• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

Finally finished putting my roller together, running HW WP-SC8 with Castle 3800kv 1410, Altrun servo. Besides the traxxas steering arms the rest is all stock, will replace anything else as it breaks. Thanks to Dark Night for the advice on the the ground assault tires they are awesome, the servo advice to  :thumbsup:

This was my 2nd attempt and painting a RC body, few not so straight lines but happy with the out come + it only took all of 5 seconds to flip this thing and put few scuffs into it. Might shorten the castle motor cables they really long, after one full run on short grass the motor temp was 49.

IMG_20150816_130129_zpsywjrscpe.jpg

IMG_20150816_130011_zpspsoir0ex.jpg

Looking good, like the shell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Thinking about getting a new savage xs with the raptor body been looking at battery options anyone got any real world measurements for what fits i know HPI state 143x47x31mm

Thanks

Damon

The tray is 150mm long, 47mm wide, and 31mm high. But you should allow some space for the wires, so the official measurements are basically right.

The tray is 150mm long, 47mm wide, and 31mm high. But you should allow some space for the wires, so the official measurements are basically right.

Ok thanks any links to battery's from hobby King? I was gonna get 2s & 3s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't buy the black hardcase turnigys unless you plan to wrap up. I tried 2 in my xs and after a run both cases was cracked open around the wires. 

It's good hpi swapped the esc buy the motor was a beast basically a 4000kv castle 3800kv with cheaper stator. You could swap that for the castle one tho. 

I think it's a hobbywing combo now. 

I'm thinking about buying my 3rd xs it's just a tank of a mini rc. But ill go with a tame combo so it doesn't eat itself. I never wanted to buy all the hd cups at £50+ for the truck.  

I wanted another full size one but I see they no longer sell them!

I normally use Turnigy nano tech for my rc's

Hopefully the new motor just as good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening chaps

Are the any options out there to replace the hex hubs with something thats stays put with a grub screw or something? also what weight diff oil do you guys use?

3 hours ago, sunny said:

Thanks for the links

2 hours ago, froggy8 said:

i believe xs is the rtr version and ss is the kit version.

i would get the ss as there are some upgraded parts

hopefully someone will come along and confirm this

That is correct i don't think they do the SS kit anymore

• 8 months later...

hey guys

ive been back out with my XS & it really needs a steering servo with some power the stock one sucks!! I was looking at the Savox SW0231 what do you think??

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sw0231mg-waterproof-high-torque-std-metal-gear-digital-servo/rc-car-products/377022

• 3 months later...

Finally finished my upgrade of my XS Flux Raptor (I still have not used it as of yet...still brand new).  Did I miss anything?

#10105-11 - Pro-Line Big Joe II 2.2” Tires Mounted to Desperado Wheels (4) *installed*

#101942 – HPI Racing Plazma 7.4 5300mAh 30C LiPo Battery

#106730 - HPI Racing Center Universal Drive Shaft Front/Rear (2) *installed*

#106709 - HPI Racing Universal Drive Shaft Savage XS Front/Rear (4) *installed*

#109922 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x19mm (1) *installed* (1 spare included)

#109923 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x15mm (1) *installed* (1 spare included)

#109926 - HPI Racing HD Diff Shaft 5x23.5mm (4) *installed*

#110650 - HPI Racing SS-40WP Servo (1) *installed*

#106712 - HPI Racing E-Clip Eliminator Suspension Shaft Set XS (1) *installed*

#108020 – HPI Racing Aluminum Locking Hex Wheel Hub (4) *installed*

#108169 – HPI Racing Aluminum Threaded Shock Set (4) *installed*

#106732 - HPI Racing Adjustable Upper Arm Set *installed*

T-Bone Racing Thrasher Front/Rear Bumpers (2) *installed*

T-Bone Racing Chassis Skid Plate (custom) *installed*

Bad Horsie Shock Covers (4) *installed*

Edited by vettehigh

49 minutes ago, vettehigh said:

Any idea how long it would take to change all 20 bearings?  Looking into the RC Car & Truck Ceramic Lightning Yellow Seal Bearing kit from Boca

depends on how quick you work lol

i find a 100% rebuild takes around two to three hours, this is changing all the shock oil, diff oil and cleaning every part.

6 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

depends on how quick you work lol

i find a 100% rebuild takes around two to three hours, this is changing all the shock oil, diff oil and cleaning every part.

My XS is still brand new even with all the upgrades.  I should have changed the bearings, but I forgot all about that.  The whole truck was apart before, now it would have to be all taken apart again just for the bearings:mellow:.  I wanted to make this Flux a complete upgrade of every single part that I could change before I ever ran it.  

Edited by vettehigh

42 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Has it ever been run?

If not then you won't need to change the bearings.

As long as they don't look or feel rough then they're fine and would be a waste of money changing them. 

The truck is brand new (completed all upgrades as posted above) and has never been used as of this posting.  Any idea how long the stock bearings last?  I didn't feel like spending $103 for the 20 Boca ceramic yellow's.  Just want to make it as bulletproof as possible:D 

12 minutes ago, vettehigh said:

The truck is brand new (completed all upgrades as posted above) and has never been used as of this posting.  Any idea how long the stock bearings last?  I didn't feel like spending $103 for the 20 Boca ceramic yellow's.  Just want to make it as bulletproof as possible:D 

it depends on how you drive the truck and where you drive it. I only change mine when they need it, no point it throwing something away unnecessarily.  

spending $103 on bearings for this truck is just pointless and idiotic. The stock bearings are fine and upgrading them won't make the truck anymore BP. When they do go have a look on rc bearings, it will most likely cost you around £15 for a whole new set, a lot of people on here us them and haven't had any problems. 

After having a look though your list above it seems like you've just bought every upgrade that HPI sell even it it wasn't required. Rc's break! If you wanted something truly bullet proof then i'd have looked in the 1/8 market but there's still a good chance it will break you if you drive like a mad man.