• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine heater required?

Wattser

Any hairdrier will do :) i use a mini travel one, takes longer but it was free so why not

a 12v car one suck some serious amps, i think it was like 15amps i worked one out at, if thats what your going to use, ensure your 1:1 cig lighter is capable

As for engine heaters - they just a gloryfied tyre warmer, but still will help

the hotter you can get the Engine the easier it becomes

Heat makes liner expand = lowers the overtight pinch = lowers compression = turns over faster = better change of getting the dam thing started....

ziggy

I never use them..... the whole point of a brake in is to allow the piston and sleve to warm up and cool down together. Of cource they do make starting a tad bit easier, but if a nitro engine is tuned correctly then it'll start quickly anyway....

Some dont some do.... there mainly used my racers so there engine are kept hot untill the race starts.

I wouldn't bother with a 12v hair drier. I would recommend an engine heater though - they make starting an engine much easier. If you have some diy skills and a pound-shop nearby, you can pick up the parts to make a 12v heater for around

• Like 2

I built my own engine warmer out of a can of peas and a 55w headlight bulb. Takes about 10 mins to get my engine up to 185f.

20120130_223752.jpg

Nice one.

I need something like that since my bash spot is now a fair way from my van which has an inverter and heat gun in it...

I built my own engine warmer out of a can of peas and a 55w headlight bulb. Takes about 10 mins to get my engine up to 185f.

20120130_223752.jpg

Good skills!

Does the bulb sit directly on the engine?

Done the same but used a 12v halogen bulb, a can of beans and a 3S lipo, works a treat.

And as I only had to buy the bulb is cost me

I have an empty can of spaghetti hoops and a halogen bulb taken from my van when I upgraded the bulbs waiting for me when I get home.

Which means so far it's gonna cost me naff all :-)

How's the bulb held in place? Anything tricky?

My bulb is held in by friction. The bulb has an 18mm shoulder on it and i have a fine collection of holesaws. To stop me getting burnt by the can i pick it up by the wires. I'm thinking of covering the outside with something to insulate it .

Cheers, I'm gonna use duct tape for the outside. It'll stop me burning my fingers and insulate it which will heat the motor up quicker.

Nice one.

Just tested my thrown together bean can one and it got the motor up to 105

Edited by GSGA

I cut the bottom off do some measuring where the bulb will fit you don't want the bulb touching the head or it could blow

I've got my heater touching the exhaust manafold and carb that's where it comes to rest

I used an angle grinder with a really thin disc this made light work of the flask

dff223db.jpg

I then cut 3 or ground away 3 areas where the tabs are on a h4 bulb the bulb then fits in nicely you want to flatten the tabs with pliers and trim them down then cut across the areas where the bulb fits this means you can twist the bulb and lock it in place that's why you flatten the tabs

1fa3d681.jpg

Then you want a hole in the top for the wires

9065e0f7.jpg

I then put some sticky foil on the lid to help against the heat

7cf91c3f.jpg

A pic inside

0ea8b6d1.jpg

And one in action

2eeda831.jpg

There you go :) kev

• Like 1