• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

I crashed my firestorm into my little man's front wheel of his bike... Wiping him out.. He didn't see the funny side. But he was fine after a few tears of shock! Daddy what are you doing to me??

He noticed the front right wheel hanging on by the suspension arm alone. Both turnbuckles popped off the ball joints.

I popped them back on with my fingers.

I then noticed the ball joint that bolts into the suspension tower had been pulled out of its hole about 3mm.

I also pushed it back in with my fingers.

IMAG0136.jpg

You can see in the PIC its not bolted in tight, thread has been stripped.

Can I put a nut on the under side or should I replace the suspension tower?

Same thing has happened to my blitz before. I put an m3 nut on the thread for a temporary fix. But I'd buy a new shock tower soon

I crashed my firestorm into my little man's front wheel of his bike... Wiping him out.. He didn't see the funny side. But he was fine after a few tears of shock! Daddy what are you doing to me??

He noticed the front right wheel hanging on by the suspension arm alone. Both turnbuckles popped off the ball joints.

I then noticed the ball joint that bolts into the suspension tower had been pulled out of its hole about 3mm.

IMAG0136.jpg

I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Edited by everclear1984

Looks like a new shock tower then..

Have model sport got any longer shock springs, you guys can recommend? The stock ones seem a bit weak and as many people state on the short side..

Thanks..

Have a look on the first page, there might be some recommendations.

My Blitz did the same thing and i managed to put a nut on the underside no problem. 

Edited by RCMonkee
  • Like 1

There isn't enough thread below for the nut to hold onto.

You could put some thread lock on it to see if that works but it will never be as strong.

You could try the pushing the ball joint as far down as your can and then put a nut on. That worked for me. Edited by Leo Best

IMAG0136.jpg

A handy and fairly simple to do long term fix for things like this or other plastic parts are brass inserts. They can be had relatively cheap. I have a few different sizes I keep available. You just drill out the hole slightly smaller than the insert, tap it into place then put your screw back in as normal and as it screws into the insert there is pressure applied that slightly pushes the insert open and the knurled area digs into the plastic to hold it firmly in place.

3daea8858e9139c9dd382e8128c9f57c.jpg

A handy and fairly simple to do long term fix for things like this or other plastic parts are brass inserts. They can be had relatively cheap. I have a few different sizes I keep available. You just drill out the hole slightly smaller than the insert, tap it into place then put your screw back in as normal and as it screws into the insert there is pressure applied that slightly pushes the insert open and the knurled area digs into the plastic to hold it firmly in place.

3daea8858e9139c9dd382e8128c9f57c.jpg

Or for about
  • Like 1

IMAG0136.jpg

there is a shop on ebay selling front and rear towers with posts for 5.99

So my brushed motor smoked and died last night after being hammered by 2x Lipos. Time for brushless...

Which combo should I buy, narrowed it down to either this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBYWING-Combo-RC-Car-4000KV-Brushless-Motor-EZRUN-Waterproof-SC8-120A-ESC-/291007924670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c16c89be

or the standard Flux combo from Modelsport:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-flux-mmh-4000kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/380925

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-flux-emh-3s-brushless-esc/rc-car-products/380924

My Lipos are 2s 5000mah 40c.

I'm a bit OCD and keeping everything one make looks like a winner but I don't want to rule out the Hobbywing combo if it's the better bet.

So my brushed motor smoked and died last night after being hammered by 2x Lipos. Time for brushless...

Which combo should I buy, narrowed it down to either this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBYWING-Combo-RC-Car-4000KV-Brushless-Motor-EZRUN-Waterproof-SC8-120A-ESC-/291007924670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c16c89be

or the standard Flux combo from Modelsport:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-flux-mmh-4000kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/380925

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-flux-emh-3s-brushless-esc/rc-car-products/380924

My Lipos are 2s 5000mah 40c.

I'm a bit OCD and keeping everything one make looks like a winner but I don't want to rule out the Hobbywing combo if it's the better bet.

the sc8 esc is well proven esc

Alum shock towers ftw.

They flex a lot less too, means the shocks do the work

not really, your right they don't flex which means they don't have any 'give' and can bend.

Looking at the specs of the SC8, at 120A it appears to be way over what's needed considering the standard Flux runs an 80a ESC. So I'm guessing the 4000kv motor that comes in the combo won't get the SC8 close to it's limit which is a good thing?

The motor only pulls about 40-50 amp