• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

13 minutes ago, JamboV6 said:

Out of interest. How tight are the servo savers set on the steering assembly? 

That's quite funny as I was just looking into this. Had to google to find out where it was. Assuming I'm looking at the rotating quadrant with what appears to be a nut and spring washer, it doesn't appear to be wound all the way in. I just cant remember seeing my son hit anything that hard so as to cause the horn to jar. Let alone enough to cause the horn to jar and strip the threads on the screw. I can't see how it could happen under any circumstances to be honest. Not if it was tightly fastened to the splined servo shaft with the screw. And I suspect it wasn't.

Snow day!

08c69604166b3b3dd27941fd80434ce7.jpg
55fc1597b298c4ec7a4bf14b8c4f3208.jpg
b91635f20ae2d89a2b072dbb885d3148.jpg

Unfortunately I stripped a spur gear and my LHS isn't open today or tomorrow so that's the end of my snow fun [emoji20]
Very nice. Think we need to stick to open spaces.
My eldest just hit a wall.657f10567aa968f7db08baa6222c9c30.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Very nice. Think we need to stick to open spaces.
My eldest just hit a wall.657f10567aa968f7db08baa6222c9c30.jpg

Whoops, I'm sure it won't be the last. Did he hit it hard or just got unlucky and caught it at a bad angle? Suspension arms come in pairs so at least now you'll have a spare.

Edited by everclear1984

Yep...perhaps the cold. It's interesting because my eldest really smashed the wall when the arm broke. I checked his servo shaft and horn and it appears to be perfectly fine. Just hoping the gears are. So the horn on the other car was definitely already loose.

x3 off road rc cars delivered yesterday, x2 are now literally off the road.

Lipos arrived earlier. Will re-terminate the connectors in the morning and have a blip before work on Friday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoutTime said:

Yep...perhaps the cold. It's interesting because my eldest really smashed the wall when the arm broke. I checked his servo shaft and horn and it appears to be perfectly fine. Just hoping the gears are. So the horn on the other car was definitely already loose.

x3 off road rc cars delivered yesterday, x2 are now literally off the road.

Lipos arrived earlier. Will re-terminate the connectors in the morning and have a blip before work on Friday.

Welcome to the RC hobby :)

• Like 2

On 2/26/2018 at 13:22, BoutTime said:

Yep I recommended them a few posts ago ;)

Breakage will be down to temperature far too cold = brittle plastics

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stretch said:

Yep I recommended them a few posts ago ;)

Breakage will be down to temperature far too cold = brittle plastics

Well it seems 10 AWG cable and XT60 connectors are not a good match. But I have managed to re-solder (very badly) one of the LiPos and I've just taken the car for a spin outside the house.

Well F~*k me! I wasn't expecting that. I can't believe the difference in speed and acceleration. My eldest came out to watch - the one who hit the wall earlier today in his - and he even asked for a bloody go. No chance I told him. I'm glad I bought them NiMH packs, the LiPos would not be a good idea for them at this time. I just didn't expect that kind of performance and I'm glad I didn't go brushless. I'm looking forward to getting all the cars up and running and getting out in the open somewhere. Jesus wept!

I kept the hxt connector and just changed my esc to match as they are easy to solder.

I'm just going to use these for the time being and leave connected to the car.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F131974994968

You not using those tamiya connectors with lipo are you? They are very low current and can melt someone did mention it a few posts back. Do not use them.
Bugger.

7 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

I'm just going to use these for the time being and leave connected to the car.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F131974994968

I've melted Tamiya/Molex connectors on nimh, it was running BL, but still only on nimh! 

Right I've already ordered those adapters. So I've just ordered some HXT connectors to re-terminate the ESC.

It's daft HPI market the car as LiPo ready yet use connectors that can't cope with a LiPo battery.

I'm assuming the motor will be ok? Was advised not to use LiPos on s brushed motor.

5 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Right I've already ordered those adapters. So I've just ordered some HXT connectors to re-terminate the ESC.

It's daft HPI market the car as LiPo ready yet use connectors that can't cope with a LiPo battery.

I'm assuming the motor will be ok? Was advised not to use LiPos on s brushed motor.

They just do it for marketing reasons. They can say it’s lipo ready because the ESC has a low voltage cutoff. They know that most NIMH batteries have a Tamiya connector and that connector is familiar to a lot of people. 

They just do it for marketing reasons. They can say it’s lipo ready because the ESC has a low voltage cutoff. They know that most NIMH batteries have a Tamiya connector and that connector is familiar to a lot of people. 
The be honest the HXT connectors look fairly simple to solder. I'll stick with them. Will just have to resolder the battery with the XT60 I put on it.[emoji849]

Ok so the servo is in and working great. But it will probably be coming out again. I probably should have gone with my hunch but would be interested on the thoughts of everyone else....

I was told on the phone to centre the servo to line up the horn vertically. The problem is when the steering is centred on all three cars the horn is actually off centre itself. So my intent was to install one tooth from 12 o'clock. But I didn't. I was hoping there would be enough play in the servo adaptors to slide the servo sideways to compensate.

Now it's all in, to get the car to run straight I have to apply quite a bit of trim on the transmitter. And the transmitter will trim the wheels much more one way compared to the other.

I just wondered what everyone else does when replacing a servo on a Firestorm.

Cheers.