• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:18 Ripmax Husky

Top thread!

I could do with some assistance please guys.

I have a couple of jackals for messing about with but I would like to move away from the all in one esc/rx option which comes with it.

I dont want to increase its speed as for where I run it its fine as is. I also let my son use it to practice with!

So my questions are:

A ) Can i use another RX with the transmitter as I like the fact you can turn the speed down for my son!

B ) Could I just replace the servo/esc with something cheap and cheerful from say Hobbyking etc?

C ) Can you run a transponder from a splitter on the steering servo (in its current set up, not if i change the RX)

Any help/advice would be welcome. So few threads on the internet about this cracking little car!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

not or sure if this has been mentioned yet but having an issue with my Jackal. Servo is unmanageable. Can't seem to correct it. When I use trigger on controller it moves, (servo) causing it to be impossible to go in a straight line! ? 

Not it sure if servo has had it or if this is fixable?

• 2 weeks later...

Just been out with my toys with the MRs and now she wants us to get matching R/Cs.... Im thinking of a pair of these...

Only problem is, Id want to go brushless, do these have a combined ESC/RX? So id have to change radio systems if I changed the ESC? Also what Lipos from Hobbyking fit?

Thanks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Guns said:

Just been out with my toys with the MRs and now she wants us to get matching R/Cs.... Im thinking of a pair of these...

Only problem is, Id want to go brushless, do these have a combined ESC/RX? So id have to change radio systems if I changed the ESC? Also what Lipos from Hobbyking fit?

Thanks

Hi, just recently converted my jackal to a brushless set up and couldn't be happier. 

Had to change radio gear but managed to keep stock servo. Used a dremel to hack up stock esc box so could use the servo mount.

esc/motor kit was £17.20 off eBay, is capable of 2s which is perfect for off road fun. 3s I have a feeling would need much more upgrades to metal parts and would break stuff easier. If you want some fun, this is a good set up. I use a 2200 mah 2s 30c lipo which fits perfect, just needed to bend one retainer (back) back a bit in order to fit wire in.

cant seem to upload pics but if anyone wants any, send me an email: [email protected]

happy bashing ?

On 30 May 2016 at 11:57, Guns said:

Thanks for the reply, is the Husky based on any other model?

Sorry for delay. I believe it's similar to the jackal. Just different shock towers and bumpers. Gonna order some for my jackal and see if I can get them to fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread...

Guys, can I ask what 2200mah battery you are using with this? Brand / type. Is it okay with everything else being stock?

Im using the Dingo but I believe its pretty much the same chassis as a Husky.

Edited by Twist

I used the Turnigy lipo's or the Hobbystore dynamic packs, last a while on a 5500kv brushless. You would need a lipo alarm if you decide to run it on the stock electronics as it doesn't have a lipo cut off. 95% of the Ripmax 1:18th series ran the same chassis and layout, just different shocks/towers etc.

Edited by NuttyProfessor
more info added.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NuttyProfessor said:

I used the Turnigy lipo's or the Hobbystore dynamic packs, last a while on a 5500kv brushless. You would need a lipo alarm if you decide to run it on the stock electronics as it doesn't have a lipo cut off. 95% of the Ripmax 1:18th series ran the same chassis and layout, just different shocks/towers etc.

Thanks for the info, I know nothing about RC cars but a quick learner so hopefully I dont have to ask to many stupid questions!

From what I understand the lipo cut off is to save the cell from complete discharge, would that not also be the case for the stock battery then? Would I need a 2S battery like the following?

http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.asp?WPG=HOB_HomePage1&itemid=DYN2S2200

Sorry to be a pita.

Edited by Twist

exactly that one but you need to trim out the battery blocks to squeeze it in. Stock is NiMh battery so doesn't need a cut off but because the stock esc isn't lipo ready, you can use one but just need the alarm instead, will also make it quicker too but I would suggest changing the gearing I you intend to run on grass, motor will overheat and so will the stock esc/RX.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NuttyProfessor said:

exactly that one but you need to trim out the battery blocks to squeeze it in. Stock is NiMh battery so doesn't need a cut off but because the stock esc isn't lipo ready, you can use one but just need the alarm instead, will also make it quicker too but I would suggest changing the gearing I you intend to run on grass, motor will overheat and so will the stock esc/RX.

Thanks again mate, could I not avoid the cut off by using a 2200nimh battery? Also, I see MS advertises this as a replacement battery for this model...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/voltz-1600mah-6-cell-7.2v-straight-pack-w-micro-connector/rc-car-products/38974

Heres a 2200mah nimh I spotted...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/orion-sport-power-2200mah-stick-pack/rc-car-products/31485

Id prefer longevity over increased speed if that makes sense.

Edited by Twist

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2016 at 20:27, NuttyProfessor said:

lipo will also give you longevity too as it is a constant discharge, NiMh pulse a bit and just don't last that long especially at that size.

Learnt a lot over the past few weeks and everything you said makes so much more sense now! When the dingo dies it's getting some upgrades, looks really cheap to make these things fly :good:

11 minutes ago, quinnlouis said:

Best cheap combo to go brushless any idea without changing radio gear

If you're going to do this, buy a Dromida MT18. I bought my Mrs a Husky and me a Brushless Dromida.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dromida-mt4.18bl-monster-truck-brushless-2.4ghz-rtr/rc-car-products/389814

Its £35 more, but the Brushless conversion on this requires a new servo and reciever, this comes all in one.

The Dromida on 2s Lipo is amazingly fun and stupid quick. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, quinnlouis said:

How quick @Guns

30mph according to the manufacturer. I thought that was pretty near the ripmax anyway. I think the 2s will just be quicker off the line where the nimh will build up speed.

Edited by Twist

2 hours ago, quinnlouis said:

Anyone selling one. RTR

You can buy mine.

Is a jackal but can be converted to husky.

upgraded to brushless, comes with new transmitter - haobao, 2200 lipo, stack of spares inc couple ally parts unused.

email me [email protected] and I'll send pics. Have 2 sets of wheels and a spare part for near enough everything lol

The brushless is much quicker than the brushed, although for a garden it might be too much. The Brushed Husky REALLY impressed me for the money, but I knew id end up going brushless so for an extra £45 it was a no brainer for me