• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Save RC on Hackney Marshes!

stallion_explosion

Hackney Marshes has been a place to enjoy rc for many many years. This spring a fence went up across the track (which has now come down). Turns out the problem is residents of a new flat build across the canal who have parachuted in to our community and are trying to shut us down.

please help us save rc on the marshes!

email [email protected] explaining that rc cars are a family activity with a heritage on the marshes that stretches back many many years. It is an outdoor hobby that keeps our kids away from the TV. It is a safe and legitimate use of public space. Our right to enjoy our hobby on our public land with our children has to be respected and preserved.

• Like 1

From what i can remember working the local area during the olympics is that the marshes arent that close to any residential area where noise disruption is a factor, the new flats are a good 10 minute walk from the marshes and over the bridge if you follow the road.

Is there a track at the marshes i dont remember seeing one, if there isnt then there is nothing to shut down so you can carry on all you like, their is no bylaws against rc cars on the marshes 

thanks purcy all great info. is there anything particular i can do to make sure i know what i'm talking about? don't want to get in to an argument without knowing all the facts.

the track is ad-hoc not formal. it's a dirt track between trees in the corner of the marshes by the canal and homerton road.

Ohhh i know the one, was wondering if anyone rode there or did RC there lol. 

The riverwalk apartments i guess are the issue they are the nearest and newest building, best thing you can do is talk to your local council, I still feel that the riverwalk apartments are far enough away where a few nitros wont cause a noise disturbance, but either way you are not doing anything illegal as their is no bylaws and as far as i know, the people who live in the riverwalk apartments are definitely not in ownership of the marsh grounds lol. 

i find ironic that they find your RC's more of a "disturbance" than the noisy kids that play in the play area outside the apartments lol 

Best thing to do is contact your local council really, since its not a formal track as such there is nothing to shut down, for the mean time carry on as normal. 

I thought a sign had been put up to explain that the damage to tree roots wouldn't be tolerated and so the fence was put there to allow the ground and trees to recover?

Interesting thread, I'll keep an eye on this one.

I thought a sign had been put up to explain that the damage to tree roots wouldn't be tolerated and so the fence was put there to allow the ground and trees to recover?

Interesting thread, I'll keep an eye on this one.

Isnt that sign where the canal is though where, i think ? there is a path way that walks along the canal, i know there was a small patch of ground there that was protected to regrow. 

to be honest i cant really help much just trying to recall memories from september 

Isnt that sign where the canal is though where, i think ? there is a path way that walks along the canal, i know there was a small patch of ground there that was protected to regrow.

to be honest i cant really help much just trying to recall memories from september

Not sure, I'm quoting from a previous thread. If the fence has gone, I'd think you had the all clear again.

From what I've gleaned from various threads, it sounds like it's actually quite a task for a council to get anything banned!?

• 3 months later...

Hello - I live next to the track and I hope you won't mind me telling you what that is like. First off, no one got parachuted into the area. The flats contain a mix of people who bought their flats and social housing. Much like everywhere else. And I am sure everyone would agree that wherever you live, you have a right to live there peacefully.

The noise can be heard even in the flats with the windows closed. This hot summer that has been unpleasant and so the choice has been between living in a stuffy hot flat or hearing the noise of RC cars all summer. Perhaps when you come and race, it is for an hour or two. When you live here, it is all day every weekend and evening for hours without stop. I measured the noise and it was over 100Db at track level. For reference that is about the same as a rock concert.

This is not a locals versus newcomers issue either. As you know most of the people racing on the Marsh come from across London and by definition everyone who lives here is a resident.

I genuinely sympathise with you and hope you can find somewhere to race but the Marsh is not suitable, sorry. Your actions are making life a misery for people who live there and no argument can change that. Most people won't continue doing something that is hurting someone else. If you carry on, that says a lot about you.

Also let's be clear, you are not allowed to race RC cars in any Hackney Park. If you go there now, you'll see the signs. Even if they are not there, the rule remains. 

I wish you good luck finding somewhere suitable.

What complete and utter nonsense 

the track is no where near the flats. I do not remember seeing any signs that "you are not allowed to race RC cars" at all either and just because "a sign doesnt exist its still the law" you sound like another old fuddy duddy whos talking utter nonsense 

i HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you bring solid evidence before you spout nonsense because you are going to anger a lot of people on here.

Now please, as i like to say "do one" and gather some picture evidence and then you can talk with some validity 

Genuinely sympathise my booty  :er:

I dont even live in the area and this has annoyed me., having worked around the area for 3 months during the Olympics id be more concerned with the traffic noise outside your flats on Homerton road and the footballers who seemingly like to throw hissy fits every time they play. 

Ill gladly shut the eff up once you bring solid proof..but for now...nope

Edited by PurcyP
  • Like 3

I can't really comment as I'm nowhere near there, haven't seen any photos, or evidence for / against.

100dB does sound a bit loud, unless right up the chuff of a tuned 1/5 Baja.

Respect is mutual.

I run outside my house.

I never start running before 10:30 - 11:00 and only have 'brief moments' of perhaps 30 minutes tops.

If anyone comes with a dog, I'll indicate, and bring 'my dog' in, out of the way so as not to spook the real one.

I'll not run after 17:30 during the 'darker months'.

If any curious children come, I'll ask to keep clear and be careful of the trucks.

If they obviously have plans, and are a group - you're only young once, so of course I'll let them play.

This case appears to be different as there seem to be larger semi-organised groups meeting up.

Can somebody clarify just where/how close these flats are?

I can appreciate the 'disturbance' if it's remotely (no pun intended) for as long as is mentioned and as close as was indicated.

Al.

• 2 months later...

From what i can remember working the local area during the olympics is that the marshes arent that close to any residential area where noise disruption is a factor, the new flats are a good 10 minute walk from the marshes and over the bridge if you follow the road.

Is there a track at the marshes i dont remember seeing one, if there isnt then there is nothing to shut down so you can carry on all you like, their is no bylaws against rc cars on the marshes 

I live in the new apartments over the canal from where people race their RC cars, for my sins.  I can assure you that the noise disruption is terrible.  The ridiculous whining noise that petrol RC cars make is incredibly disruptive, even through double glazing with the windows closed.

I was overjoyed to see that the council has asked people not to use them in this location.  There are acres and acres of parkland to choose from on the marshes, go somewhere where you're not bugging other people!

I live in the new apartments over the canal from where people race their RC cars, for my sins. I can assure you that the noise disruption is terrible. The ridiculous whining noise that petrol RC cars make is incredibly disruptive, even through double glazing with the windows closed.

I was overjoyed to see that the council has asked people not to use them in this location. There are acres and acres of parkland to choose from on the marshes, go somewhere where you're not bugging other people!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Please bear in mind, it's public land, free for all to use. Most of us have quite a lot of kit to carry, so finding somewhere off the beaten track is pointless, we need areas close to parking areas. Yes, that's our tough luck, we chose this hobby, it wasn't forced on us. But we still have rights to enjoy it.

Until we are given areas of land for our use, we will (within reason) bash where we can/like. We don't want to be a nuisance, most of us avoid annoying people, but we still need somewhere to go.

There is a large public car park at the other end of the marshes, far from any residential areas.

I appreciate that it must be difficult lugging all that stuff.  I'd love to invite you in for a beer to wind down after your hard work, but you probably wouldn't find it very relaxing given the noise.

Given that the council has now prohibited the use of RC cars in this area, I will not hesitate to complain loudly if they come back.

Although I live no where near and have never seen the site. 

I can appreciate that if the cars are within a distance of the flats that requires residents to complain about the noise enough that he council takes action then you are affecting too many people. Think about it if it was you, your family, our cars make a lot of noise and we tend to use them in our spare time. Which in many cases is the same as other peoples spare time (afternoon's, weekends, national holidays). For those people who do not enjoy noise in their spare time I hope you can appreciate that you may be affecting their relaxation. Imagine the issue you guys would have if people came to where you ran the cars and started using water pistols constantly all over all of your kit, it would really ruin your time but it would be within their right as its public land and that may be their hobby.

My opinion is, move on and try to be more mindful of the community around you.

Although I live no where near and have never seen the site.

I can appreciate that if the cars are within a distance of the flats that requires residents to complain about the noise enough that he council takes action then you are affecting too many people. Think about it if it was you, your family, our cars make a lot of noise and we tend to use them in our spare time. Which in many cases is the same as other peoples spare time (afternoon's, weekends, national holidays). For those people who do not enjoy noise in their spare time I hope you can appreciate that you may be affecting their relaxation. Imagine the issue you guys would have if people came to where you ran the cars and started using water pistols constantly all over all of your kit, it would really ruin your time but it would be within their right as its public land and that may be their hobby.

My opinion is, move on and try to be more mindful of the community around you.

I only run leccy, but I'm always mindful.

What I don't like is this guy pitching up and telling us all to sod off. The thread has been dormant since September!

Of course I feel that if there's a nuisance, it should be dealt with, but that attitude stinks! Worse than any gasser or nitro! ;)

I'm, rightly or wrongly, assuming that this newbie to the forum, has come along because despite signage prohibiting RCs, people are still bashing there?

I would also presume the issue is persisting due to some sort of disturbance otherwise it would be slightly pointless to bring up a old thread like this.

I am not saying you are all not thoughtful but at the end of the day, these residents may be upset for their own reasons so letting them vent a little on here isn't always the worst case.

I would also presume the issue is persisting due to some sort of disturbance otherwise it would be slightly pointless to bring up a old thread like this.

I am not saying you are all not thoughtful but at the end of the day, these residents may be upset for their own reasons so letting them vent a little on here isn't always the worst case.

We've had some in depth descriptions of distances from the bash site to the flats, not sure sound can travel that far, but what do I know?

If bashers are persisting, who's gonna police it? Park wardens?