• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

10 minutes ago, collective itch said:

can the tf40 use multiple receivers. wont he need to rebind each time a diff model is used?

no i would swap it once and leave it- im looking for the smallest controller available as a way forwards. 

its hard without trying- it is the reverse and braking which he struggles which, i wounder if stick controller can be easier. 
he has a playstation remote type for his remote control fire truck and he is great with that. 
Myself and my two boys are very new to RC cars and all three of us were put off by the wheeled transmitters. But after only an hour or so of use I can honestly say I'm a convert and my two boys have had no issues at all. In fact I was thinking about this the other day and I reckon sticks would make your fingers uncomfortable after a while. I'd give sticks a go if I was offered a free transmitter but I won't be buying one that's for sure.
Plus pretty much every RTR has wheeled transmitters so better to convert now on his first car rather than later when he's used to sticks.
Believe me, my two play far too much Xbox which was the main reason for getting the cars. And they have had no problems with the wheels and triggers.
Your problem though is the size I guess.[emoji848]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Myself and my two boys are very new to RC cars and all three of us were put off by the wheeled transmitters. But after only an hour or so of use I can honestly say I'm a convert and my two boys have had no issues at all. In fact I was thinking about this the other day and I reckon sticks would make your fingers uncomfortable after a while. I'd give sticks a go if I was offered a free transmitter but I won't be buying one that's for sure.
Plus pretty much every RTR has wheeled transmitters so better to convert now on his first car rather than later when he's used to sticks.
Believe me, my two play far too much Xbox which was the main reason for getting the cars. And they have had no problems with the wheels and triggers.
Your problem though is the size I guess.emoji848.png

it seems its mainly older crowed who use stick (if at all) something nostalgic about it i guess. as you say i want to try stick myself but would not spend big money on it (maybe a second hand from ebay) 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes mate. They not the cheapest. But are genuine hpi.  And they were £35.

However I'll bet i have spent that in rear axles cups. Need to change my diff cups too. 

On that note does any one use a ball diff and are they worth it?

46 minutes ago, thesnake505 said:

However I'll bet i have spent that in rear axles cups. Need to change my diff cups too. 

You should do a bit more after run maintenance that's some bad rust on there your bearings must be getting bad as well. 

47 minutes ago, thesnake505 said:

Same here, I get through drive cups like there's no tomorrow. A worthwhile investment for sure.

58 minutes ago, stretch said:

You should do a bit more after run maintenance that's some bad rust on there your bearings must be getting bad as well. 

Yea I gave up on the storm after holiday last year, I killed the motor and left the storm in a box in garage. Unfortunatly I had been running it on beach at the time of motor dying

However it's had full bearing change since. 

Plus the rear wheel bearings seam to die quite quickly

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit of a dick. I've been asking questions on the wrong firestorm thread. I did wonder why I hadn't had any responses:rolleyes:.

Anyhow, I've placed an order for the Hobbywing EZRUN MAX10 4000KV Combo this morning plus a multifunction programming box and a few other odds and sods.

I'll let you know how it goes once it's in but if anyone has any tips on installation and recommended setup I'd appreciate it. I plan to use 2S LiPos and stock gearing.

I didn't bother with a wheelie bar as I figured I'd eventually smash it when landing a jump. So will look at maybe ordering a rear T-Bone instead.

Cheers.

I know this will add some weight, but I've applied plasterer's scrim and some sticks like **** grip adhesive to the inside of the body shell.

Figure the new brushless motor should be able to cope and the shell will last longer. This adhesive in particular is pliable when cured and ridiculously strong.

oiinXtUCI8Jyu48nr75v_NsJKH2JiEh7Bddx7pyX

Anyone know if the front body posts can be purchased separately? I did buy a body mount kit but it looks like the only parts of it I'll ever need are the front posts. Figure I could use the rear posts at the front but wondered if there was a cheaper way of doing things. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Anyone know if the front body posts can be purchased separately? I did buy a body mount kit but it looks like the only parts of it I'll ever need are the front posts. Figure I could use the rear posts at the front but wondered if there was a cheaper way of doing things. Thanks in advance.

Try searching 1/10 rc body posts on eBay, there are loads of different ones that will fit. I buy the longer ones and cut them down to the size I need.

Try searching 1/10 rc body posts on eBay, there are loads of different ones that will fit. I buy the longer ones and cut them down to the size I need.
Perfect. Now why didn't I think of that myself?
Cheers.

• Like 1

New SRT servo as recommended by ostewart now fitted along with a new alloy servo horn. Strangely the steering end points were turned down on all three cars from factory.

I've also had the diff out and filled it with 20000 CST fluid.

This thing turns on a sixpence now.Q8am77LvfW6yGcWOsAAx-t7vTd_beAm3hIMEvMvX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoutTime said:

New SRT servo as recommended by ostewart now fitted along with a new alloy servo horn. Strangely the steering end points were turned down on all three cars from factory.

I've also had the diff out and filled it with 20000 CST fluid.

This thing turns on a sixpence now.

It really is a cracking servo for the price, I've punished mine by winding down the servo saver and it still comes back for more :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Anyone else notice their cars always need right trim on the steering?

Pretty standard to need some trim, and also on some remotes they have individual end points which is really handy.

Pretty standard to need some trim, and also on some remotes they have individual end points which is really handy.
Cheers. Yep the supplied transmitters have end points adjustable for throttle and steering. So I've maxed out the steering.
Just seems a little strange that the three cars we have now each have a different type of servo and all need a fair amount of right hand trim.

It really is a cracking servo for the price, I've punished mine by winding down the servo saver and it still comes back for more [emoji3]
Ostewart do you have any backlash on yr SRT servo? I can wiggle the horn and shaft [emoji6] a little left and right. In my mind it should be solid. Even the plastic HPI one I removed was solid.