• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 19/02/2021 at 08:00, Jens said:

Get the battery plug of your choice pre-fixed: +£4

Get a programming card: +£8.54

Note that the ESC comes without plug to give freedom of choice.

Sorry Jens totally missed that email, or it would have stopped me having such a panic.  I thought a post I say last night asked which motor I bought but cant see who asked it, anyway went for the 4000KV one in the end.  I read in specs that on 2Slipo its 6000KV but on 3Slipo its 4000KV https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-4000kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420923 why does it spin faster on a lower voltage?

7 hours ago, Iain .R said:

The carnage motor   550   is that how many times the motor turns a minute???   Does any one know how many times the 550 motor turns / speed..  thanks 

I think its 550mm long mate 

It will have a much lower turn number. If you mean the stock brushed one I think it's only about 15 or 17 turn. It said on a sticker I think under the heatsink

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Iain .R said:

The carnage motor   550   is that how many times the motor turns a minute???   Does any one know how many times the 550 motor turns / speed..  thanks 

550 is the motor can length, the speed or turns isn't relative to the can length. 15t is the carnage motor. The higher turn the slower the motor per volt but the more torque dense it would be.

• Thanks 1

Thank you  the part where it says  15 turns is ripped on mine soni just looked at my other one and i can see it  . Cheers 

Not very fast turn then    mmm see why you guys change them . Ok  thanks . 

8 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Thank you  the part where it says  15 turns is ripped on mine soni just looked at my other one and i can see it  . Cheers 

Not very fast turn then    mmm see why you guys change them . Ok  thanks . 

Hi I just had a wee look.on u tube an the 15 it's the amount of wire wrapped around inside   goes round 15 times . 

The speed of the motor depends on the power source/kv of the motor . .

I just wondered last night how fast does the motor spin    then adding the pinion  the large supr combining the 3 to get your speed.  

It was just somthing that popped in to my head and ????????????? Which then bugged me  lol

I was having one of my pain filled nights due to.my illness which stops me sleeping then all sorts of crap pops in to your head just to divert from the pain . 

Which once pain easys off  you dont think of the stuff again. . 

Anyway  thanks .

11 hours ago, Iain .R said:

[Note to anyone reading this, only 90% sure I’ve got this right, so please feel free to contradict me 👍]

550 is the size, (the length of the can?)

Speed is usually indicated by its T number.

T stands for turns, or the number of times the wire is wrapped around the rotor.

Generally the lower the T the faster the motor will spin, but the less torque it produces.

From memory, standard ftx motor is a 15T, a reasonable compromise between speed and power.

By contrast, my crawler has a 35T motor, really slow, but will pull up the steepest slope from a standing start.

Never as simple as that as you can increase torque or speed by adjusting gearing within reason, and not all motors are made the same. Got to say, not madly impressed with the FTX one but at less than £8, can’t really complain.

I put a 21T sport tuned motor in mine, and it was just as fast as the 15T ftx one but with an extra bit of torque..... but at 3 times the price. 🤔

• Like 1

I have 3 different NiMH batteries for the carrinage 2 and before that motor died I noticed quite a difference in speed between the three batteries so just shows they all output their power differently.

Have the 1 3s lipo now so will probably sell these on and recoup some money as they were only used for about 4 charges a piece before the motor died.

7 hours ago, DavidBH said:

Sorry Jens totally missed that email, or it would have stopped me having such a panic.  I thought a post I say last night asked which motor I bought but cant see who asked it, anyway went for the 4000KV one in the end.  I read in specs that on 2Slipo its 6000KV but on 3Slipo its 4000KV https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-4000kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420923 why does it spin faster on a lower voltage?

4000KV is fine.

Apply 1 Volt to a brushless motor:

3200KV = 3200 rpm

4000KV = 4000 rpm

6000KV = 6000 rpm

With that, the more cells (= more voltage) your battery has, the faster it rotates and the less the KV should be.

Otherwise the motor will rotate too fast.

Your are fine. 4000 Motor will have a bit less torque than 3200, but can be compensated by using a smaller pinion.

4000KV can be used on 2S and 3S.

I went today for a bash with the same setup and a 10T pinion.

Awesome performance and handling!!!

The car can now drive really smooth at low speed.

Press the throttle and the power makes it flip backwards.

Max speed on 3S is equal to my Rustler.

2S: friendly, tame, easy to drive.

3S: still friendly, but untamed like a wolf in sheepskin. 😈

Edited by Jens
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy mud bashing and then camouflaged:

IMG-5192.jpg

I noticed that the new body shell for the Carnage is not as wide as the Bugsta shell.

Less dirt came inside.

And for the first time in weeks they came home undamaged!!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jens said:

Happy mud bashing and then camouflaged:

IMG-5192.jpg

I noticed that the new body shell for the Carnage is not as wide as the Bugsta shell.

Less dirt came inside.

And for the first time in weeks they came home undamaged!!

Woohoo result mate :cheers:

• Like 1

Just now, azibux1 said:

@JensI fitted my spur and pinion from Dave... Cheers for the recommendation! 

Went for the 12T and it's pretty good... I don't really want to go 3S yet but want a bit more speed so might go to 10T

That's correct, right? 

10T pinion will give you less speed. The smaller the pinion the lower the speed.

There is a 17T pinion available (FTX Vantage).

Or go for the hardened steel pinions from Team Corally. (3.17mm diameter)

28 minutes ago, Jens said:

10T pinion will give you less speed. The smaller the pinion the lower the speed.

There is a 17T pinion available (FTX Vantage).

Or go for the hardened steel pinions from Team Corally. (3.17mm diameter)

Thanks! 

I actually have this one already in my parts box. 

Is it suitable? 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=13756

I have fitted it but it seems to be rolling somewhat not smoothly so I'm not sure if that pinion is compatible... Although unsure why it would not be also 

EDIT: Something definitely seems not right though. When meshed correctly it just doesn't seem to line up / roll smoothly at all

Edited by azibux1

Can anybody comment on this.

My Carnage seems to suffer from droop (or is it poor suspension?).  Basically now, when I turn, there is so much body roll that it flips over.

Rear seems to be lower than the front as well.  What shock oil do folks recommend @Jens @Stormbringer?

It also seems that now that the Carnage has a brushless setup, it suffers from understeer, which on a real car, I would cure by fitting a Rear ARB, so is there an upgrade that folks know about?

Many thanks in advance

Regarding rolling... Check if your tyres have any stiffness left, its likely the foams have perished if they're the stock tyres. 

Also you can fit a front and rear sway bar for less than £10

Just a beginner myself but these are the things I know haha

Team Associated shock oil seems good to me! I have some 35 weight ready to go in to my Carnage 

32 minutes ago, azibux1 said:

Just a beginner myself but these are the things I know haha

Team Associated shock oil seems good to me! I have some 35 weight ready to go in to my Carnage 

And you thought you were the beginner....

what does that mean "35 weight"?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

its how thick the oil is higher the number thicker it is 

yah, ok now I see what you guys mean  What is it expressed as?

And what is the consensus?  What "thickness" is typically used?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRX said:

Can anybody comment on this.

My Carnage seems to suffer from droop (or is it poor suspension?).  Basically now, when I turn, there is so much body roll that it flips over.

Rear seems to be lower than the front as well.  What shock oil do folks recommend @Jens @Stormbringer?

It also seems that now that the Carnage has a brushless setup, it suffers from understeer, which on a real car, I would cure by fitting a Rear ARB, so is there an upgrade that folks know about?

Many thanks in advance

Check you still have oil in your shocks  as mine leaked out .an the tyres then

inserts had rotted aWay to  almost nothing..   why I had to get new ones (insertes )  

• Like 1

Can be called thickness can be called weight, can be 35 or 35,000, diffrent brands use diffrent sayings they all do the same thing.
30 - 35 Weight is about standard and should do for general bashing, not sure what comes in the ftx shocks it grey gunge and the bottom caps usally are loose and come undone spitting out all the shock fluid.
Tighten or light threadlock dont over tighten as it will bind the shaft.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, azibux1 said:

Thanks! 

I actually have this one already in my parts box. 

Is it suitable? 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=13756

2 hours ago, azibux1 said:

I have fitted it but it seems to be rolling somewhat not smoothly so I'm not sure if that pinion is compatible... Although unsure why it would not be also 

EDIT: Something definitely seems not right though. When meshed correctly it just doesn't seem to line up / roll smoothly at all

Now you get me.

I use 32dp pitch (distance between teeth).

Yours at motorsport says 0.6.

If you say that it doesn't fit I might have an explanation.

One is metric, the other imperial.

I know that David's are 32DP. Would be the safest to stay with that.

( He also sells 0.6 though )

My best guess would be to stay at 32DP, if that is the one you have.

@TRX Thank you for the trust by asking me. :-).

But I am not much of an expert. Just like to share my personal experience.

I have a read all the above comments and it would be too much to quote.

And sorry again for my usual verbal diarrhea.

I had similar problems with the Rustler.

Very painful to get a solution.

Droop:

Nothing to do with shock oil. springs are too soft. You need to get harder springs.

I have now progressive springs in my Rustler and they literally work a miracle.

Changing shock oil:

A very painful process. All the bleeding process and then make sure that they are not leaking. Decide wisely if you want to try to change it.

My Carnage shocks are still original. And I will keep them that way.

With the Rustler on the other hand I experimented a lot with shock oil. All failures.

At the end I used the delivered Traxxas oil. And Traxxas shocks instead of Chinese ones.

Understeer:

I have the same for all the cars.

But once I brake it turns sharp.

I think it is because most of the weight is in the back.

And with speeding, even more goes to the back.

Then the front wheel don't have enough grip to make a turn.

Here a rear sway bar (ARB) could help to force more weight on the front wheel.

But with a rear sway bar you cannot have a wheelie bar.

54 minutes ago, Jens said:

Now you get me.

I use 32dp pitch (distance between teeth).

Yours at motorsport says 0.6.

If you say that it doesn't fit I might have an explanation.

One is metric, the other imperial.

I know that David's are 32DP. Would be the safest to stay with that.

( He also sells 0.6 though )

My best guess would be to stay at 32DP, if that is the one you have.

Thank you very much!

I had no idea what 32DP was but now it makes sense lol

I will get one of the ones you recommended! 🙂