• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

5 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Can some nice chap please measure the rear dog bones on the carnage from end to end please 

many thanks 

Would love to help, but im not a nice chap.........................just kidding looks like 95mm from each little t bar, just to add, i did not remove dogbone to measure

Edited by Jack Reacher

6 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Can some nice chap please measure the rear dog bones on the carnage from end to end please 

many thanks 

Hi

Measured off my Carnage 2.0, rear dogbone:

100mm overall

also 94mm c-c between the stick-out pins

part no. FTX6323

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2020 at 11:21, EdwarddR said:

Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of a datasheet for the stock FTX 550 brushed motor (15T)?

I'm going to try to measure the stock FTX 550 (15T) brushed motor myself, on a test bench (we have 2 : Vantage and Carnage 2.0). 

I have a tachometer (ebay). I'll report back measured values when I've done that.

• Thanks 1

Broken Steering Servo (stripped)

Anyway, learning the ropes here, earning some stripes, and D.S. is doing a (good) (bad) job at crash-testing the Vantage.

•  Broke a lower rear suspension A-arm (and lost the dogbone) - fixed that
    then
  • Bent the front shock absorber shaft - fixed that (whole shock absorber)
    also constantly getting gravel in spur / pinion gear housing (which I've taped up).

Then I 'detuned' the Vantage from 23T to 17T  (to go 25% slower for him).  

Not very fair since my Carnage 2.0 is quicker (but at least isn't as damaged from collisions).

Built some ramps, got airborne

Now he's broken the steering servo on the Vantage. It kind of got stucky or jammy or a bit jittery around center set point, didn't steer effectively in one direction.

I tried the basic checks, calibration. After I removed the servo and took a good look in it, turns out one of the white spur gears is partially stripped in one section (the outermost spur gear, they are in a set).

Ho - hum, I'm going to upgrade the steering servo.

And teach him not to collide so much with things. Or supervise him better.

Any good recommendations for steering servos from MS but  under £15 ?  I'm thinking a 4.5 to 6kg / cm servo is  fine. I don't know if analogue or digital is needed.

Oh - and is it necessary to go metal gear now, for steering servo?

A bit sorry that the 'servo saver' didn't do it's job and absorb the impact. It had 1 job....

thanks,

- Ed

Edited by EdwarddR

This is all you’ll need. Amazing value. Shipping get be a bit expensive though but the good thing is the Vantage is the same car as the Hobbyking Vandal so parts are much cheaper. see what you need and order at the same time to save on postage.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-vandal-1-10-4wd-electric-racing-buggy-arr.html

parts

You’ll find the shock shafts for £1.26 so can stock up on a few bits. Just make sure you get them from the same warehouse otherwise postage will increase.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=vandal

Edited by Nickarla
  • Like 1

I used a banggood one in my Bugsta and it is fine, so should be alright for a vantage:

https://uk-m.banggood.com/KS-3518-Digital-Servo-20KG-Waterproof-180-Metal-Gear-Large-Torque-For-RC-Robot-Arm-p-1422906.html?rmmds=search&act_poa=SKUA43264&cur_warehouse=CN

They are about £10 with postage, will take 2-3 weeks to arrive though. Supposedly 20kg- probably not but fine for the 1/10 scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 27/08/2020 at 19:55, EdwarddR said:

I'm going to try to measure the stock FTX 550 (15T) brushed motor myself, on a test bench (we have 2 : Vantage and Carnage 2.0). 

I have a tachometer (ebay). I'll report back measured values when I've done that.

Hi

So I measured one of the 2 FTX motors (the Vantage) using the 'drill press' method with my dremel (I can set from 3,000 to 30,000 RPM)

directly coupled to the 550 motor, driving it as a generator. RPM are using a proper tachometer. And I consistently got:

Kv = 2900

Please note these measures are to +/- 5% only. Range of RPM was 2,800 - 20,000 and range of V was 1.0v to 6.9v.

Motor is a stock FTX 550 shipped with the Vantage (15 Turn), it has only been used about 2 months or 20 sorties. YMMV.

I tried to measure the no-load current and the Stall torque but I need to find a better (safer, and more reliable) way
to do that or I need an extra pair of hands. I might try to do that again on a rainy day in winter, we'll see (I have other 550 Motor: Carnage 2.0)

-------

For the Steering Servo I opted for a CORE-RC 9016 MG from MS

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-9016mg-servo-9kg-16-sec/rc-car-products/388927 

rationale:  9kg/cm,  and metal gears. And in budget.  

cheers,

- Ed

On 27/08/2020 at 20:04, EdwarddR said:

Broken Steering Servo (stripped)

Anyway, learning the ropes here, earning some stripes, and D.S. is doing a (good) (bad) job at crash-testing the Vantage.

•  Broke a lower rear suspension A-arm (and lost the dogbone) - fixed that
    then
  • Bent the front shock absorber shaft - fixed that (whole shock absorber)
    also constantly getting gravel in spur / pinion gear housing (which I've taped up).

Then I 'detuned' the Vantage from 23T to 17T  (to go 25% slower for him).  

Not very fair since my Carnage 2.0 is quicker (but at least isn't as damaged from collisions).

Built some ramps, got airborne

Now he's broken the steering servo on the Vantage. It kind of got stucky or jammy or a bit jittery around center set point, didn't steer effectively in one direction.

I tried the basic checks, calibration. After I removed the servo and took a good look in it, turns out one of the white spur gears is partially stripped in one section (the outermost spur gear, they are in a set).

Ho - hum, I'm going to upgrade the steering servo.

And teach him not to collide so much with things. Or supervise him better.

Any good recommendations for steering servos from MS but  under £15 ?  I'm thinking a 4.5 to 6kg / cm servo is  fine. I don't know if analogue or digital is needed.

Oh - and is it necessary to go metal gear now, for steering servo?

A bit sorry that the 'servo saver' didn't do it's job and absorb the impact. It had 1 job....

thanks,

- Ed

You mentioned you "detuned the Vantage" by going from a 23T motor to a 17T motor?

The fewer winds (turns) the motor has the faster it is supposed to go, just in case you weren't aware? 
If you want make the Vantage go slower the quickest and cheapest way would be to restrict the forward throttle throw on his transmitter - be that by only setting the forward end-point on ESC setup to say 75% of full throw? etc..

Or have a look at the 27T and 35T range of motors from Core RC: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-motors/rc-car-categories/9920/992015&ManufacturerID=1140

My best recommendation for a servo would be this: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-8-2kg-0-11s-low-profile-digital-servo-metal-gear/rc-car-products/433036
It's £4 more than you were looking to pay, but for that you get 8kg torque, 0.11s speed and its metal geared.

Metal gears are important because they wont strip as easily as plastic gears. The 8kg of torque mean that you wont have any issues with the servo struggling to turn you as you are hard into a corner etc, and the speed means that you arent going to struggle through quicker turns as the servo tries to keep up with your inputs.

As far as the servo saver goes (I have the FTX Banzai, which is basically the onroad version of the chassis you have, with onroad wishbones etc) you are best off supergluing the servo saver up and using an aftermarket servo saver. The stock servo saver e-clip is clipped into a plastic steering body, and after too many hits the e-clip will rip the top of the plastic steering body off (the channel where the e-clip locates) - this happened to me last week.

A servo saver like this one from Kimsborough (25T (tooth) for the Etronix fitment) should be ok, although you will need to make your own hole in the middle of the servo saver: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kimbrough-futaba-savox-servo-saver-small-25t/rc-car-products/375370

Hope that helps

Yeah sorry I was not clear

I have stock FTX 550 motors (15T)

What I meant is, I hobbled his Vantage by swapping the stock 23t pinion gear for a 17t pinion gear, with resulting -25% RPM (but increased torque).

Thanks for the tips 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2020 at 10:40, c0sie said:

A servo saver like this one from Kimsborough (25T (tooth) for the Etronix fitment) should be ok, although you will need to make your own hole in the middle of the servo saver: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kimbrough-futaba-savox-servo-saver-small-25t/rc-car-products/375370

Hope that helps

Agree with everything above except you’ll find that a servo mounted servo saver like this won’t fit under a Vantage shell...... as I once, rather annoyingly, discovered the hard way.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a video on youtube somewhere, the only differences between the original Carnage and the V2  were the body shell and the wheel colour.

Might have a slightly updated ESC and transmitter, but 99% the same.

As the Bugsta is the same chassis as the original Carnage, I would 99% think that it too is the same as the V2 Carnage

Here is the video I saw

• Like 1

quick question.........is the carnage v2 and bugsta same rolling chassis

Hi, yes it is. I ordered the aluminium carnage chassis for my Bugsta and it’s the same.
The vantage is slightly different.
There are also some cars on Banggood which I think are largely the same, branded as vrx racing. They appear to do full diffs for under £5, which look the same as the FTX ones.

• Like 1

Right guys, wife wants to keep the outlaw, so i think its time to go brushless, it will be on NI-MH and not looking for speed, prefer battery life and torque.........can you guys suggest a brushless combo that wont break the bank so racerstar or goolrc, and will i need to change pinion from stock

Right guys, wife wants to keep the outlaw, so i think its time to go brushless, it will be on NI-MH and not looking for speed, prefer battery life and torque.........can you guys suggest a brushless combo that wont break the bank so racerstar or goolrc, and will i need to change pinion from stock

I use 3660 surpass one in the Bugsta and it’s fine. I went for the 3300kv version and kept the same pinion /spur ratio. Works well on 2s but you can run NIMH if you like.

I can’t get it to link but if you look on Banggood for 3660 you’ll find it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

Why stay in nimh? Lipos are better in every way, longer battery life in particular.

Maybe he isn't confident using something that combusts easier than NiMhs, or isn't confident in LiPo storage/charging/handling practices?

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

Why stay in nimh? Lipos are better in every way, longer battery life in particular.

I do use a lot of lipo`s, keep in mind my main rc hobby is rc planes, gliders delta wings reptile dragon new rs rambler all that stuff so have lipo`s from 800mah 2s up to 5000mah 4s and all sizes in between, 2 ammo box`es full, but i like NI-MH for cars, i can leave them charged, also when i come back from flying if i have a few lipo`s that need [putting back to storage i can use the toolbank rc charger to swap the power from un used lipo to the car NI-MH packs