• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Did a bit more on the Mauler conversion. :yes:

Fitted the sensored motor and HW ESC and the new tyres and Gmade beadlocks. Now to finish trimming the F150 body and get it ready for paint. 

6_E5277_A1-0_C57-4_BD6-_AB36-_AE23_E6322

F812_D60_D-941_A-43_AA-_B113-3_CC50351_B

B1_ADAD25-_C87_E-4_A9_F-94_DF-44621_DD14

HIGHLY impressive. Hope the shell turns out nice. I'm not sure I'd even run that lol.

Today I looked at my fleet and wondered if it needed another touring car.

I already have a FF-03, which is a rather effective race weapon with its TRF-derived fully adjustable suspension, high quality fibre reinforced plastics and so forth. However it is FWD, which means lower drivetrain friction and a speed advantage down the straights, but it isn't as good at getting the power down out of the corners as its 4WD competitors.

I do own several 4WD tourers, but they are hobby grade rather than race grade, although this hasn't stopped me taking them racing anyway. The TL-01LA is probably the best of them, quicker through the corners than the TT-01s with which it usually competes in the silver can classes by virtue of its more advanced suspension, but not the sort of model I would expect to compete with more modern cars in 13.5t.

My mate had must ordered himself a TB-03, and is encouraging me to do likewise. The car is a good one, basically a TB Evo V with a fibre reinforced plastic tub chassis instead of carbon plates. It also has much in common with my FF-03. Suspension parts are interchangeable, they have the same level of adjustability, both use the same high grade fibre reinforced plastics, body posts are in the same places so they can share shells, etc. The drivetrain is sealed so if I don't enjoy racing it, it can be set up for rallying or general carpark bashing easily enough. And at Tamico's current pricing, they can be had for less than some TT-02s.

The thing is, I was planning for my next model to be a vintage 4WD buggy from the Thundershot family, to show the design progression from the Hotshot to the Manta Ray, both of which already feature in my fleet.

I would probably get more use out of a TB-03 as I race on-road year round at an indoor venue where weather is not an issue, whereas my vintage buggies only really see use in summer on gentle bashing trips to the park. But then in terms of historical significance and iconic status amongst Tamiya fans, the Thundershot ranks higher than the TB-03.

I know the obvious answer is to get both, and I no doubt will at some point, but my budget only allows for one at a time. So I am now pondering which to get first...

On 02/03/2018 at 17:40, Oh How Original said:

Started to feel a bit better today, so decided to shorten the links on the SCX10 to accomodate the Bronco body.

Not sure if maybe the front need another 3-4mm cutting off or not, can't quite decide, so might just wait until it's ready to actually go and see how it sits.

'flex' shots, just to see roughly the maximum articulation per wheel before the others are affected.

About perfect for what I wanted.

Also roughly rubbed down the blue wing and sprayed it again, because, well, it might have fresh paint but a 50+ year old wing will no doubt have been resprayed at least once ;) 

40577135511_8edbaef6e0_b.jpg

26705642078_2c21f3c45d_b.jpg

40577135371_db134b9274_b.jpg

40534845702_497ae47369_b.jpg

40577135121_f8d712bff2_b.jpg

That needs a stubby windscreen and some roll hoops, leave the cage off!

Installed a micro servo and esc.  I think I broke a wire off the motor though.  Not a problem as just wedging the wires in the esc connectors was never a long term solution.

large.5a9c634333dba_2018-03-0421_16_15.j

Took a part an engine that had not been used for 2 years! Nearly put it on fire as how ****** I was with the clutch not coming out (was seized) but at the end I got it out!! However i feel like my fingers are all broken..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the WPL Hilux running with new servo and ESC all installed.  Only issue so far is that reverse on the 1625 is very week on a 6V battery.  Got it muddy which was a mistake as I have things I still want to do on it.

Also very carefully swapped the polarity on a 1S Lipo with one of those little quad connectors so I can try it on the Outback Mini... except I have no way of charging it which is a bit of an oversight.  Tomorrows job might be making a JST adapter lead for the charger.

Today I ballraced the steering and suspension bellcranks on my FF-03.

The kit comes with bearings as standard throughout the drivetrain, but the steering and suspension are bushed in stock form. Since I had some 850 bearings left over from my Tyrrell P34 build, I thought I'd put them to good use on my FF-03.

I also started costing out the gubbins I would want to fit to a TB-03 should I decide to order one. I'm looking at about £120 for paint, servo, ESC, RX and motor. Sorely tempted... :D

Made a new spare tire mount as the stock one had the tire raised up and at an angle. Also drilled through molded holes in wheels to add some depth to them.

medium.5aa0483cde3a3_2018-03-0717_47_49.

medium.5aa0483b0d0bb_2018-03-0717_48_31.

medium.5aa0483c168e7_2018-03-0717_49_46.

Edited by ghazghul