• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

maverick atom

Yrkoon

I've had a Xcelorin 7400KV combo in mine for over a year and it's been fine (that'll be the kiss of death now). If you do get an Xcelorin motor you'll need to trim the chassis so the motor fit's flush and level. There's some rib's that run either end of the cutout for the motor and the can is just a few mm too long for the cutout. Just take a craft knife or dremel to remove the rib rear rib.

Drive train seems pretty tough if you look after it. I've mainly had my esc running at about 70/80% full power as 100% of 7400KV was just stupid fast. It's a been tough little bugger to be honest.. Stock shocks are a bit weak so either get the Aluminium Maverick shocks or the 3racing shocks for the AE RC18. I also put on the adjustable toe links and turnbuckles on. A more powerful servo would be nice to have too but I've not done anything with mine yet in that department as I'm not sure what fits.

when i said you might strip the pinion i meant the spur, and go for the 3racing shocks as ive got the maverick aluminium shocks and they leak like they are made of sponge

EDIT-and BIG KEV i said before i think the micro savox servo fits . http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=32990

Edited by danny boy

dad got an email saying it was out of stock and on order with supplier :(

on the plus side i got a low voltage alarm on friday so been messing about with the atom and 2s lipos while i wait for the brushless :)

Edited by Yrkoon

What lipo did you get? I never had much luck finding anything to fit that didn't mean standing them on their side in the battery tray, which wasn't ideal.

ive been using the small 2200 mah overlander 2s ones though one is a rx pack. they are a very very tight fit and can be hard to get in to the battery tray properly as their slightly wider than the standard battery and i have to flip them out with a flat blade screw driver lol

well the postie arrived with a shiny package today, got the esc and motor all set up in the atom but i gotta wait on dad to come home from work to solder a deans connector before i can try it out as i dont trust my self with the solder iron :)

Edited by Yrkoon

yep all fitted decent just had to cut the bit of raised plastic that sits behind the motor like big kev said :)

just had its first test runs and its a rapid wee car now :)

edit: i got the 6000kv one and pretty glad i didnt get a faster one lol seems about just right for out side my house, now i need new tires :)

Edited by Yrkoon

• 4 weeks later...

just watch out for the little diff gear that fits on the back of the main drive shaft, i have just went through 2 of them :(

funny thing is the front diff is the same and its gears are fine lol

just watch out for the little diff gear that fits on the back of the main drive shaft, i have just went through 2 of them :(

funny thing is the front diff is the same and its gears are fine lol

I think more power seems to go to the back wheels on the atom, I seem to get through more rear wheels than fronts

Hi.It's the weight displacement.The front wheels lift slightly,letting 'em spin out while the rear wheels are planted.I had the same with the ml$t2,rear diffs always went first,then I ran it front wheel drive,the front one crapped out :( .Given up on that one.

• 1 month later...

brushless in an atom is a no no the diff cant handle the power they overheat and melt there only plastic your just gonna waste your time and money and end up putting the stock motor back in it and as for running it on lipo no no no my advice would be save your money sell the car on and get a mini revo or a rc18 there's loads you can do to these and if you get the mini vxl revo it comes brushlesss or you could get the rc18 in kit form