• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is the Savage XS too much for a novice?

nelual

As I'm just getting into the hobby I was going to hold off buying anything serious until I felt I could assess, diagnois and fix the Lunchbox without needing to look anything up.

I have to be honest though, I'm finding it hard to stop looking at the Modelsport shop without nearly clicking "add to cart".

I am strongly leaning towards the TT MT4 G3 but I'm also liking the Savages.

I was wondering about the Savage XS but after reading the Big Squid review I'm thinking it may be a little too much for a newcomer with very very limited RC skill and maintaince knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what they are like to control and work on?

(BTW Thanks AJ, I'm not ignoring your advice but just recently started considering the Savage XS)

Well my first rc car was a savage xl I and at first I was scared to strip it but I had something in my engine brake about 2 weeks in. S I had to get my hands dirty a bit unlucky for a new comma into the hobby but I would not change a thing I still have that car an I can strip it down to nothing in a few mins so. Just go and get the xs you will soon get use to it and know the mechanics of the truck like the back of your hand

Whatever you choose, choose something well supported with lots of spares that are easy to find ( google for parts or part numbers and see if it's easy or hard to locate common parts like suspension and diff parts etc which tend to be the ones to break ). A solid 1/8 buggy or truggy makes sense, especially a well known brand, though the savages are very easy to find parts for too ( XS is very new still however, and being so small makes it harder to work on which is another consideration with any model- do some research and look for any common complaints ).

being so small makes it harder to work on which is another consideration with any model

That's kind of what I'm worried about. Getting put off after choosing the wrong starting base.

I have tendency to over think anyway, so I think I'm making to big a deal. Maybe I should just take a plunge. I'm not too bad at picking stuff up so I'm not too worried I won't be able to pick up how to fix stuff. Just worried that I'll blow ALOT of money on share learning curve when I could have made it easier on myself (if that makes sense?). Also thinking that with the cost of these things, I need to make my first choice a good one, not sure if the missus would allow me a second chance!

Do modelsport and the like do Christmas sales etc? Just wondering if there's a good time to buy?

2nd on the over thinking stuff...... As for the missus and a second chance good luck or do as I did and buy her something first :yes: then they cant complain...can they?

Once you take the plunge you will probably want another anyway.... I went for a hyper 7 as it was cheap and loads a spares but now I want a savage (monster truck) for the rougher places I want to bash.

I have always believed the ideal number is...what you have+1 :thumbsup:

Edited by Muddy

My XS was my second proper car after my Slash 4x4. It's a great car for sure. Yes, being small it can be a little awkward to work on, but not actually really that much harder than a larger model. It's only really getting the motor in/out that's a chore. I wouldn't let that put you off, and it can even be a good thing. If you get one and start working on it most other cars will seem easy. If you do get one then you might as well get the XS SS and build it yourself. That way you will have no worries about being able to dismantle it.

I think I might just say **** it and order something. I reckon another reason I'm over thinking is that there is sooooo much to choose from!

It sounds like I won't be disappointed no matter what I choose.

The more YouTube videos I see of the savage xs the more I think i would get frustrated not being able to control it on the ground and in the air. It looks like a beast.

I guess it depends what you want from your RC...

Monsters=great looks...good fun....easy to get looking unique...not as stable as buggies/truggies

Truggies=Easy to work on...very very tough...most are cheap to get spares for/hop up....tricky to get them looking unique

Buggies=Similar traits to truggies but more agile and tend to be lighter so good for jumps.

I notice you are london based..where abouts ?

I have a monster and a truggy you would be welcome to have a close look over

The xs is a great little truck for sure and I enjoyed it very much from a fun perspective but the drive train is a problem and wears very quickly resulting in a fair amount of wrenching.. The tt mt4 however is just as much fun and is tough as old boots, I love mine and it's in my opinion easily as tough as any savage an a great deal easier to work on..

Dumb post sent from my smart ass phone..

Edited by smash

It sounds like I won't be disappointed no matter what I choose.

Ermmm....

That falls under the research suggestion- there are plenty of models that are nothing but trouble & are best avoided, gotta google or search for them and you'll quickly see any common questions or problems keep popping up which is a red flag to look out for...

I notice you are london based..where abouts ?

I have a monster and a truggy you would be welcome to have a close look over

I lIve in Rotherhithe and work in Victoria. Might be a bit far but the offer is really appreciated,

The xs is a great little truck for sure and I enjoyed it very much from a fun perspective but the drive train is a problem and wears very quickly resulting in a fair amount of wrenching.. The tt mt4 however is just as much fun and is tough as old boots, I love mine and it's in my opinion easily as tough as any savage an a great deal easier to work on..

I'm still leaning towards the TT but saw the savage in a local shop and thought mmmmm..... its cheaper and smaller and only needs 2S. But the more I look and the more I add up, it doens't actually work out that much cheaper and I reckon when the TT is in front of me it would look as sexy!

Really....there is s o much choice it can get baffling...but you have made a few choices in terms of your posts so far...

You want a brushless monster truck :)

The Savage XS is a cute little beast, but the stock electrics seem to be a bit marginal, hence the popularity of the SS kit version. You can choose a better motor/ESC combo and build in the required upgrades. That said...it's a bit of a jump in at the deep end job then, and may not be the best approach forst time out. Buy a RTR truck and at least you know the motor/ESC and gearing will work.

The trouble with the top end trucks is price. Look at a Savage Flux HP or Revo, and you will be spending

A few of the NLB guys are running HPI Trophy Flux truggies, and I am prety impressed with how capable they are. Pretty tough and seem to handle well. Not indestructable... Handle better than a monster truck and HPI spares support is always good.

Thanks for the post :thumbsup: .

I was considering the Trophy. Its lovely looking and seems very popular..... I do see LOADS of spares available. Its a tick for the Trophy if the handling is better, I know I'm going to need to get a fair bit of practise in so sweeter handling will make it a lot easier for me to get into the hobby further.

I think I'm pretty much off the Savage XS now. I don't see the benefits against all the others except for the price tag. Although I'd prefer to spend a little more to get something that suits much better.

if you think the savage xs isnt suited to you

decide reasons why ?

to small / to slow/fast etc build this list up then decide

i thought my nitro savage was a handful till i played with me mate mt4 g3

i think xs is a good starting point