• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DreXeL's E-Muggy project

DreXeL

OK, so I bought a Losi Muggy roller from the for sale section, pretty much standard apart from a nice IRC chassis. I intend to use it as a backup for my Nitros, so not going silly, will just be running a Turnigy 2000kv with a 4S Lipo.

I made a start yesterday, first thing was to sort the steering servo. For simplicity and weight saving I decided to ditch the stock servo plate and install the servo using a simple servo bracket:

DSCF2007-2.jpg

Bolted the bracket to the chassis, and installed the servo and linkage:

DSCF2009-1.jpg

Not the best servo in the world but I've used them successfully on all my other models and it does the job. It does struggle a little though, so I will likely upgrade it at some point. Steering sorted, I installed the battery box and receiver. Battery box is screwed to the chassis, receiver is stuck to the chassis with Dead Mans Grip, fantastic stuff :good: :

DSCF2010-1.jpg

DSCF2011-1.jpg

That done, it was time to sort the motor mount. I was originally going to use an RC-Monster Muggy mount, but at

Edited by DreXeL

hey there drexel

nice to see you've come over to the dark side

na leccy is the way to go just plug and play

have always wanted a losi muggy to convert

you going for 6s??

although i find even 5s is a bit nuts in my hyper st/e

just can't keep the front down and chewing through tyre's faster than the michelin man

might pop out to the keynsham track at some point over the weekend

let me know if your about and i'll pop over for a look

cheers

andy

:thumbsup:

I like your style :) why spend £45 when you can bodge a decent one up yourself lol.

Are yo maybe going to add slots to the mount to give gearing options or just see if it works first?

Only going to be running 4S at first Andy.

As for the questions rearding mesh, it *should* be fairly close as I calculated and measured the holes, and test fitted with an old silvercan and clutch bell I had lying around. The holes are oversized for fine adjustment, and if it requires further adjustment I'll just slot the holes :)

Edited by DreXeL

Sounds like you got it covered :)

4S should be plenty. I have seen a few people go overboard with the lure of 6S and just end up with a truck that is undrivable. If you need a bit of lunacy....5S.

Are those 40 series fronts? I have an idea I might stick a set of those on my Truggy to see how it helps. Could see my ST-1 with those shocks too :)

I think it's great you went the DIY route for the motor mount as it is one of those things that could be solved with cash or ingenuity...and too often people just spend money!

The wheels are stock Muggy items with stock tyres on the front and Losi 'Super Bolt-on' tyres at the back. Not sure if they are 40-series, they certainly look like it :)

For me this hobby is all about 'having a go' at things, that's what makes it such a fun and diverse hobby, 'chequebook' builders miss out on a great side of the hobby IMO :)

Motor and battery turned up today, but frustratingly still no pinion :(

Still, I installed the motor and did the necessary wiring, and got the ESC all set up and calibrated. Battery fits like a glove too. Just need that pinion now.......

DSCF2016.jpg

DSCF2018-1.jpg

Great looking project, love the IRC chassis and the Muggy is always going to be a winner!

by all accounts they are exactly the same as the Leopard LBP4074

I'm not sure about that though.. The Turnigy is only good with 4s and rated at 1775W max output, where the Leopard is happy with 6s and rated at 2600W, the wires come out of a different place and the end bells are different as well. For the price it looks pretty good though, and on 4s it should be great,

Edited by grumpygramps

Not sure where it was I read about it being the same as the Leopard now, I guess they were mistaken. Oh well doesn't matter, it should do the job for what I want, hopefully my pinion will be here tomorrow so will find out soon enough :)

Pinion didn't arrive today, called JE-Spares and it turns out it's on back order. Yeah, great, thanks for advertising it on eBay, letting me buy it then completely failing to tell me it wasn't actually in stock until I had been waiting nearly a week for it....

They assure me I'll have it by the end of the week, not a major problem as I won't really have time to give it a good bashing until the weekend anyway.