• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

@Iain.R  Can’t take credit for the vids that @Tintinposted.

Honestly though, you are welcome.

About 18months ago, bought an ftx Vantage on impulse after a 30 yr gap from RC. Foolishly thought RTR meant ready to run when in truth it means ready to repair.

Honestly you are welcome. I’m reasonably ok with mechanics, have rebuilt motorbikes and all sorts but when I started having issues I’d have been lost without some of the helpful souls on here.

6 moths down the line you’ll be on here helping someone else 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Thank you I have to say iv been made welcome here and there never a shortage of answers   so thank you.  

AND     ITS   ALIVE    HA HA ITS ALIVE .  

ok I'm chuffed   iv swapped over the spur gear and the brass cog as might as well do both I thought . I put a bit paper between like you guys said its crushed the paper between the teeth but didnt rip the paper . So put it back together  I fited the lights  yesterday  pluged them  in (like you guys said) an they work . Then run the motor for a few mins to see if there was any nasty noises  nothing  then outside pitch black   lights on  ha ha ha it's better in the dark  ha ha . Then the mrs told me to get in its T time !!!! christ im 10years old again !!!!! I'll be in bed by 9pm .  Ha ha 

Sound like your having loads of fun learning about your truck :thumbsup: keep at it and no question is a silly one everyone was new to this once :) your among friends as Jack said ask away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Thank you I have to say iv been made welcome here and there never a shortage of answers   so thank you.  

AND     ITS   ALIVE    HA HA ITS ALIVE .  

ok I'm chuffed   iv swapped over the spur gear and the brass cog as might as well do both I thought . I put a bit paper between like you guys said its crushed the paper between the teeth but didnt rip the paper . So put it back together  I fited the lights  yesterday  pluged them  in (like you guys said) an they work . Then run the motor for a few mins to see if there was any nasty noises  nothing  then outside pitch black   lights on  ha ha ha it's better in the dark  ha ha . Then the mrs told me to get in its T time !!!! christ im 10years old again !!!!! I'll be in bed by 9pm .  Ha ha 

Haha brilliant! 🤣🤣🤣

Hi all I had my spare part arrive to day (bearing bracket) fitted it .checked the cogs all nice and ready to go nuts . 

And it's been chucking down all day.    Aaagghhhh  

Full batterys  fit car . Crap weather .  

• Sad 1

Glad it all went back together Iain, and you are enjoying. 

I started off by helping keep my son's rc car going. We had loads more pleasure out of it that I thought we would, I thought it was going to be a 5min wonder....And then I decided I had to get one to to play with too. Got an FTX vantage. 

This forum is brilliant, and a credit to all the members who contribute. (I'm a relative newbie) 

Edited by Tintin
  • Thanks 2

I agree m8 . I put the bearing clip thing in and it's all.ok but I got this bug in my head is it the right way round . When I put it in i seen  it's got a small putt cut put on one side so when it fits over the bearing   there an small square bit cut out so I'm not sure if it's to face forward or backwards  but it's in flush I guess if I take it out and turn it round it might not fit in.flush  .   I think the square bit is for slipper nut not to touch the bearing clip thing  if I turn it round square bit facing the clutch plate theres nothing there its flat . So i guess it's in right   but I will swap it round to check   or if you guys know ???? 

16 hours ago, Iain .R said:

I agree m8 . I put the bearing clip thing in and it's all.ok but I got this bug in my head is it the right way round . When I put it in i seen  it's got a small putt cut put on one side so when it fits over the bearing   there an small square bit cut out so I'm not sure if it's to face forward or backwards  but it's in flush I guess if I take it out and turn it round it might not fit in.flush  .   I think the square bit is for slipper nut not to touch the bearing clip thing  if I turn it round square bit facing the clutch plate theres nothing there its flat . So i guess it's in right   but I will swap it round to check   or if you guys know ???? 

A pic would be helpful here Iain, but IF I’m thinking of the same bit you are talking about, I THINK the edge with the lip is toward the front of the car 🤣🤣

Sounds like you’ve already figured it anyway. 👍

7 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Well, you guys will remember i built Dirty fairy II for my wife, she finally got to run it today and it did not stand up to well, the body broke badly and then front bumper sheered of may have to rethink this model

I’m sure some people would make a joke about women drivers but I’m not that kind of guy so I won’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

I’m sure some people would make a joke about women drivers but I’m not that kind of guy so I won’t.

Hmm, err, well, it was me that smashed the body, flipped over and" crack" made a right mess not repairable, will get a new bumper on a few quid and looking for a stronger body

Me & my boy got through bodyshells galore in the early days.

I once spent a week of spare time painting up a clear Bugsta shell for him and it didn't last two minutes. It was like it was made out of Pringles.

His current Bugsta shell has lasted a couple of years as I taped the whole inside up with a couple of layers of Gorilla Tape before fitting it. It's really quite tough.

(I replaced mine with a Pro-Line shell which has also done a couple of years but cost a lot more than a roll of Gorilla Tape)

• Like 1

Suspect I am being stupid - bought a carbon upper plate, but the holes seem ever so slightly small for the existing screws. Can't work out how I can attach it, considering that smaller screws wouldn't fit in to the metal below.

Do I just force the screws in, or do I need to get something special?

10 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Hmm, err, well, it was me that smashed the body, flipped over and" crack" made a right mess not repairable, will get a new bumper on a few quid and looking for a stronger body

I am now thinking i may sell the wifes as a standard carnage and get her a Rustler 

11 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I am now thinking i may sell the wifes as a standard carnage and get her a Rustler 

Update to this, i see the chassis has broke where bumper mounts, very disappointing, i now have to decide if i get a new chassis and move every thing over, and if doing this best to get the Alloy chassis when it comes back in stock, but is the car worth doing this...........decisions 

42 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Update to this, i see the chassis has broke where bumper mounts, very disappointing, i now have to decide if i get a new chassis and move every thing over, and if doing this best to get the Alloy chassis when it comes back in stock, but is the car worth doing this...........decisions 

REALLY   have both   lol 

On 20/12/2020 at 12:12, Fat Freddy said:

A pic would be helpful here Iain, but IF I’m thinking of the same bit you are talking about, I THINK the edge with the lip is toward the front of the car 🤣🤣

Sounds like you’ve already figured it anyway. 👍

Here's the part o was on about he small grove is at the top facing back towards the cog as you can see it dont fit in as good the other way round ( grove facing forwards . ) 

16085753238208677798697942354621.jpg

16085753664982435466806038560649.jpg

Ok here's one .for electric wizs   I bought some lights for the carnage ( headlights and brake lights )  and pulged them in to the reciver (if that's not what it is plz tell me ) 

So the lights all work fantastic.  But  I have had a wee fan fitted to the motor which uses the reciver as well   now the 2an lot lights have arrived to go on top of the car   so I thought just clip the wires  solder them so both sets run off the wee switch I bought as well . 

2 problems  

1 there is no more space in the reciver to push in more plugs .( hence the cutting and soldering the wires .) 

2  one set has to wires   black and red ...  

The new lights  has 3 .   Brown  red yellow .  Mmmmmmmm 

So buy bigger or reciver extension box (if they exist) 

2 join the red and black wires    to what ever colours makes the lights work   

Example   brown /black   red /red  

Brown /red   black/yellow . 

Any help guys . What do I do     

On 21/12/2020 at 16:37, Jack Reacher said:

That’s really bad luck. Have always thought that looked like a weak point but have never broken it like that despite countless crashes.

One of the holes has been stretched to an oval though, so I replaced the screws with longer ones and put nyloc nuts on the inside to sort of “clamp” it all together. 

(Ignore the filth!).

Its a bit Heath Robinson but it’s held on for a while now.

When it finally gives up I’ll get another stock chassis rather than the (expensive? Bendable?) alloy one.

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1