• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Had the same with mine, the wrong plug  on the esc. Had adapter though, so not a huge problem.

glad you finally got this sorted, and that you can agree now that brushless power walks all over brushed. 

Only a wee bit is say .   Lol     I mean really thinking taken it all back out an going brushed    . 

Yea right  ha ha ha 

Not been out with my son for a while then just remembered I hadnt got him new tyres. Due to the speeds involved now I think I need something much firmer for the carnage 2 with the hobbeywing brushless motor etc. Any thoughts on these or are they too cheap https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193997892791?hash=item2d2b2cecb7:g:JvMAAOSwCChgXlGf

or someone here mentioned these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154220196248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 but it does mention they are soft.

Thanks as always for any advice.

6 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Nice, at least you're  getting on with it better now 👍 I think the hobbywing are one of the better value for money wise esc/motors out there.

Still waiting for my slipper, makeitbuildit take bloody ages to post stuff 🤬

Yea it because they dont keep anything in stock or very little   so when you buy off them they buy off the supplier so you have to wait for the supplier to deliver it to them then they forward it to you . . I stopped buying off the  for this reasone  as others sellers it's just a few pence more and quicker.  

5 hours ago, DavidBH said:

Not been out with my son for a while then just remembered I hadnt got him new tyres. Due to the speeds involved now I think I need something much firmer for the carnage 2 with the hobbeywing brushless motor etc. Any thoughts on these or are they too cheap https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193997892791?hash=item2d2b2cecb7:g:JvMAAOSwCChgXlGf

or someone here mentioned these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154220196248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 but it does mention they are soft.

Thanks as always for any advice.

Hi David,

The second link is much better suited to the carnage, but they are a bit wider and larger diameter than the standard carnage wheels, so you may want to gear down the pinion to maintain current acceleration:top speed ratios, but otherwise they look great and are a definite improvement over the standard wheels. You will need some CA tyre glue in addition to complete, but this is the case with lots of wheel sets. A bonus is that they are supplied with inserts, but there are better options available if you’re fussy.

The rc rally car wheels are too small, they are not for MT.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DavidBH said:

someone here mentioned these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154220196248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 but it does mention they are soft.

I was the one mentioning it. :-)

Those wheels are fantastic. I even use them now on my Rustler.

But....

The tire inserts are crap. The foam is just glued in a ring and if they get soaked the glue will likely dissolve.

They are also too soft.

I went to put in some pipe lagging made of closed cell foam.

They are waterproof, not glued to a ring and quite a bit firmer.

Firm enough for the wheels not to balloon anymore.

Armaflex pipe lagging 76mm OD, 19mm thickness. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202623606704?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jens said:

I was the one mentioning it. 🙂

But....

The tire inserts are crap. The foam is just glued in a ring and if they get soaked the glue will likely dissolve.

They are also too soft.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202623606704?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I used the same on your advice except I chose 25mm thick lagging which fitted a treat. After going through around 20 battery packs, they have softened slightly, and don’t feel as good as they did, but still miles better than the foam they supply with 

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/insulation-c555/armacell-armaflex-class-o-selfseal-pipe-insulation-c204/armacell-selfseal-armaflex-class-0-insulation-2m-length-pipe-dia-x-wall-thickness-x-length-p10736/s17060?utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=armacell-selfseal-armaflex-class-0-insulation-76mm-x-25mm-size-76mm-x-size-76mm-x-25mm-x-2mts-armaflex-co-25x076-a&utm_campaign=froogle&cid=GBP&vs_vat=inc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Yea it because they dont keep anything in stock or very little   so when you buy off them they buy off the supplier so you have to wait for the supplier to deliver it to them then they forward it to you . . I stopped buying off the  for this reasone  as others sellers it's just a few pence more and quicker.  

That's good to know, If i want something fast i won't bother in future lol
Is Modelsport the same? I've bought stuff from them and it took a week to get delivered!

I think RCGeeks is the best i've ordered stuff at 4.30pm from them and it's still come next day, just their FTX spares range isn't that great which sucks a bit

Edited by Scottyb

12 hours ago, Iain .R said:

I dont understand the supplier for FTX parts in uk is CML and their retail prices are more than the retailers they stock eg modelsport, wheelspin etc..

12 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Is Modelsport the same? I've bought stuff from them and it took a week to get delivered!

I think RCGeeks is the best i've ordered stuff at 4.30pm from them and it's still come next day, just their FTX spares range isn't that great which sucks a bit

Stock has been coming in but seems like lots of stuff is pre ordered so goes right to those who have paid and waiting before they hit the stock listings. So items are always out of stock.
Some stock is local in their stock rooms, some stock is shadow stock in the cml warehouse, these parts take longer to arrive, but usally a couple of days.
I like the wheelspin site as it tells you the lead time on items, so you dont get a surprise.
I also find its more efficent to split orders, so order all the shadow / out of stock items on one order, then place another order for the instock items that way your not left waiting for every item.
Sure its another postage but sometimes you just gotta suck it up.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

Who is CML   as I bought some bumpers off ebay   CML   and they not arrived   .I looked at the Ebay seller and  align-trex   is the ebay seller . I thought I off CML       . 

1 hour ago, Scottyb said:

Got my new shell today, just about to plaster tape/silicone it, still waiting for all my stuff from mibi though but it's a good looking ornament at the mo 😁 got a Zorro/Torro bumper for it as well and a DumboRC gyro Tx/Rx on it's wayIMG_20210507_173150.thumb.jpg.211c0d2e871d8b230ffcc6c607abea48.jpg

Put a bit of paint on the DIY top deck too

IMG_20210507_173752.thumb.jpg.17f350d4e78db7365342b02638281648.jpg

Neat work! Well done 👏🏻 

2 hours ago, Redback said:

Loving the shell, least it should take a few decent hits with the cage, also sits nice a low.

I got it for the cage, my bugsta one lasted about 3 mins into it's first run lol, i've plaster taped and siliconed this one aswell so should be a bit more durable!

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

What shell is it and where from?

It's a BSD Racing Desert Assault from CenturyUK, They do orange or yellow for £20 and you need the roll cage to mount it for a tenner. unpainted is out of stock. The back bracket bolts through the rear shock tower as it's on a hinge and you need a single body post for the front

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scottyb said:

I got it for the cage, my bugsta one lasted about 3 mins into it's first run lol, i've plaster taped and siliconed this one aswell so should be a bit more durable!

It's a BSD Racing Desert Assault from CenturyUK, They do orange or yellow for £20 and you need the roll cage to mount it for a tenner. unpainted is out of stock. The back bracket bolts through the rear shock tower as it's on a hinge and you need a single body post for the front

Mmmmmm my next buy 

20 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Wheel spin models aren't to bad for parts and deliveries are about 3 to 4 day and seem to have good stock off ftx parts 👍👍👍got my vantage from them came in 3 days so not to bad 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 08:06, Jens said:

I was the one mentioning it. 🙂

But....

They are also too soft.

Thanks guys as always. So I presume these wheels will not ballon the same way the stock ones do? The lagging you put in do you glue that together or just fill the inside of the tyres. As they are bigger and if I do not change the gearing am I right in saying that will mean less acceleration but a higher top speed as same number of revolutions of the motor will mean same number of revolutions of the tyre but because of the increased circumference it will go further hence faster but slower acceleration?

That would actually be good as we feed the throttle in it constantly wheelies anyway! Sons 10th birthday on 26th May so spot on timing. Will nip to B&Q and see what sort of foam they have. Also 1 last thing what sort of glue do you use (CA is that contact adhesive?)

David

24 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Thanks guys as always. So I presume these wheels will not ballon the same way the stock ones do?

All tires will balloon unless they are belted, even belted tires balloon a little. You can use fishing line to belt a tire from the outside if you have deep tread
Also 1/8th buggy wheels will ballon less as they have less surface to deform.

Yes your gearing up the truck, just watch motor temps if your not altering the gearing :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1