• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

1544_370921356337898_1077910036_n.jpg

Hello everyone,

My first post and delighted to be part of the VLB/MP owner's thread. My wife bought me the Metallic Edition Midnight Pumpkin for Christmas completely out of the blue. I haven't messed around with an RC car in over 20 years when my dad had a Tamiya Ford Ranger, so I am born again and a total n00b.

Before jumping right in to build the Pumpkin, I decided to do a load of research online and thanks to forums like MS-UK, Tamiyabase and Tamiyaclub I have been learning about getting the most out of these great little cars.

I hope to start building in earnest over the weekend as I have been waiting for the delivery of parts. Here's what I am planning/have bought:

Futaba S3152 servo

Tamiya Super Stock BZ motor

Ansmann 75mm shocks front

Ansmann 85mm shocks rear

3rd/5th shock mod (70mm Reely shock)

Metal bearings

Alloy heatsink, body mounts, wheel hubs mounts, front/rear suspension mounts from Miniature Manufacturing

JunFac axle mount

Ansmann 4700mAh Mi-MH battery pack

I will be happy to update my progress. I can see this hobby burning a giant hole in my wallet! I am already wondering what my 2nd project should be.

Ed (a Brit in Frankfurt)

Hi m8 welcome to the forum and I think your the 1st with pumpkin on this topic about time lol sounds good with what your doing can't wait to see it dun good luck with the build don't for get to post the pics of the build...... :-)

Nice spec list Ed, enjoy the build.

What are the miniature manufacturing front/rear suspension mounts, the LB kit comes with the U brackets for mounting oil filled shocks, presume the pumpkin does too??

Good luck,

Nito

Nice spec list Ed, enjoy the build.

What are the miniature manufacturing front/rear suspension mounts, the LB kit comes with the U brackets for mounting oil filled shocks, presume the pumpkin does too??

Good luck,

Nito

Correct. I don't need these and bought them before the oil shocks. Should have finished research before going parts crazy! :-). I may buy a second bashed up lunch box and use them for my now un-unused crappy standard shocks for my son's run-around.

We live and learn!

I did exactly the same except ironically I'm still waiting for mine, still I'm planning to use them when they arrive on my Jun Watanabe Hornet build when I get around to it.

Lol

Nito

Whoops edit, I was talking about the U brackets at the suspension tops, I take it you're referring to the base suspension spring cup part in metal instead of plastic for use with stock shocks?!

Edited by NITO

i have a set of chrome's,windows and the dark chrome tail gate and frontend (rare parts) i was planning on doing something with a MP but didnt buy the shell

just got an 18t pinion for the truck that should be fun when i get time to fit it, i have a mod for the motor mount im working out

18t is the right size to fit but you need to lose the motor mount and fit shorter screws

It all depends on what motor you have 18t on the lb makes it slower with a silver can with a more powerful motor it will make it faster an less prone to standing upright on full power

Just been out in the street with my lb and it wouldn't wheelie. At first I thought it was just a lack of grip on the damp tarmac but had a closer look at the wheels weren't spinning. I think it might be the hubs spinning in the tyres. Does this happen or is it more likely to be something else? Acceleration was pretty slow as well but it sounds like the motors is spinning up ok, just something else isn't keeping up. Is it a good idea to glue the tyres to the hubs?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Lunchbox is stock except for ballraces and this is probably about the 5th or 6th time I've taken it out.

Its probably just the wet slippy conditions, if your using nimh and the battery isnt full that can also be the cause.

If its working as it should otherwise dont worry, it will wheelie in the dry/full battery.

If its not getting upto speed at all or appears to be sluggish it could be the pinion??

Out of interest where did you order from?

ahh ok, thought it was elsewhere as I got the same battery + charger in a bundle elsewhere for my son ;)

I have a standard but ballraced one with the same battery and it wheelies fine (but not in the wet ;) )

The tyres on mine do not need glueing with the stock or even sport tuned motors.

If you still think it maybe that just glue them, wont do any harm :thumbsup:

Roy has this exact BL setup and it looks great. He's put a vid up of it on his thread. With the BL younwill need to glue the tyres, one of mine keeps coming off as it keeps balooning and its only done about three runs,

Sport tuned is a bit of an upgrade, very reliable.

I have both and can appreciate both, I guess I would say brushless as I bought one and gave my son the Sport Tuned.

I bought from this seller, message him and tell him to mark low value and mark as gift and he will.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

No taxes paid :thumbsup: Naughty me.

Reliability wise I cannot say (havent owned Brushless long enough), I know the sport tuned is bulletproof though!

This brushless is not waterproof as standard so will need 'proofing or being careful!

Lunchboxes are so much fun in the mud and puddles.

Did you get the stock ESC or an Ansmann/Mtroniks ones??

Edited by roy8846

Brushless are the best very reliable but you don't really need to go down that root for a lb...there only for fun not massive up grades unless you really want to....

Well I put a hobbywing brushless combo in mine a 9t 60a esc and it flew big time till it ripped the gear box casing apart big time after 30 seconds not worth it.... ;)

A 14t Sports turn motor with a 12t esc will be enough or you will just over load the gears there only for fun there not traxxas slashs lol.... :)

Edited by jason3249

Yeah I was planning to keep it fairly close to stock and not go mad on upgrades but then I started looking at a load of videos of brushless lunchboxes and then on ebay and common sense was soon forgotten. I'll stick to the original plan and get the sport tuned.

The lunchbox can handle a brushless just fine! 9t is a bit mad though lol.

Mine is 13t and not really a full size 540, its pretty quick but not enough that the LB cant handle it.

Its been fine on gravel, road and grass these last 2 days.

From a google search I found most people had no probs with a BL Lunchbox?

Anyways whatever you choose will be more fun than stock (If thats even possible!)

Sports Tuned :

• Like 1

Yer as long as its over 13t whats the point when it cost more to buy when you can just get a good brushed motor....

People just fit brushless combos to the lb/mp to look cool you dont get any more out of its waste of time sports turn brushed motor is good enough..... ;)

Like I said it's not a traxxas slash what's the point of wasting money when you can get a very good brushed motor and it's cheaper...

If the lb could handle any thing under 10t then it would be worth it but it can't it's only for abit of fun it's not a rocket.....

If it was with doing I would of been the 1st to do it lol

Iv got a brushed motor what will keep with any brushless lb/mp on youtube cos you can't full pelt the lb why it's brushless as it will just destroy the gear box and i can go lower turns as the brushless motors are to poweful...

Just stick with a good brushed motor...

Edited by jason3249