• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight upgrades and hop-ups and meny more

Sheilstar12

I am sure these questions have already been asked, but this is a massive thread!

Q1. Is there a more elegant way to mod the battery holder than simply snapping / cutting the arms off to accommodate LiPo batteries. I know its an easy mod but would kinda prefer a replacement tray with velcro straps or something?

Q2. Are there any alternate shells available, something a bit bigger, its a bit of a pain squeezing every thing in under the stock cover?

Q3. Any recommendations for harder wearing tyres, the stock aren't going to last long with LiPo?

Best regards,

Chris

You could use velcro but to be honest all it takes is cut the holder with a craft knife while the holder is still on the chassis.

Phat bodies do shells for the mini's if they have them in stock, losi have a new style shell too for the mini 8.

The only tyres I have found for off road are rally style for 1/10 touring wheels so new wheels are needed, I have used emb stock wheels but they don't last long, any tyre I have used will not last too long when bashing I am afraid.

Si

You could use velcro but to be honest all it takes is cut the holder with a craft knife while the holder is still on the chassis.

Phat bodies do shells for the mini's if they have them in stock, losi have a new style shell too for the mini 8.

The only tyres I have found for off road are rally style for 1/10 touring wheels so new wheels are needed, I have used emb stock wheels but they don't last long, any tyre I have used will not last too long when bashing I am afraid.

Si

Thanks Si, Phat Bodies have some nice looking shells, the "Turbo" looks like it offers a bit more room! None of any in stock though, do you know what the deal is? Do they restock regularly?

The last I heard they where supposed to be sorting some new designs but that was the beginning of the year and I haven't seen or heard what's going on since, I have used Velcro on the sides of the side guards and inside the bottom of the shell I can sit the shell a little higher than normal and fit everything under there.

Si

The last I heard they where supposed to be sorting some new designs but that was the beginning of the year and I haven't seen or heard what's going on since, I have used Velcro on the sides of the side guards and inside the bottom of the shell I can sit the shell a little higher than normal and fit everything under there.

Si

Interesting, just velcro and not using the pins at all?

Yes just Velcro strips and don't use the mounts, on my emb I have raised the body mounts using some composite washers.

Si

Hi guys, just received these in the post: http://www.modelsportuk.org/newsite/fastrax-street-rally-block-tyre-mounted-on-10-spoke-neon-yellow-wheels-4-/rc-car-products/387198. For some reason the wheels wiggle/seem buckled. it did not do this with the default dish wheels that i had. Am i being stupid? :P

Short video clip:

https://youtu.be/wbhQ-kFG9f0

Looks like they need a shim to enable the nuts to tighten down properly, some 1/10 wheels are like that the threaded part of the axle comes too far out and the nut does not sit tight enough onto the wheel a washer behind the nut should sort that out.

Si

Funny you mention this, I'm working on a 3d printed mini 8 battery cradle which uses Velcro to secure the battery and screws into the orginals battery posts holes. As per eighth scale Electric buggies.

Would be interested to see how thats developing. 

I did spot something on Shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com/product/HHLA9H6KA/losi-mini-8ight-battery-plate?li=search-results-1&optionId=42076918) but it was very expensive,

grrrrrrrrrrrr finally got the losi back together with new 60a Turnigy esc and Carisma 5700kv stuck a 3s li-po in and bang stripped the bloddy spur gear!!!!! Any advice on upgrade!!! Linky would be wicked and maybe next time I will check the pinion position before racing up the road lol!!! 

Can anyone tell me if this would be ok to put in my mini 8ight?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG90S-Metal-Gear-Geared-Micro-Tower-Pro-Servo-For-Plane-Helicopter-Boat-Car-UK-/400620847763?hash=item5d46dd0293

Spec's seem decent for the the price? I do already have a hi-tec servo in one of my mini 8ights but im letting the kids and the miss's use the other one so i don't want to spend too much on it really.

Edited by nbkpsycho