

I've only got a little VW Polo to cart it round in so it lives on the back seat with a bin liner under it at the moment lol so need some suggestions

Thats why you always need to read the question carefuly. Or someone could of gone and ordered a 60 quid servo that wont fit  :thumbsup:

I read the question carefully, but I had steering servos on my mind and got it a bit ar5e about face :)

Plus he could have just put the Savox in the steering anyway so it wouldn't have been an entire waste :P

Edited by Oh How Original

Checked the plug colour last night and it's a little bit black, but i think that may have been from running so rich, and it's only been run for one tank since it's been leaned out.

I'll run another tank through it tonight and check it again

Couldn't run it last night as the pull start failed on the first pull, just minutes after ordering a spare lol dang it!

Hope that s not a sign of things to come  :shockingscary:

Couldn't run it last night as the pull start failed on the first pull, just minutes after ordering a spare lol dang it!

Define failed? Cord snapped or just come loose?

Make sure to engage the pullstart before actually firing up the engine.

So many people rag and rag at the pullstart and end up breaking them, not saying you have but it's what happens.

Pray Tell did you look at this, handy :thumbsup: http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/16916-hpi-baja-starting-video/                       hpi I know but basically the same thing.

Brand makes no difference?