• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

is there a 4 stroke engine for rc cars?

dnakaraoke

yes few folk used OS FS26S-C 4-stroke in 1/10 an bikes too

kyosho super10

super10%204t.JPG

super10%204t2.JPG

hopped up super10 with OS Max 15 LD

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

kyosho did sell 4stroke fw04 kit years ago an briefly with os15LD

Super%20Ten4t%20kit.JPG

proto type 4t bike

alleven%204t%20bike.jpg

alleven%204t%20enginetransmission.jpg

4t bike on track

Edited by R46

4 stroke motors are less common in the car world, but seem to be common in the planes nowadays. I can see them becoming more popular and available as noise issues become far more of an issue.

They will cost more as they aremorecomplex to build, and they are heavier and not quite as powerful ... but I much prefer teh noise they make :)

Basically...the 2 stroke uses the piston as a valve to allow mixture into the combustion chamber. The inlet and exhaust are controleld this way and there is an overlap, which makes them less fuel efficient due to lost mixture. They are light, simple and need no extra moving parts other than crank/rod/piston to work...hence their popularity as a hobby engine.

4 stroke has seperate intake, compression power and exhaust strokes. Effectively, there are half as many bangs in any given time. Mechanically more complex as you have valves opened and closed to allow fuel in and exhaust out. More efficient in terms of useing the fuel, but the mechanical complexity means more weight and internal friction so less power. Lot more work invovled in machining parts for a 4-stroke engine, which also puts up the price.

Basically...the 2 stroke uses the piston as a valve to allow mixture into the combustion chamber. The inlet and exhaust are controleld this way and there is an overlap, which makes them less fuel efficient due to lost mixture. They are light, simple and need no extra moving parts other than crank/rod/piston to work...hence their popularity as a hobby engine.

4 stroke has seperate intake, compression power and exhaust strokes. Effectively, there are half as many bangs in any given time. Mechanically more complex as you have valves opened and closed to allow fuel in and exhaust out. More efficient in terms of useing the fuel, but the mechanical complexity means more weight and internal friction so less power. Lot more work invovled in machining parts for a 4-stroke engine, which also puts up the price.

so the only upsideto a 4 stroke then is fuel effieciency and the sweet sound? i think i'll stick to 2 stroke thengood.gif

And the increased complexity and cost....

I can see, though, that the RC world will go the same way as the bike world. Strokers will die out due to noise and thirst. Then we will all have to use 4 strokes :)

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. i like power too much to have less of it for more moniessad.gif