• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Yep, the internal diffs are never an issue. Grease, oil etc is not the issue. Slipper is not the problem. It is as many have said the soft pot metal, it really is naff. The flex in the chassis also contributes as it pulls the crown from the pinion. It is these two issues that constantly cause the gears to break.

I have tried shimming the pinion further into the crown gear. It looks like it should improve things, I just haven’t been able to get out enough to test. All other shimming attempts (side to side movements) have failed. Daveyboi, how have you shimmed yours?

Got my shock oil, alum hex hubs and rubber seals. I'm broke. How much did I spend on this thing?

The ftx carnage is just a blank rc that gets modified hard. Does anyone keep it stock? Nope. That desire for performance is what's expensive. The carnage has no real personality. So we give it one. I guess that's the beauty of it. It's weak so it has to grow. I'm probably never going to get rid of mine. I may get more rc cars but I don't think I'll easily let the carnage go. 

As for the drivetrain. Maybe grease it?  Or maybe replace it with another models. Someone needs to buy a new diff. And compare it with a worn one 

I’d be interested to know whether anyone has noticed a difference using the ali chassis plate. There are a few upgrades but unfortunately the main one that’s needed (gears) are unavailable.

Edited by Nickarla

Cant remember of the the top of my head how i shimmed it  ill tear it down and check tonight.

I ran the alloy  chassis for a while on my old carnage. It stiffens the drive train  etc and stop the chassis flex, in turn keep stuff in place unlike the bendy stock item. The downside is where the stock item absorbs some of the crash/jump landing energy, the alloy one does not, it instead transfers the energy to other weaker components such as a-arms.

I currently run  the stock chassis with the carbon top plate, stffens chassis enough to keep things in line.

Im also looking at the crown and pinion, yeah the metal isnt the best, so will have a look at a hardened steel version ASAP.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jamil237237 said:

Got my shock oil, alum hex hubs and rubber seals. I'm broke. How much did I spend on this thing?

The ftx carnage is just a blank rc that gets modified hard. Does anyone keep it stock? Nope. That desire for performance is what's expensive. The carnage has no real personality. So we give it one. I guess that's the beauty of it. It's weak so it has to grow. I'm probably never going to get rid of mine. I may get more rc cars but I don't think I'll easily let the carnage go. 

As for the drivetrain. Maybe grease it?  Or maybe replace it with another models. Someone needs to buy a new diff. And compare it with a worn one 

One thing I'd strongly recommend for shocks is Green Slime. I don't rebuild shocks without it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daveyboi73 said:

Cant remember of the the top of my head how i shimmed it  ill tear it down and check tonight.

I ran the alloy  chassis for a while on my old carnage. It stiffens the drive train  etc and stop the chassis flex, in turn keep stuff in place unlike the bendy stock item. The downside is where the stock item absorbs some of the crash/jump landing energy, the alloy one does not, it instead transfers the energy to other weaker components such as a-arms.

I currently run  the stock chassis with the carbon top plate, stffens chassis enough to keep things in line.

Im also looking at the crown and pinion, yeah the metal isnt the best, so will have a look at a hardened steel version ASAP.

Do you know how much they would be? 

Also, I like the carbon top deck but I can’t have one on my newer chassis as it has the spur gear cover to stop stones etc from escaping.

I'm going to tighten my slipper. That thing, if it wears out, I'm done for. Time to tighten it excessively. I like having immediate power delivery. Wears out everything else but. I think it's too loose at the moment for the kinda power a brush less setup has. Wait, someone was wondering how to prevent the slipper from slipping. Could use super glue, and use super glue debonder when I need to replace the spur.

On 23/09/2018 at 22:29, Nickarla said:

Yep, the internal diffs are never an issue. Grease, oil etc is not the issue. Slipper is not the problem. It is as many have said the soft pot metal, it really is naff. The flex in the chassis also contributes as it pulls the crown from the pinion. It is these two issues that constantly cause the gears to break.

I have tried shimming the pinion further into the crown gear. It looks like it should improve things, I just haven’t been able to get out enough to test. All other shimming attempts (side to side movements) have failed. Daveyboi, how have you shimmed yours?

Popped front diff out . As in the pic i use 3 shims non crown side before bearing and 2 shims crown side before bearing. I also use a TRAXXAS teflon washer (Part no TRX1985)  behind the pinion to push it into the ring gear. I just pack gearbox full of grease befor reassembly .

Have slight wear on the crown and drive gear but nothing major as of yet. Hope this helps :)

WP_20180925_17_49_39_Pro.thumb.jpg.bc6fa5284372533182d3abb5f8fcc34f.jpg

25 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

I'm going to tighten my slipper. That thing, if it wears out, I'm done for. Time to tighten it excessively. I like having immediate power delivery. Wears out everything else but. I think it's too loose at the moment for the kinda power a brush less setup has. Wait, someone was wondering how to prevent the slipper from slipping. Could use super glue, and use super glue debonder when I need to replace the spur.

Do that and you will break the spur gear or diffs. The slipper reduces chance of direct drivetrain damage to driveline. Tighten it a bit but not all the way.

• Like 1

That’s the way I tried. It caused a lot of friction and didn’t work well. I need to take the car out with the shimming I’ve done on the pinion gear. It pushes the pinion right into the crown gear, reducing movement a lot but means that it no longer spins on the bearing. Will report back when I try it out.

3 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Do you know how much they would be? 

Also, I like the carbon top deck but I can’t have one on my newer chassis as it has the spur gear cover to stop stones etc from escaping.

I will look at getting the crown and pinion  done in hard steel like the spur sets. I reckon two ring and pinions would work out at about £15 - 20 ish for the set.

I run the 32DP steel set on my carnage, run fine without the guards : )

Edited by daveyboi73
  • Like 1

Ah ok .

Yeah Neil at RW wont do bevel gears, ive tried in the past :(. I know a few engineers who can do this sort of thing, and i usually mess around on my dads lathe/ mill etc too :).

If i can find a cost effective way to sort these i will.

You should tighten your slipper all the way then back it off half to a full turn...

If you find your slipper isn't doing its job even if it's fully tightened, then you'll need a new slipper shaft spring....also, taking of your slipper and scuffing it up with sandpaper is a good way of rejuvenating a smoother slipper pad

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

My clutch was loose. Tightened it. Still loose, flipped plates tightened it to the max. I think it is still loose at high rpms. Or I'm crazy.  Which is possible and I have thought something was Brocken when it's not, many times

Go get yourself a new slipper shaft spring...don't forget to use a nyloc nut!

How many people have the Vantage, and how many have the Quanam Vandal? 

I have seen lots of posts suggesting that the Vandal parts are cheaper and drop in, but there doesn't appear to many people on here who have actually bought the car to start with.

Why is that? 

6 hours ago, Tintin said:

How many people have the Vantage, and how many have the Quanam Vandal? 

I have seen lots of posts suggesting that the Vandal parts are cheaper and drop in, but there doesn't appear to many people on here who have actually bought the car to start with.

Why is that? 

Thats a good question. You can pick up the brushless vandal rtr on hobbyking for £103..... That is a lot of car for that price.... Cheaper than the brushed vantage. The wheels and tyres are not as good as the ftx ones, i tried those when i had my vantage. Oh and i dont like the rear wing.. But other than that its the same. Not sure how the electronics compare to the photon etronix stuff but at that price who cares.