• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

52 minutes ago, azibux1 said:

Thank you very much!

I had no idea what 32DP was but now it makes sense lol

I will get one of the ones you recommended! 🙂

This is the 10T I got:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-10-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353153894972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They might have 15/17 or higher teeth.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, azibux1 said:

They don't tell you the inner diameter for the shaft.

Watch out for that.

Corally has 5mm (1/8) or 3.17mm (1/10).

Above one doesn't say which.

One more thing to bear in mind.

With larger pinion and higher speed, there will be a bit more stress on the drive train.

And motor/ESC get hotter.

And you might end up with cogging when starting.

But then you always have a fall back option. :-)

• Like 1

Oh 9pm delivery from dpd and modelsport of the new hobbywing 4000kv motor. I may have had a few too many brewdog beers already but that is some excellent packaging of what looks like a great motor. Makes a change from the last one in a jiffy bag. Will have to read how to use this program card thing tomorrow with less blurred vision.

I think I may be woken up early tomorrow by my son as he was very excited. God bless paracetamol in the morning

• Haha 2

Motor arrived all put together and took her for a spin. Very very fast indeed but on a high speed run hit a stick flipped the car and totalled the shell and front mounts. Think I will use the programmer I bought to reduce the power.

Question - are there any better stronger shells available as the pastic just flew apart. Was thinking of buying another shell and glueing this one inside. Also think I may firm up the rear suspension, possibly look at attaching a wheel to the rear or may even look over the posts about taking the tires off and firming up the rears a bit. 

Did I read here the tyres are glued on?

12 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Motor arrived all put together and took her for a spin. Very very fast indeed but on a high speed run hit a stick flipped the car and totalled the shell and front mounts. Think I will use the programmer I bought to reduce the power.

Question - are there any better stronger shells available as the pastic just flew apart. Was thinking of buying another shell and glueing this one inside. Also think I may firm up the rear suspension, possibly look at attaching a wheel to the rear or may even look over the posts about taking the tires off and firming up the rears a bit. 

Did I read here the tyres are glued on?

Yes you can firm up the body shell with scrum tape and I used silicon mastic to glue it  as it's like a rubber when dried and very stretchy and scrum tape firms up the body . 

Yes the wheels are glued on    there are many ways to get them off just have to keep at them . I used nail polish remover   which works  but turned my wheels pink .     Yea yea.  

• Haha 2

Does anyone have a working  reciver for the carnage /outlaw   that they dont use any more . As I'm looking for a cheap reciver that works on these 2 cars . 

Or if you guys can pop a link to one that will work   but funds are low   so cheapest possible plz . Thanks 

40 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Does anyone have a working  reciver for the carnage /outlaw   that they dont use any more . As I'm looking for a cheap reciver that works on these 2 cars . 

Or if you guys can pop a link to one that will work   but funds are low   so cheapest possible plz . Thanks 

Hi @Iain .R

I have a working original receiver/controller combo currently on the carnage.  Was planning on changing it for a Dumbo combo at some point so I guess that time might have come?  All working and in good nick.

drop me a PM if you need

• Thanks 1

With regards to my suspension issue:

I have no idea how to change shock oil; does anybody have a YT link that demonstrates how to test:

Shocks

Springs

Wheels

before decided that it's FUBAR and throwing money at it?

(Or the other way, if I upload a video with a specific test, would somebody be able to advise what to replace/repair?

thank you

28 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

cant see anywhere to just buy the tyres they seem to all be tyres and rims already mounted. Was going to harden up the inside of the tyres especially at the rear to try and keep the front down a bit more to prevent flips.

Let me know what you found, interested in this

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TRX said:

Hi @Iain .R

I have a working original receiver/controller combo currently on the carnage.  Was planning on changing it for a Dumbo combo at some point so I guess that time might have come?  All working and in good nick.

drop me a PM if you need

PM ed you m8 

23 minutes ago, TRX said:

With regards to my suspension issue:

I have no idea how to change shock oil; does anybody have a YT link that demonstrates how to test:

Shocks

Springs

Wheels

before decided that it's FUBAR and throwing money at it?

(Or the other way, if I upload a video with a specific test, would somebody be able to advise what to replace/repair?

thank you

Hi I went on U tube  just put in changing your shock oil on RC there was about 5 or 6 vids I went thro as many as I could  just to see if anyone was different way changing oil . 

But they was most all the same . 

Take the bottom off the shock and remove the spring .

1st thing I did was make sure the small nut at.the bottom of the shock barrel was tight   

As one set I bought on brand new outlaw had leaked there was no oil in them at.all . 

So check that there tight . 

Then undo the top nut  with the piston pulled all way out  once the nuts off  check the oil if it's full then i guess it ok .

Empty fill it

if there some oil in there an it's not full empty it out  dont mix oils.  

Fill it up with new oil . 

Then make sure the rubber cap is in the nut . 

Push the piston up once or twice  to get any air out pull the piston all way back out should still be full . Then put the top nut back on . 

Once it's nice and tight  push the piston up and it should be firm . Put spring back and bottom cap . 

If iv got any wrong or all wrong plz say  as that's what iv done with my carnage shocks.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidBH said:

cant see anywhere to just buy the tyres they seem to all be tyres and rims already mounted. Was going to harden up the inside of the tyres especially at the rear to try and keep the front down a bit more to prevent flips.

Go on to ftx webb site they sell them  just wheels or just tyres.  But I cant find the inserts tho . 

So i used £1 to £2  hair donuts   xxl size   from asda or pound land i put them in 

As there plastic there no chance water fill up unlike sponge.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

Go on to ftx webb site they sell them  just wheels or just tyres.  But I cant find the inserts tho . 

So i used £1 to £2  hair donuts   xxl size   from asda or pound land i put them in 

As there plastic there no chance water fill up unlike sponge.  

Was on that website three times this morning how I missed them I have no idea. Maybe a bit too much sauce last night. Tyres out of stock at modelsport but I can add them to the ever growing list of things I need. Like the hair donut idea

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Was on that website three times this morning how I missed them I have no idea. Maybe a bit too much sauce last night. Tyres out of stock at modelsport but I can add them to the ever growing list of things I need. Like the hair donut idea

I need help with the "Hair donut" WTF is it?

Also, is the ftx part number: FTX6310B

9 minutes ago, TRX said:

I need help with the "Hair donut" WTF is it?

Also, is the ftx part number: FTX6310B

Ha ha   it's like a scrunchy  hair thing but it's made of plastic .just look in ebay hair donut you see it . It's the xxl size i used . 

1 minute ago, DavidBH said:

Ha ha it's a woman thing as I got 3 in the house stuff like this is always on the shout   mum shes got my hair scrunchy    she won't give back my curling tongs    .you get the idea . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jens said:

That's the Carnage with the Hobbywing Max10, running on 3S.

Sheer power.

IMG-4857.jpgIMG-4858.jpgIMG-4859.jpg

It's just crazy fast isn't it. Have the same setup although your car looks completely intact. Just ordering up all the new parts and will strengthen the shell etc for next weekends runs. Still couldn't get full throttle with the max10 and lipo 3s need a really massive area as it covers the ground so quickly. 

Have you any idea what sort of speed it is actually doing as compared to the original brushed with NiMH it feels like it's doubled the speed

1 minute ago, DavidBH said:

Have you any idea what sort of speed it is actually doing as compared to the original brushed with NiMH it feels like it's doubled the speed

No idea.

Likely to be double.

But my son is now faster than me with the Rustler.

Initially, in front of the house he pressed full throttle.

Car flipped backwards and his new shell cracked.

Went emotional and he lost the mood for a moment.

Then he was very carefully with the speed.

2 hours later, he couldn't get enough speed on the sports field.

He enjoyed mid-speed wheelies, followed by front wheelies and some side wheelies.

IMG-4834a.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DavidBH said:

is this for real?

4 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Ha ha it's a woman thing as I got 3 in the house stuff like this is always on the shout   mum shes got my hair scrunchy    she won't give back my curling tongs    .you get the idea . 

Run for the hills mate, save yourself while there is still time

• Haha 1