• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my first savage need advice

fatboyneil

I already found the brake parts missing and won a full set on auction from USA its mainly odd screws that have been changed or are the wrong type the more I take apart the more I find wrong the only thing I need to look into is weather to change parts to the x4.6 version now or in time and if the three speed box is worth getting oh and does anyone know where I can get a shell from really cheap I've spent so much already it might have been cheaper buying a new one

Edited by fatboyneil

The three speed box is a pain in the bum to be honest....as setting up the shift points is no fun at all - to get at the 2nd to 3rd shift point you have to pull the gearbox apart, which is a rather tedious job to put it mildly!- stick with the 2 speed and just get the gear ratio sorted for the engine, I've got a nice clutch bell/spur gear ratio diagram somewhere...will dig it out.

Well carried on with the strip down this morning only to find the rear diff gear is beyond use I'd have given it about 10 minutes of use before the last of the thread was gone 5E5CE1B0-A676-4751-A456-61FACDD8D491-802 so do I carry on and see if its a good diff inside or just buy two new ones thing is I'm now Skint till payday but that's what credit cards are for

Edit just found this isn't there ment to bea bearing in there 23030B64-FF03-49F8-AA70-BC99D592AE58-802

Edited by fatboyneil

Hmm.. They certainly look 'well used', and the lack of bearing's not the best sign. You could take the bulkheads apart and give them a good clean before writing them off completely, as the there aren't any teeth missing by the looks of it, and there might be some hours in them yet (can't really see how rounded the the gears are for the grime mind!!).

Another possibility, depending on how far you want to push the credit card, is getting whole new front and rear ends, with the latest spec bulkheads and BP diffs already in, but you'll also have to get a whole mass of other parts if you go down that route (bumpers, SHD driveshafts/axles etc etc). There's a couple of used bits on ebay at the moment, which look good - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hpi-savage-xl-front-or-rear-gear-box-with-alloy-diff-/300892396085?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item460e959a35 (that seller has got a pair of them at the moment), or new, which come with other bits you'll need to convert into X spec (shock towers and body mounts) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-savage-xl-flux-complete-diff-pinion-29-9-front-or-rear-shock-tower-/111053020811?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19db469e8b

Yeah I might save the cash and just buy the gear instead get it running with as much as I can with what's already there then look at upgrading to the x4.6 version but looking at the cost of all that's needed I should have just got a new one

Well damn eBay I've gone and ordered new diffs bulkheads shock towers front and rear bumper parts engine plate as this ones snapped and a new two speed gearbox oh and a screw set or two just need a shell that's in one piece and maybe some servos

Can anyone tell me are the hpi sf1 and futaba s3003 any good I've never had either before and I think they're both plastic geared

the hpi servo is pretty poor - I have a futaba s3003 for the throttle on my savage- it works and has been for 2 years so It does me fine :thumbsup: But yes there both plastic geared I'm fairly certain.

I did the same on my first savage, spent twice what I paid for it...but I do have a pretty sorted truck now- oh and I ended up with enough spares to build a 2nd one  :whistling:  - so pretty good value for money  :xd: I would use the servo's till they die- they will do the job. When your truck is up and running and blasting about over stuff and putting a smile on your face, you won't care what you spent. What's done is done, don't regret it, start enjoying it  :thumbsup:

i've just brought 1 of these neil, http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sc-1256-coreless-digital-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/31644 , it came highly recommended. although quite expensive if you need 2.

i can't say how they are, havn't fitted it yet

whn asked these were  recommended aswell, http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/359784 or

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-metal-geared-high-torque-servo/rc-car-products/35546 ,   both quite abit cheaper too

Edited by Scott34

Thanks Scott I've already got all three of them in other cars I prefer the savox myself but think I might need something a bit beefier than the1256 for Tha savage steering and with maxing out the credit card might have to go second best for a while anyway and get a hd 1501 I've got a savox 0252 spare but might swap that to one of the buggys I think one still has a 16kg bluebird in it that will do the savage for now

Oh and anyone know how much this futaba t2pl radio is worth I've got a flysky so this isn't needed but we'll see

You could of savage a big bloody chunk of cash I have the rear and front ends for sale

are they the flux 1's Jordan? do they include the bulkheads, diff gear and bevel gears mate? 

It's just me I looked to see if anyone has ever had a problem with them and they don't seem to cause any trouble so I won't stress about it thanks grumpy I'm just waiting on parts to arrive from USA now think I've bought a whole car in parts if so ill be sticking this lot back together and selling it

You can always upgrade the TVP's and driveshafts to XL size once you've had a play with it stock length, it's an easy step once you're set which ones you're going for. They're great fun without being XL though - more maneuverable in the air and easy to wheelie, but not as stable at speed.   

Well got the degreaser today so attacked the first diff just look at the pictures its not had it but won't take the sort of force I'm going to put them through

just wondering if my ansmann deuce diffs would fit

Edited by fatboyneil