• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my first savage need advice

fatboyneil

I just won this ebay auction http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hpi-savage-/161007632557?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mPM1H0Ac38k1vJQouR47AVqQVWM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc and i'd like a bit of help what version is it and what hop ups or changes towards the x4.6 should I go for I already have a force 4.6 engine but what should I really be looking for

So what do i need easy access diffs sounds good but expensive and there's that many different tvps which are best as in can take the most abuse I already know the big bore shocks are ment to be good think the cheapest I've found the alloy ones at is

The TVP's are just a cosmetic change.

The important thing is to check the diffs. Early Savages had 2 spider diffs, and if you have those...you want ot upgrade to 4 spider current 'X' standard. Also worth fitting hte BP ring and pinion gears while you are at it.

You can either fit the old 8-shock setup or plastic big bores if you don;t want to spend a load.

Says reverse is fitted...but it's debatable whether it's worth the hassle.

Also may well have 14mm wheel hexes. These are not good as they are prone to strip. Replace with 17mm buggy hexes...not stock 17mm Savage hubs. Then get some decent 17mm wheels and tyres. I run 23mm hubs on all mine just to be on the safe side!

The easy access diff cases make life easier....but you need to change the shock towers at the same time. I don;t consider them essential as I spend a lot of time getting my diffs sorted in the first place so I don;t need to access them at all :)

Alloy diff cups, HD outdrives, BP ring and pinion, 10K silicon oil and a bit of time shimming...and they are good for ages.

the alloy big bores aren't worth it, i've had them, tbh the stock 8 shocks are fine, the best tvp's are the innovative rc ones 

http://www.innovative-rc.com/black-anodized-standard-p-336.html

the bulk heads aren't that expensive tbh

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-composite-gear-box-bulkhead-set/rc-car-products/39203

other than those two bits the only thing i can strongly recommend if your a hard basher is the alza bulk head brace kit

http://shop.alza-racing.com/parts/23-savage-bulkhead-brace-conversion-kit.html

it stops the pins getting ripped out and prevents damage to the bulk head

and as nitro says the diffs etc, i forgot that early savages don't have the 4 spider diffs, innovative make some very nice diff cases as well

Edited by norcoforever

no worries buddy, it's always good to be able to help and for that money definitely  even if it needs a bit of loving it's a good price. once you get used to the TVP's they are a really easy truck to work on :) i regretted selling my first one so had to buy another one when i got the chance lol print off a copy of the manual if you can and go from there, the hpi manuals are pretty spot on, if you find your wanting the more up to date features just download the savage x manual and cross reference the parts 

Edited by norcoforever

Looks to be nice and clean  :thumbsup: but obviously it depends on the condition of the parts that you can't see in the photo. For a moment I thought blimey that's a damn bargain..then read the description that it's a roller  :xd: hard to say if it's a good buy really, if it has decent servo's fitted and you find upgraded diffs etc...then yes seems nice, but you may be needing to spend quite a bit of cash to get it sorted. Savage parts are pretty cheap but It will add up quickly...especially getting it up to 'X' spec- personally I would just throw a cheap engine in it, buy some standard shocks and dual fibre brakes and go bash the hell out of it...if you like it start upgrading when things brake..If you don't sell it on as a roller at a similar price :thumbsup:  

Well it arrived this afternoon already started the strip down and found I can't take two of the wheels off think he's used red threadlock and by the looks of it its going to need a bit more than just what the listing said D55987FB-8630-4D8A-BA53-9A54F36CFBF5-651

8226A8E9-095E-49A7-8FCF-2082B976ECD9-651

65D082D2-1735-48BE-8756-27FEC1C6EE82-651 and why does it have one normal driveshaft and three cvd shafts E8961DA9-2B9D-416C-9F76-AEC5E8A48E71-651

You 100% on that I've got to start finding the right bits to fix this thing up having trouble finding all the spur gear parts just need the spring and washer thing part 87024a and 87024b the bushing I take it I can use a bearing

That is definitely a 25 (although the previous owner(s) may have added or swapped parts with later models), the reverse threaded axles and nuts are silver rather than black. Why Hpi did that is a bit of a mystery. It doesn't look too bad though and most savage parts are interchangable, make a list of bits you need and PM If you like as I have boxes of savage odd's and end's  :thumbsup:

You 100% on that I've got to start finding the right bits to fix this thing up having trouble finding all the spur gear parts just need the spring and washer thing part 87024a and 87024b the bushing I take it I can use a bearing

I'd agree with Scumpy - it's a 25.

I noticed from the pic that the truck doesn't seem to have any linkage from the servo to brake, or the brake cam sticking out of the tranny casing. Maybe you've already taken them off? If not, then part numbers are 86092 for the cam/piston, and 86356 for the linkage :thumbsup:

If you want to make a great upgrade to the brakes, which I heartily recommend, then go for the dual fibreglass disk break kit, part number 87025 - it's awesome, and the savvy really needs better stoppers on it than stock.

Spur wise, you could get the complete assembly here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-NITRO-SAVAGE-52-T-HEAVY-DUTY-STEEL-SPUR-GEAR-ASSEMBLY-HPI-77132-/190823407540?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c6df61fb4

Like Scrumpy, I've got a shed load of savvy spares kicking about, so let me know if there's anything you need.

Hope that helps  :)

Edited by grumpygramps