• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Some of my Friends

atom3624

Might have another run before it gets too dark/cold!

Had a check of the steering blocks, as they carry that much-maligned 'Integy' word.

Found one of them needed a little adjustment.

Looked at potential options and found New Era Revo Monster steering blocks whick look nice.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Took the Maxx out for another little blast.

I'd played with the steering buckles at the front, resetting the rods as I wasn't happy how I'd done it before - too much thread showing on one side and also wasn't certain both were the same length.

I didn't have to re-trim much, perhaps 4 units on the Spekky DX3.0.

The slightly tightened slipper worked and up went the nose, but after a few runs, it was slipping a little again - not a bad thing I suppose.

(If that's the only complaint, it's not bad I reckon.)

Again, several blasts up and down, and tried to open up to full again. Despite the brutal acceleration, I need more space!

As it was starting to drizzle, I called a halt - too cold as well.

Had a quick feel around again - all apparent temps mildly warm for the motor, to cold - no change. Way colder than the MERV.

Colder than I seem to remember it was with the Mamba Monster, yet with the same motor and larger pinion, all is substantially colder - changes are only the XL2 as I'd tried it with the Turnigy nano's. This was the reason for changing to the XL2.

Al.

Sounds good, but fail to see how an ESC change can make such differences? Hey ho.

I've locked my slipper right up and gone with the centre diff, instant improvement. Top speeds are easily achievable with virtually no wheelies. Wheelies are ok, but not all the time and no good for drag races! No-one got near me at MSUK 2012, they couldn't accelerate fast enough.

Is this it?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/center-differential-kit-e-revo-emx-TRA5614

I would need to look at how to apply it to a 3906.

No wish to change that gearbox, nor to go to single speed - more fun.

Must admit, I never get wheelies in the lower gear, but that's obviously the slipper .... slipping.

I think any shaft that's not 'aftermarket' is a Traxxas 'X'-reference shaft.

Gears are OTB / UltraMaxx.

Slipper's Robinson + Kershaw thrust bearing modification - I've tightened it up a bit more.

Can't see how a CD can be installed - 2-speed takes up all of the room and nowhere for a viscous coupling.

I'll have to 'make do'. No major complaints so far and don't really plan on 'blasting to destruction'!!

If it snows and sticks - doubtful here in St Helens at the moment - then it'll be time for the LST2 Raminator and the FG MT Blue Thunder - always good fun.

I've Kold Kutter screws in an old set of tyres for the FG MT, and it's traction is nothing short of amazing on ice, etc ...

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Another 'project' is coming to an end ...

Hot Racing 55t steel spur just arrived from The Toyz for the MERV Digger.

It has a HR 50t at the moment, so it's a little 'over-geared'/too tall for the big Digger wheels.

It's pulling it up to max at 3S, but getting a little too warm.

Should have that installed tonight, if there's not too much chaos when I get home ...

It's only a 5 minute job - 10' tops.

Al.

Fitted the Hot Racing steel spur.

Quite simple.

Slide out the ESC, remove the upper motor screw, rotate then remove the motor, unscrew the gearbox screws to permit movement, and finally removed the spur, removed the friction material, replaced into the new spur ..... sorted.

Will try it out when I can.

With the weather the way it is, I'll probably not try it out this weekend.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had some fun in the (wet, slushy) snow!!!

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/19926-260113-01-snow/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/19928-/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/19930-/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/19932-/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/19934-/

Reminded me of the first time I took an RC in the snow - it was the Juggernaut, but in standard trim in 2000 !!!

Jugg now has stretched ESP suspension, HUGE (very wide) alloys and tyres, Traxxas EVX2, 2x 550 motors, gearing changed from 15t to 20t.

It was great fun.

The MERV was flying, then the motor was just spinning away!!

The slipper was literally SMOKING!!

I'm leaving them both to cool and dry, then I'll investigate.

I removed the MaxAmps batteries out of the MERV - perfect - no problem.

I kept the Venom 20C 5Ah 2S batteries in the Jugg, but disconnected - they're fine - still - must be 5 years' old now!!

Al.

Sorry mate, I meant the snow!!

Wife would love to see some of them gone I'm sure, but you know how you get attached to them.....

Didn't even get the Raminator out today - that's the one that normally gets some stick when the snow's out - that and of course the FG MT.

Jugg did a really good job.

I'll take a look at the MERV's slipper in a minute.

Al.

Yeah, I've done similar things in the past, had to cut the budget down as I was hopping up everything I could. My original e-Maxx is now 95% hop-up! And yet it's funny how you still look at it as the same car, but in reality it's pretty much gone!

Rehab is for quitters!

Just brought the Raminator down and am charging up the batteries.

10:00 is still too early for the neighbours.

Reckon anytime after 11:00 I'll fire her up weather and LRP permitting!!

All snow has gone apart from the 2 snowmen in the garden!!

Al.

Took the Raminator out for a couple of tanks - went pretty well when cold and cool, but obviously changed its tune when hot - nothing too drastic.

It gave me a visual reference point for later ....

..... LATER ..... brought out the Mental Maxx for a little run - it makes the Raminator seem VERY slow!!

Love the noise of the Ram, but don't like all of the tinkering just to get it running properly.

Started really opening up the Maxx - still can't get full throttle before I have to brake!!

It's MILES faster than the Raminator visually!!

Perhaps part of that is the screaming of the gears, but it just gets across the dirt so quickly it's silly!!

NICE!!!

Al.