• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losing patience with nitro now

Nismo75

As much as I love nitro...the smell and sound etc Im getting really miffed with the amount of time spent starting it and then having a 3 minute run before it cuts out again.

I have a hong nor x1 and as much as I love it I'm lucky if I have had more than a 3 minute run at a time before having to start it again.

A brushless conversion kit is looking really attractive now.

Yes can sympathise with ya, me and mate went out today, while I was running circles around the car park for best part of 20 mins his was constantly cutting out and miss behaving, it died and won't turn over on the pull start now so suspect it's died terminally.

Mines a sh28 in a savage, brand new engine and started first pull, idles perfect and never cuts out lol.

His a cen mg10 .18.

yeah it does sound like you are killing the ***** out of your engines by running them a little lean..

Was in the same boat as you when i first got into nitro rc's..

I was young, had no knowledge of engines... and you wouldnt believe the amount of engines i wrecked....

If i can remember correctly, i went through 4 or 5 engines in less than 6 months, and wondered why...

Later to be taught all about the fine line between lean and fine tuning..

@Nismo. Winter is the worst time to try and start your nitro, if you don't have some sort of engine pre-heater (RC-Surestart) Then you'll wasting your time.

Forget all this " try a different glow-plug crap " Just pre-heat your engine with a hair dryer and see it start, then you can tune it.

Simple. Forget the bull****.

I have to say, that's pretty much bull**** that you're talking above. I don't pre-heat, I started two engines yesterday when the temp gauge read 2 degrees. Maybe if you have the right settings/plug you wouldn't need to rely on pre-heating? :whistling: I don't disagree pre-heating might make it easier than the 4 pulls mine took yesterday but using statements like "wasting your time" is totally bad advice and you shouldn't be posting stupid statements like that. Maybe you can't start your engines when it's cold but don't assume we're all noobs like yourself. You do understand the concept behind plug choices and tuning I presume?

• Like 1

I have a 2 kw inverter in my van, yesterday I heated 3 peoples motors who were struggling to start them and they all fired up 2nd or 3rd pull.

You can try a hot plug if you have no access to a heat gun it may help.

If you go by car you can use the car exhaust, 5 mins under there and they warm up appreciably.

If it don't run right once it's going then look at the plug.

Shouldn't make a great deal of difference running in cold weather run hotter plug and richen both needles...it will be kinder to your engine if you pre-heat it abit....glad you've all got time to run your nitros seems all I'm doing is shoppping and wraping at the moment !!! Bah bumhug

@Nismo. Winter is the worst time to try and start your nitro, if you don't have some sort of engine pre-heater (RC-Surestart) Then you'll wasting your time.

Forget all this " try a different glow-plug crap " Just pre-heat your engine with a hair dryer and see it start, then you can tune it.

Have to disagree with your statement - you do not need to preheat engine - although for some engines that do struggle in cold conditions then it may be wise to pre-heat but not essential. The glow plug is vitally important though, however if you have the correct glow plug then there is no reason to change it for something else.

I fired my Hyper up on Saturday morning, the out side temperature was 1 degree it was freezing....I put the fuel in the car, put it on the starter, attached glow plug, it started with in about 7 seconds - no need to prime it as sucked the fuel through in less than a second. It was as easy as that. After it had warmed up i had to adjust the HSN by about 1/4 turn to make it richer due to the colder air.

Put about 8 tanks through until i could'nt feel my fingers anymore.....then packed up and went home.

For anyone that does'nt have a starter i highly recommend one........

PS:- just for the record i use OS8 Plug - based on my setup it's absolutly fine on hot or cold day.

Edited by Condor1201

Aside form the unecessary swearing, it's also incorrect.

Lots of guys running nitro at the NLB session on Sunday, myself included ...and they all started no problem. Not a pre-heater in sight, and it was cold and snowing when I got there Sunday morning! Couldn;t find anywhere to plug in the hairdryer in the woods in Trent Park either....

I couldn't bring one of my trucks as it has a nearly new engine and that does need warming up it is very tight.

Aside from a re-tune, I did not need to do aything to get them to run...and I was not alone in that. If a nitro is properly tuned, has the right grade of plug and is started correctly, they will run. Pre-heaters are nice if you can get one, but by no means an essential item.

My hong nor starts no problem always has. Even yesterday when it was 1oC it started on the third pull. Goes great for a minute or 2 then stalls. Will only start again when throttle is opened. I have reset engine to factory settings lit's of times and still the same.

Edited by Nismo75

We started all our Nitros at the weekend without pre-heating them, no problem. Just needed to run them a little richer, but they ran fine (os8 plugs).

Edited by DreXeL

Sounds to me like you may have an air leak that gets worse when it gets warm....thus leaning itself out thats why it starts full throttle. Check it for leaks carb neck, backplate and front bearing. Easy way to do it is to put fuel tube on the inlet pop your finger over the carb and suck the tube should suck the carb barrell right in and keep it in.