• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

same old thread

russruss123

so i see these threads popping up a lot so thought i would start one .

converting to brushless but dont realy know much about brushless systems .

so im gonna be buying an esc and motor soon and dont realy know the crack with all these kv numbers and amps etc.

i want my 1/8 buggy to be fast but not so fast im gonna be ripping tyres off every trip out . with plenty of torque.

idealy from what i have already read 4s looks to be a good start point .

so wat would be a good combo to be looking at ? would like to be waterproof if the price is right .

any ideas guys and gals ??? :console:

i been on there m8 but aint realy got a clue wat to get pal

would probably end up with a boat motor lol

another question is how long will 5000mah lipos last as the ones i use for my crawler last 3-4 hours ?

I get anywhere between 20 and 45 mins from my 5200's it really depends how hard u are on the throttle.

I use a 120a esc 2-6s with 2200kv 4 pole motor in my buggy and is great around the track and for bashing.

My son uses an 80a esc with 1950kv motor and keeps up fine (same chassis) so it really depends how you gear and how deep your pockets are.

More than okay mate, just got the same Esc for my truggy project and they get very good reviews for their price, also got a tenshock motor too which seem very good. Funshobby are a great company, i recieved my order last week from Hong Kong overnight! They use DHL for the free shipping and mark the price down so you don't pay import tax :)

I'm using a Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mA 35/70c and has been fine so far. Would have got a higher c rating but that's all HobbyKingUK had in stock. So happy with it that I'm going to order another one after Easter

The important thing is matching components, so they all work together

A motor should have a max current draw listed in it's spec. The ESC shuold be able to cope with that and more for a bit of headroom. They have a high burst rating for shock loads, but your ESC won;t last long if it has to give 100% all the time. Then you make sure your batteries can supply what your ESC can draw and your motor needs.

If your ESC can pull 150A, then your batteries have to be able to supply that or you could end up with puffed and dead LiPos

It's like a jigsaw puzzle.....only without a picture to follow.

I went for a Leopard 4082 2000KV motor for my truggy. The specs on this show it can handle 25V and 140A.

So I went for a 150A ESC...the XERun150A. That can take 150A constant plus 950A burst, so is bigger than the motor.

Then I went for 5000Mah 40C batts, which can handle 200A ...which exceeds the constant supply the ESC can handle and exceeds the need for the motor.

Then it's just a question of gearing it right

^What he said; the motor draws the current, the esc just has to be able top 'pass' it along without cooking in the process, same too with the batts ( that's the simplified explanation anyway ). It's a technicality but an important one... *burn him!*

Nano-Tech batteries was recommended to me but I've only charged it 5 times so early days.... If they have stock, I would recommend the 45/90c to increase the safety margin, only $10 more!

can i use some xt60 connectors for this application or will i require different ?

for $10 extra i will try the 45/90 c lipos :thumbsup:

I would go for the XT90 connectors or the EC5 connectors- better current handling as they use larger bullets inside. Depends if you prefer blue or yellow really- the xt90 are neater looking by a little harder to solder maybe, the EC5s you solder the wire to the bullet first, then insert it into the plastic housing.

xt60s are hideous....get any lipo and you'll have to chop down the wires to fit those poxy bullets...

EC5s are gorgeous...you can store the lipos anywhere and they cant short....and you can connect/disconnect them in the dark/with one hand....sorted

how long run times could i expect from a 5000mah 45-90 c nano tech ?

How long is a piece of string?

It depends on a lot of things- gearing, model weight, terrain, ambient temps, throttle smoothness & usage- anywhere from ~20 minutes up to nearly an hour if you don't drive like a loon....