• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Baja is just wrong!

Disco.dave

I know there is no real reason why a Baja can't be mentally fast with a brushless system, but it just seems wrong to me. My Baja is all about the noise and smells and a silent, odourless vehicle just wouldn't have the same attraction. Does everyone feel the same?

• Like 1

Yeah, but it's not all about speed. Like I say, I love the noise and smell if it. Even when I open my shed it raises a little smile when I smell the 2 stroke mix

Edited by Disco.dave
  • Like 1

yes...

but when 'different' becomes 'wrong' then a line gets crossed really.

They may not be for you....but that's just personal choice. Doesn't make a brushless Baja any more wrong than a petrol one....just makes it wrong for you

• Like 1

Think petrol offers a lot more in the tinkering about area,than an elctric motor,but with the sort of powerfull lipos that are around,it gives you more or less plug in and go,with a bit less noise,which can somtimes be a problem,myself am petrol,even when its being a pain in the arse.

Goldman :030:

Each to their own I guess, I can't stand baja's or petrols ;)

As said, each to there own :)

I dont like electric (runtimes/buzzin noise instead of growling noise etc!)

but gotta admit, seeing a largescale electric is...weird, not just baja but ive seen a few diff ones up close including an FG a while ago, just didnt do it for me!

Brushless Baja's have as equal a place in largescale as petrol IMO; it is the advancements in high voltage electronics that have led to their slow rise to popularity and it was a natural progression for individuals to want to convert.

I agree, speed isn't everything, however, a sweetly running Baja leaving rooster tails of grass behind it is a thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying sight. They shouldn't be able to move like they do....but they do,consistently.

Add to this the fact that because they are electric,ergo quiet, the opportunity to run them is much increased, and being plug and play, far less hassle to take bashing.

There is also a brushless Losi 5ive, but if I say anymore I feel I may incur more wrath than is advisable on a public forum....

I quite like the brushless largescales, even like the noise as it winds up. the only thing I don't like is the very high amperages with which I'd be like to prod with a screwdriver and potentially kill myself. it is also expensive and lipo's at these voltages have to be well maintained, which would be something I wouldn't be able to do as this really is a part time hobby for me, so I couldn't just leave it in the shed for a few weeks without it potentially going pop in some way, and or catching fire when in use or not in use for that matter.

There are higher initial set up costs, if you don't have the required charging set up; lipos for them, if you have the time/knowledge to look after them properly, will provide many many hours of runtime. I believe long term that brushless would cost less to run than an equivalent petrol model, were both bashed equally.

There is no 100% guarantee that your esc won't vent, as with any brushless set up, but if you buy right and set up properly, other than chassis/running gear maintenance, you'll spend less time on the bench and there is very little that could go wrong, something that can't be said about a two stroke engine....

As people have said every model has it's place and I certianly wouldn't turn down the oppourtunity to play with a BL set up.

But for me from when I first got a Tamiya Mad Bull over 10 years ago, petrol was my aim. It always seemed the peak of the hobby in my opinion.

Now I have petrol I love it and would never sell for nitro or electric. I may have to try BL in the future but the battery maintenance seems like a PITA.

Battery maintenance is no different to running any lipo, you need higher end kit to charge effectively but these chargers just do everything you need, once parameters are input.

Downside on the 5b is nil, as batteries slot in with the shell on, not the case for my 5sc or the Losi 5ive tho but no biggie. 6 batteries fit in a backpack, unlike fuel cans....

I've not run any Lipos so wouldn't know the first about the dos and don'ts.

If going out for a bash then I think the bajas tank is ideal for solo bashing. I regularly chuck car, controller and minimal tools in the boot and go out without more fuel.

For people without a car getting a 2 litre fuel can to chuck in a back pack would give you around 3 hours run time with a full tank aswell. Not sure what kind of run time you get from batteries though.