• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pokemon what's that all about then ?

toys4x4boys

That said, i still think the newer stuff is not up to scratch and has gone over the top, both in the number of Pokemon and all of the content which quite frankly confuses battles.

Do sort of agree, TBH My ultimate team which I run on Diamond (I did AR to get them @ level 3, and leveled them up/EV Trained) includes mostly Pokemon from the original line up (Mewtwo is still the best and most powerful, I always run a Dragonite and sometimes a Charizard or Garidos)

However, Although there are some genuinely pathetic pokemon on the new Version (Gen 4) Like I kid you not an ice cream cone that evolves into a double cone? There are some very good never seen before combos. Like a Flying/Rock Fossil (Earthquake and Fly on a pokemon with huge base speed FTW) And the legendaries (Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon) are very interesting. I also think Zekrom is the best looking Pokemon of the lot! But yes, Mostly the next gen are rubbish, Especially the starters.

I don't want to offend any pokemon lovers out there, but I know someone who loves it and plays it all the time, and he is frankley the most annoying person I've ever met, and he plays it in the car whenever I've gone somwhere with him, which really annoys me! I just don't really see the point of Pokemon, and will never play it ( If I'm not forced to )

No offence taken, although some of that raises my eyebrow and i have to question it. Unless he is shoving the game in your face every-time or has the volume on loud, i don't see how him playing something which he wants to do by himself is going to affect you in a negative sense. Maybe because you find the person annoying you are subconsciously linking this annoyance to the games he is playing, aka Pokemon, despite them not actually being the main factor in why you are bothered in the first place. I feel you may be judging a book by its cover and have not yet experienced a fair point of view when it comes to the game seeing as the only times you have been around it is when this annoying friend(?) of yours is playing it, so negativity is rubbing off from that and giving a bad judgement.

It's a bit like exotic or different food: If you haven't tried something like an Oyster before but want to, then get the best and freshest one you can. You could buy a cheaper few-days old one and not enjoy it, but if you tried it in better conditions then you might have a completely different view on it. Same goes for this game, or anything in life really: Try it yourself in better/fairer conditions before you judge it, as you will never know otherwise. :)

Sorry to double post but i have a question concerning Heart Gold / Soul Silver. I've tried doing a Google search but it's not giving me a clear answer...

How many Pokemon are in those two games and what are the main generations? My confusion lies in the fact the game seems to allow a large number of generation types (1st being Red/Blue/Yellow, 2nd being Gold/Silver/Crystal, 3rd being Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, etc), however, i don't know if the entire generation range is included in the game or if you need to trade those Pokemon in to complete the Pokedex. Apparently there are a total of 400-something Pokemon to get in Heart Gold / Soul Silver but i cannot find any definite number on how many Pokemon are in the game already without needing to trade them in from other games. And to make things more confusing, apparently you can get legendaries/rare Pokemon from other generations too, so right now i have no idea what to think.

If it was literally just the 1st and 2nd generations with a couple of legendaries/rare Pokemon thrown in from others, that i would be fine with, but i can't even confirm that. Any help?

No offence taken, although some of that raises my eyebrow and i have to question it. Unless he is shoving the game in your face every-time or has the volume on loud, i don't see how him playing something which he wants to do by himself is going to affect you in a negative sense. Maybe because you find the person annoying you are subconsciously linking this annoyance to the games he is playing, aka Pokemon, despite them not actually being the main factor in why you are bothered in the first place. I feel you may be judging a book by its cover and have not yet experienced a fair point of view when it comes to the game seeing as the only times you have been around it is when this annoying friend(?) of yours is playing it, so negativity is rubbing off from that and giving a bad judgement.

It's a bit like exotic or different food: If you haven't tried something like an Oyster before but want to, then get the best and freshest one you can. You could buy a cheaper few-days old one and not enjoy it, but if you tried it in better conditions then you might have a completely different view on it. Same goes for this game, or anything in life really: Try it yourself in better/fairer conditions before you judge it, as you will never know otherwise. :)

This happens all the time dude... Mabye your right, but I also know someone else who was very cool and (used to) like it, and I, and all of my friends, thought it was weird. (He has now lost interest and is very cool again)

If it was literally just the 1st and 2nd generations with a couple of legendaries/rare Pokemon thrown in from others, that i would be fine with, but i can't even confirm that. Any help?

i got soul silver and as far as i can tell is just 2nd gen silver with better graphics and afew of the updated thing like contests (not played it for some time)

tbh i prefer the first one.

This happens all the time dude... Mabye your right, but I also know someone else who was very cool and (used to) like it, and I, and all of my friends, thought it was weird. (He has now lost interest and is very cool again)

pokemon makes people uncool...not surprised about that, happens all the time.

and although you ment no offence, i am offended :closedeyes:

pokemon makes people uncool...not surprised about that, happens all the time.

and although you ment no offence, i am offended :closedeyes:

Sorry about that mate, I will edit if you are that upset...:good:

How does it make people uncool? :rofl:

What a ridiculous statement.

I guess collecting toy cars and talking about engines and motors and various other guff makes you the man to be seen with? :whistling:

I am 21 now and have played Heart Gold and will probably play the newest one at some point, i don't think its uncool in the slightest, unless reliving your childhood again is considered uncool? I don't think so.

My three best mates all played it as well, and all four of us are what you would probably consider to be 4 'ard blokes, we all like a drink we all like boxing and football and are all active sports wise and socially.

But being young is something to be cherished and i do enjoy a bit of nostalgia now and again, you only live once and far too many people nowadays and of all ages were forced to grow up too quickly.

I am a big kid at heart, and very immature at times, but with things that matter i am always mature, direct and i act my age, but their is a time and a place for both.

When i was a kid Poke'mon was big news, cards, the series, the games. For many people my age it was a big part of their lives, looking forward to the next day at school to trade with your mates, waking up early on a Saturday morning to watch Poke'mon on SMTV Live...:lol:

And the best, having a Birthday on a Friday, going to school, coming home and finding you have a Gameboy colour and Poke'mon Red sitting there for you.

Can't beat those memories IMO and for me, my mates and the circle of friends we are in, our Girlfriends etc, its something we admire about each other, not something to be scoffed at.

Luckily my friends are normal and not Emo/Scene types...

You are only young once, and you only live once, make the most of it by doing what makes you happy, if people want to begrudge you doing that, then they can do one.

• Like 1

All the comments in this thread are all well and good but not one of you have actually answered the OP's question.

"What's it all about?"

My sons watch it on TV and I am often asking myself "what the hell is this about", so I'm intrigued myself especially as my eldest is asking for the games too. He is only 6 so I want him to be able to understand the games and not just want them because they are on the TV.

I LIKE MUDKIPS

lol my grandson when a you boy was highly into pokeyourmum as he would call them. we still have the english version of the collectors card book and the full set of collectors cards inc the rare jap hologram one's to

but i do like MudKips :D

it is about a young boy ASH that wants to become the pokemon grand master. as he travels to the stadiums he if followed by team rocket who also want to become pokemon masters. along the way they must battle pokemon against each other and you pokeballs to capture the pkemon they win battles against, meanwhile team rocket try to disrupt Ash's quest for the ultimate pokeman

most children either like charzard or pikachu

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

I thought the OPs question was more "why is this still popular and why do people like it" and not really "so what is the actual storyline". In that sense a lot of people answered him, but it could be seen as either one. :)

The storyline isn't really a strong point. I can sum it up in a few word: Someone wants to do or be something and stuff happens along the way. But as with everything, the journey and experience is what makes the goal worthwhile, so don't focus on the story and it will make much more sense. I haven't watched the cartoon series in years but i do know that the episodes were fairly "free-roaming" and were never in a hurry to reach the final destination, which is where all of the side-stories and stuff comes in. Again, it's not where you are going but how you get there, and in this case 'getting there' means going everywhere!

As for the games, think of them as being an RPG series but completely original in how everything works, from battle mechanics to the actual map/world layout itself. I can't really explain it all but it's something special and unique.

I am 21 now and have played Heart Gold

Ah, maybe you can answer my question! Am i right in saying that in Heart Gold / Soul Silver the 1st and 2nd generation Pokemon are available throughout the game, but after you beat the Elite 4 and move into the now unlocked areas, 3rd and 4th generations are then available for capture? If that isn't the case then how do the 3rd and 4th generations come into the game? I keep hearing from people how there is 400+ Pokemon in the game, but others say there is less than that and you need to trade some in from other games to complete the Pokedex. I'm trying to make heads and tails of this before i (possibly) purchase the game, because i'm a huge fan of the older generations and don't care so much for the newer ones.

Edited by thezeronumber

i'm 20 year old and like gunners pokemon was very big when i was younger (so i was about 9 or 10) it was like gunners said people all wanted to trade the cards and stuff, it got so bad that my scholl banned everything pokemon other than talking about it be in the school grounds.

this was when pokemon were just starting out, only 151 of them existed, but as its gone on it has gone alittle nuts, i now watch the tv program now and then and i seems to me the tv and gameboy games have drifted apart.

you may not think it but pokemon is still quite big, mainly due to people saying its uncool (which most people even ones who like it are saying) alot of people no long announce it, truth is i don't think its possible to explain why its done so well for over 10 odd years, i think in alot of cases it just somthing to pass the time.

not only that it often a good thing to let kids watch it, if you take a step back they accualy teach kids quite afew good things, teamwork, friendship and so on, few programs do this now plus you got the "fights" which kids seem to love the most, keeping them into it.

its the same with the games, teaching kids that you have to wait a while before you can do somthing, not giving up and so on.

i think people that don't understand it need to find the first 6 episodes and watch them, it will give them and idea on how things go, then take alook and other thing like the ones i mentioned, don't ask "whats this about" ask "whats it doing"

The first episode is powerful stuff. Ash gets attacked and is pretty much left laying on the ground before Pikachu comes long and almost dies trying to protect him. May sound a bit corny and stupid, but there is a definite 'something' to that very first episode that i have never seen in any series before, be it a cartoon, soap, drama, etc.

I thought the OPs question was more "why is this still popular and why do people like it" and not really "so what is the actual storyline". In that sense a lot of people answered him, but it could be seen as either one. :)

The storyline isn't really a strong point. I can sum it up in a few word: Someone wants to do or be something and stuff happens along the way. But as with everything, the journey and experience is what makes the goal worthwhile, so don't focus on the story and it will make much more sense. I haven't watched the cartoon series in years but i do know that the episodes were fairly "free-roaming" and were never in a hurry to reach the final destination, which is where all of the side-stories and stuff comes in. Again, it's not where you are going but how you get there, and in this case 'getting there' means going everywhere!

As for the games, think of them as being an RPG series but completely original in how everything works, from battle mechanics to the actual map/world layout itself. I can't really explain it all but it's something special and unique.

Ah, maybe you can answer my question! Am i right in saying that in Heart Gold / Soul Silver the 1st and 2nd generation Pokemon are available throughout the game, but after you beat the Elite 4 and move into the now unlocked areas, 3rd and 4th generations are then available for capture? If that isn't the case then how do the 3rd and 4th generations come into the game? I keep hearing from people how there is 400+ Pokemon in the game, but others say there is less than that and you need to trade some in from other games to complete the Pokedex. I'm trying to make heads and tails of this before i (possibly) purchase the game, because i'm a huge fan of the older generations and don't care so much for the newer ones.

There are 251 Pokemon in Heart Gold.

However, in the Safari Zone you can catch Pokemon that are in the later games, after you beat the Elite 4 and do some other jazz, you get the National Pokedex which allows you to catch and trade all the others in specific places and at certain times.

Collecting different objects/trading items from other games will allow you to get the Legendary Pokemon etc...

Can't tell you more than that really, a guide on the Net will tell you more :good:

As for the show, it was massive news and is one of the most successful and long running series of all time, there have also been 13 films and another is in the making.

I don't watch it anymore, but if i catch it on i will, and at some point i will probably buy the first 5 series on DVD just to relive the memories.

My three best mates all played it as well, and all four of us are what you would probably consider to be 4 'ard blokes, we all like a drink we all like boxing and football and are all active sports wise and socially.

Lol funnily enough there is a 20 year old lad at work who is a powerlifter, Bench presses 160kg, Deadlifts 200kg+, and has videos of him picking up the back end of a Transit van on his phone. He is 6 foot 2, 20 stone, but not fat. He was also extremely good at boxing as a teenager and trained martial arts, but simply became too big lol

He is easily the biggest gaming nerd and pokemon freak in the world. His amoung of knoweledge on the subject is out standing, at one point, he was on it 4 hours a day without fail for like 2 years (he is now on COD). He can recite the BASE STATS for all pokemon inc gen 5. His life is basically, Work, gym, eat, play pokemon whislt researching Serebii.

If anyone wants to call him a nerd or uncool, I'll gladly give you his Mobile ;)

The OP didn't start this out of curiousity, He started it so Necton didnt look sad ;)

Edited by Guns

Quite into Platinum now! and managed to pick up a DS.

Would anyone mind listing the Pokemon they used for the Elite 4 or w/e it is in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? smile.gif Just looking to get a hold of some decent ones and train them all up so I'm ready when i come to it.

The OP didn't start this out of curiousity, He started it so Necton didnt look sad ;)

Yup. That Necton should have just went ahead and started it himself and not of thought what other people thought of the subject. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Netcon

Lol funnily enough there is a 20 year old lad at work who is a powerlifter, Bench presses 160kg, Deadlifts 200kg+, and has videos of him picking up the back end of a Transit van on his phone. He is 6 foot 2, 20 stone, but not fat. He was also extremely good at boxing as a teenager and trained martial arts, but simply became too big lol

He is easily the biggest gaming nerd and pokemon freak in the world. His amoung of knoweledge on the subject is out standing, at one point, he was on it 4 hours a day without fail for like 2 years (he is now on COD). He can recite the BASE STATS for all pokemon inc gen 5. His life is basically, Work, gym, eat, play pokemon whislt researching Serebii.

If anyone wants to call him a nerd or uncool, I'll gladly give you his Mobile ;)

He sounds like me..Although i am a bit taller ^_^

I am not much of a Poke'Mon nerd anymore, i was when i was younger however.

Gunners, you powerlift? Interested to know your routine/max's :)

Netcon go on Serebii and look what the weakness' are :)

Aaron is the first one he uses Bug Type

Bertha is the second she uses Ground Type

Flint is the third he uses mainly Fire (Although has a steelix)

Lucian is the 4th and has Physcic

the E4 Champion has a mix but some strong Dragons!

You know all the weakness' right?

Edited by Guns

Gunners, you powerlift? Interested to know your routine/max's :)

Netcon go on Serebii and look what the weakness' are :)

Aaron is the first one he uses Bug Type

Bertha is the second she uses Ground Type

Flint is the third he uses mainly Fire (Although has a steelix)

Lucian is the 4th and has Physcic

the E4 Champion has a mix but some strong Dragons!

You know all the weakness' right?

Cheers for that, shouldn't be too much of a challenge then seeing as I picked the fire one as my starter!

Yeah tongue.gif

Time to bust out my GameBoy Colour when i get home B) pretty sure i've got pokemon yellow aswell

which one of the original games would people recommend? i've already played yellow when i was younger so would be nice to try somthing different

Yellow is pretty much Red/Blue with a new twist and a bit extra content, much like Crystal is the same for Gold/Silver. Because i've owned Gold (and i've just ordered Soul Silver, aka the DS remake of the original Silver), i would recommend getting hold of Crystal if you want some more older-school action. The 2nd generation series is a real joy to play as there are 100 new Pokemon and only a few small changes to the battle system, meaning you won't feel lost going from Yellow to Crystal and have a fighting chance at remembering the new additions! The game-play itself has also been expanded a great deal and feels twice the game R/B/Y was, which is really saying something.

The 1st and 2nd generation of Pokemon games are some of the best i have ever played; up there with the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, Team Fortress 2, and Minecraft.

Alternately if you own a GBA, you could buy Fire Red / Leaf Green. Those are the remakes of the original Red and Blue with the addition of 2nd generation maps, game-play mechanics and Pokemon (basically, 90% of the stuff taken from Gold and Silver, but injected right into these remakes).