• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*Losi LST & XXL Owners Club*

dtokez

What's the biggest receiver battery pack people are using and where are they mounting it?

Ideally, I would like at least a 3000mah but located in the original mounting position.

At the moment I have a hump back battery zip tied to the front tower. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK.. I think I'm a convert now! 

How much would I need to spend to convert my nitro Xxl to brushless?

Also what combo esc and motor would you recommend? I don't want anything too mental. 4S or max 5S is fine... I don't want to destroy the thing. Just want it more useable! 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

OK.. I think I'm a convert now! 

How much would I need to spend to convert my nitro Xxl to brushless?

Also what combo esc and motor would you recommend? I don't want anything too mental. 4S or max 5S is fine... I don't want to destroy the thing. Just want it more useable! 

Thanks

i have the all stock xxle and run it mostly on 5s but you still gotta be carefull on the throttle and get the punch turned down, ideally i need a bigger 4s in there

That's what I'm thinking. I don't want a wheely machine... I want something that will put the power down and not tear up the drive train. 

I've seen this motor mount... Is it any good? Or would the stock xxle one be just as good? 

https://www.ebay.com/p/Losi-LST-Motor-Mount-M3-m4-1717-Version-Electric-Conversion-Team-Lst2-Brushless/941635169

I will be selling all my nitro items to fund this conversion! 

Here's what I bought to electrify my LST2:

Hobbywing 150A WP-8PL150 £55.41 (Aliexpress)

Hobbywing Programming Card £5.45 (Ali)

Motor (GoolRC 4076 2000Kv) £27.33 (Ali)

Losi Single Speed Hub £22.03 (Ebay)

Pinion Gear x3 £17.50 (Ebay)

Zippy 5800MAh 4s x2 £78.26 (Hobbyking)

XT150 plugs £5.44 (Hobbyking)

Bar stock for homemade motor mount £10.00

Total: £221.42 plus some for HobbyKing postage.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

That's what I'm thinking. I don't want a wheely machine... I want something that will put the power down and not tear up the drive train. 

I've seen this motor mount... Is it any good? Or would the stock xxle one be just as good? 

https://www.ebay.com/p/Losi-LST-Motor-Mount-M3-m4-1717-Version-Electric-Conversion-Team-Lst2-Brushless/941635169

I will be selling all my nitro items to fund this conversion! 

Motor mount looks ok but really would not like to say as i have not tried it but my all stock one has a cover etc on it, not sure if after market kits are fully covered? Had my xxle prob 3 years now at a guess and its still great, its just too crazy on 6s, kinda still a little bit too much on 5s as well running the stock re branded castle sidewinder combo which has been great. I would prob go for the EZRUN MAX8 hobbywing combo as the price is great and i have ran it in a vorza for approx 18 months now with no problems at all and a lot was on 6s

5 minutes ago, just rolling said:

i get quite a few bits from here for various rc's, sure i get hit with import stuff but quick delivery and cheap 

https://jennysrc.com/collections/xxl2-e-electric-brushless-los04004

Cheers some good prices on there! 

How is it all holding up? 

Have you got any of your conversion pics? 

Was that directed at me? If so, then all I can say is that my gamble (the motor) paid off! The motor is excellent quality and the ESC is also great. When using the stock ratio (25/63) I get 62.5Kph with a 4s and that's fine for me.

I'll try and sort some pics later because everything is on Photobucket and not readily accessible these days.

Tom.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

You mean this one?? 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-combo-with-twin-deans/rc-car-products/397267

Bit more than I wanted to spend but does look good! 

Yeah, had mine in a vorza for prob 8 months doing crazy speeds on 6s, 70mph +, mostly just 4s now on a small track but always been great. The stock castle sidewinder 8 has been great and works on 5s where the hobbywing does not run on 5s with the lvc on, to be honest though i will prob just be running mine on a bigger 4s 

9 minutes ago, Tommygunn said:

Was that directed at me? If so, then all I can say is that my gamble (the motor) paid off! The motor is excellent quality and the ESC is also great. When using the stock ratio (25/63) I get 62.5Kph with a 4s and that's fine for me.

I'll try and sort some pics later because everything is on Photobucket and not readily accessible these days.

Tom.

I know it's a pain.. Been looking for old posts of images and it's all lost :(

I'll check out your combo as well as that's sounds more like my budget! Not counting batteries, and already have the single speed hub. 

Careful with the Losi motor mount - it restricts the size of motor. Cannot mount a 1717-sized motor - mine runs a 1717 so had to change.

Losi 'conversion' kit has batteries at the back - weight bias wrong with high torque from zero revs of electric motor, so I cut them in 2 and mounted one battery over the Rx box.

SmX5IlC.jpg

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Careful with the Losi motor mount - it restricts the size of motor. Cannot mount a 1717-sized motor - mine runs a 1717 so had to change.

Losi 'conversion' kit has batteries at the back - weight bias wrong with high torque from zero revs of electric motor, so I cut them in 2 and mounted one battery over the Rx box.

Al.

Can you post some pics of your layout? 

I think I'll go for the custom mount as it looks to give me more flexibility on the motor and pinions. Also looks dead easy to adjust the mesh! 

Just now, vimto2000 said:

Can you post some pics of your layout? 

I think I'll go for the custom mount as it looks to give me more flexibility on the motor and pinions. Also looks dead easy to adjust the mesh! 

Done.