• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

6WD Punisher Build Thread!

luke1983

Hi MSUK,

I have finally started this 6WD build using Nige at Freeprawn's design for a FTX Destroyer. I got the chassis extension off him a good few months ago now and I haven't had the time, tools or parts to start putting it all together.

It's gunna be a slow build as I gather all the parts to build an extra rear end (on a tight budget), so don't expect it to happen over night! I'm just buying up the parts as they appear on Ebay at the moment, I have a few bits now but I need even more! This isn't a begging thread but if anybody has some FTX Punisher/Destroyer rear end bits they want rid of then please let me know and I may take them off your hands if the price is right and I need them!!

Anyway, today I got the jigsaw out and did a bit of sawing to shape the chassis extension and allow full suspension travel. I filed down all the rough edges and fitted it. Here are some pic's:

gallery_15232_2095_15532.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_18201.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_31236.jpg

It is a bit rough still now but hopefully I'll be able to finish it to a much higher standard the first build will be a mock up and depending on parts availability the rear wheels may simply be dragged for the first run - but they will be driven eventually!

Edited by luke1983

How are you planning to rig up the rear drive?

I mocked up a working rig for a Savage that made it 6WD but never got around to the real thing as I was not sure about it's abilty to handle the power.

I used two front half diff cases, trimmed so they fitted flush. Then you can run two pinion gears into the middle diff housing. The rear one needs to be attached to the mid one with a short driveshaft. I used a straight bar with a cross pin each end as it does not need to articulate. Then you have to flip the rear diff over....if the case allows you to do this. If you don't the rear wheels will try to turn in teh opposite direction to the other two....which is bad. Very bad!

I toyed with the idea of making a 6 wheel FG, though mine was only going to be 6x4 rather than 6x6.

My plan was to use a dummy diff without internals behind the normal one, with the second real diff behind that. The stock diff mounts can be used for the lot with a single brace plate over the top.

This does not leave enough space between the outdrives for the wheels.... but with longer driveshafts, there is no reason why the suspension arms can't be spaced fore and aft a bit more.

I've seen it done with 2 motors....but they end up with the back wheels spaced far too far apart...which looks rubbish :)

• Like 1

I'll have to get mine rebuilt and I'll show it running at the Supercup ;o)

Good news you have made a start, hope you have fun with your build :o)

Nige.

was just going to say that you had made one but was looking for the video's of it first

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I've had a couple more hours at it this afternoon and feel like I've made some progress. I made the first rear diff using two halves of separate diff cases. The most useful tool for this was my Dremel. I've attachedthis to the chassis and moved the original rear diff and ancillaries to the new rear position. I'm putting a list together of parts I need to carry on for the next phase of the project.

gallery_15232_2095_499618.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_188964.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_31023.jpg

How are you planning to rig up the rear drive?

I had a look at this today and planned to just flip the rear rear diff but you guessed it, it won't fit if i do that. Back to the drawing board on that one. (I'll ask Nige!)

It was actually a 6wd savvy made by some French blokes that got me into the idea. I originally intended to 6wd my savvy but got fed up running into dead ends contacting the guys who had done it.

Then I came across Nige's T-Rex and the rest as they say is history...

I'll have to get mine rebuilt and I'll show it running at the Supercup ;)

Good news you have made a start, hope you have fun with your build :)

Nige.

Hi Nige, enjoying the build so far and I've also got an order coming your way soon. I keep finding bits that I need as I go along so I'm just putting a list together.

Cheers for looking evertone :thumbsup:

Edited by luke1983

Have you thought about the chassis flexing when bashing around in the dunes - Dakar-esque?

Many of the FG off-road chassis are rolled at the longitudinal edges for extra rigidity and are braced - aka FG MT, Marder, etc.

Nice project.

Any bodies in preparation?

Al.

Atom, good question but I think I'll take my chances, it's a very solid chassis so I reckon it'll be ok. I'll remember to observe it and ill brace it if I see it flexing.

I've cut up an FG Race Truck body which cost me a bloody bomb! I'll have to get another for the finished truck but I've worked out how I'll do it by butchering this one. Also some of the parts will come in handy for extending it. I wanna get the mechanical side of the project sorted first though so it may be a while before any of that is revealed...

Edited by luke1983

The one Nige did used alloy diff housings. You will probably find the diff cases are machined more simply inside rather than the sloping effect the plastics have. I know that was the case with Savage diff housings.

I thought about making a 6WD 5th scale, but scrapped the plans when I worked out what it was going to cost me! A 6x4 FG is still on the cards :) I am looking at doing it 1/8th scale instead as the cost is a fraction! I can get a Savage roller for about the same cost as a set of CNC diff housings for a Punisher....and you would need 4 sets in total to do the whole driveline.

It crossed my mind that the different diff cases Nige used might be the answer. You're right about the cost, it's soon adding up. It'll be more if i use the alloy diff housing too. I'm keeping all the reciepts so when I'm done I'll figure out exactly what it cost me, I'll post the truth on here and tell the missus it was a fraction of that!

I like working at 5th scale as it's less fiddly than 8th but the little bit of metal work I've done on this has increased my confidence insofar as making chassis plates goes at least!

Before I started I genuinely thought i'd need a computer programmed milling machine to work at it. I'd still love that bit of kit!

I look forward to either of the builds you mentioned.

Edited by luke1983
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update:

I spoke to Nige and was advised that I'd need to cut the offending part out of the diff case and use car filler type stuff to re-seal it. I didn't fancy my chances in pulling this off so I got another diff case and put together another one like the first one i made out of two halves with the holes for the drive shaft, I'll just block the rear hole to seal it. I've done this today and it works :yahoo:

I had intended to complete the drive train this aft but unfortunately the pinion gear I bought off EBay will not mesh with the teeth of the large cog in the diff. It's the centre diff pinion, my bad! I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point! A soon as I get this part I'll be able to finish the drive train. Then I intend to strip it, wash the plastic parts, re-grease it all (anyone know if copper grease be ok for this?) and threadlock it all together...

More updates soon

Edited by luke1983

• 2 weeks later...

Righto folks,

I've had an hour or so in the garage this afternoon and i've got the drive train working properly, wheels go around the correct way, all 6 of them! Well chuffed with it. I've never done awt much mechanically before so I'm pretty pleased wi meself! Its all thread locked together so I just need to get some suspension, wheels & tyres and she'll be a runner! Might be a few weeks or more though now as I'll have to wait until later in the month to see what cash is spare...

This pic shows the chassis extension all tied down and thread locked together just prior to testing.

gallery_15232_2095_1379017.jpg

A full body shot, sorry it's a crappy picture...

gallery_15232_2095_469393.jpg

And a very rough mock up of the finished product...

gallery_15232_2095_1095518.jpg

Edited by luke1983

I have some Punisher /Destroyer parts. I have about 10 shocks, at least 6 of them are complete and ready to use, then there are a load of shock spares like springs, seals, shafts, fittings ect. I also have a pair of CVD's, several drive shafts and drive cups. PM me if your interested on a good deal as they are surplus to requirements.

Good luck with the build, look forward to seeing it.

It's also a question of suitability for a 6 wheel project.

The Baja layout is not very friend;y to this kind of conversion anyway. The enclosed differentials and the way the chassis and engine are braced around the motor is a barrier too. You can do it by fitting another complete engine/drivetrain....but the length of the driveunit front-back means you end up with a rather long vehicle. Looks ungainly....and would be a serious handful.

FG's drivetrain is much more suited to that kind of thing as it's a bit more compact.

Also...as the general layout and spacing of the wheels is limited by direveline constraints. You want teh 4 rear wheels close together, not spaced too far apart, as you lose the look.

That's true, I like my rcs to look at least a bit scale!

I've only ever seen 1 Baja close up but it had the body on so I couldn't see the chassis/ diffs etc.

Also I hadn't thought about doing a 6 wheeler.

Edited by luke1983