• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

So much choice...

ArcTrooper1773

Hi there, long time racer here :D

I've recently been propositioned by my dad to help him set up a sort of R/C club for his kids at school (private - money's no object, but we're looking at prices people won't automatically balk at anyway). We've narrowed it down, so far, to a few different options. If you guys have any helpful thoughts and suggestions, would you be kind enough to share? :D

So:

1. TT-01. Great deals on MSUK, and I personally think this is the best one to go for. Clear instructions, Tamiya's NukeProof ™ build quality, etcetera. Only issue is that this *is* a money is no object school, so we're worried that the kids'll appear for only their second week of racing scale cars with big grins and shiny new XRays and Losis and such.
  2. Ansmann Master Smacker. Very cheap and cheerful, but apparently build quality isn't so good and the instructions are lousy (considering this is schoolkids who A) will crash and B ) will need decent guidelines for something this complex we're talking about, these seem important points in the 'Cons' column. Something else to note there is that replacements need to be on the cheaper side of things ;) ).
  3. DuraTrax Vendetta (buggy/TC). Seems great, potentially the winner here, but where on earth can you get them in the UK!? More to the point, they seem to be more expensive than the above deals on MSUK when you get them to race-state.

The main points of the exercise are to get the kids thinking mechanically, technically and tactically with building the cars from kits, doing a decent job on painting the body shells (individually if possible) and setting up. They'll ideally have their own choices to hop up with a variety of different parts offering different gains in performance, and while we're not aiming to be a proper R/C club with timing and so on (Stocksbridge R/C club is where we plan to get them all meeting up and racing competetively), we're hoping we can have some kind of open practice with the kids all getting into it together at the school as well.

Thanks for reading :) Hope you don't mind giving any suggestions you have for different car options :D

Edited by ArcTrooper1773

First off.. Welcome to the forum! biggrin.gif

If you're just going to be using them indoors or on tarmac then TT-01s or the FWD M-03/05 would be great bets I think. They're both good cars to start people off with and learn about the basics of R/C mechanics, have millions of hop-ups readily available along with spares. Stocksbridge have specific racing for the M-03/05s (limited to the stock motors) and 1/10 TCs like the TT-01, but the TT-01 really isn't a match for the machines that others will have. For beginners the M series would probably be a bit less daunting and more competitive at a club, as everyone is driving basically the same car, so could be a better place to start.

Hope that helps!

The Duratrax Vendetta is a version of the Anderson MR4 which is sold in the UK as the FTX Blaze and LRP Shark.

Its probably the best choice of the three as its the only proper racing platform. This means a host of tuning options without spending any money as all. Also, as a micro stuff generally costs a bit less then 1/10th, so upgrade motors, cells etc aren't too expensive. The chassis dominates micro class racing, so its not fragile and when you go to a 'real' club it will be competitive.

But even better still I'd like to suggest the Carisma GT14 (also sold as the Sportwerks Recoil). Being a TC design the shells are easier to paint, and several types exist. There is a pro version which means the base car can hopped up, but unlike with TT-01's the advantage of doing so is small as the standard chassis is competition ready. Its the only car in its class so the worst anyone can do is turn up with a David Spashett edition Recoil (the most hopped up version). It's 1/14th, so less space is needed to run. It takes micro electrics which are cheap and its very robust. Several indoor clubs race them as a one make class.

Yes, but the very next week some smartypants will get an X-6 conversion for their B4 and everything goes nuts.......

if you aren't familiar with it, the X6 is a mid engine conversion for the B4 series, that costs as much as the B4 itself does. The result is a car that works better on some tracks, but not all.

01-17-2009_01big.jpg

ArcTrooper's Dad here!

Personally, I think 1/10th is too big as I only plan to introduce the kids to the sport (hobby?) - I'm not looking to run a "proper" club especially. Also, 1/10 cars a) travel faster and B) have more mass so do more damage (thinking feet & ankles here) if they hit you. Also, 1/10 would require a larger arena.

They would be run INDOORS in a sports hall, so that would exclude Nitro.

Despite my son's post, I am looking to keep the costs down. If I can get a chassis, body, Tx & Rx radio gear, Xtals, a couple of NiMH batteries nd a charger for £150, that would be ideal.

Was hoping for 1/14th or 1/18th really. Ideally in kit form so that the kids get to build the vehicles - if they put 'em together they should have a fair idea of what's broken and how to fix it when they have a crash - so that precludes RTR unless that is the only option.

Would like something that is able to be "hopped up", so that after they have got the bug, there is room to "grow".

Thinking that a buggy would be probably more robust & less likely to break - plus we could incorporate jumps, bridges, tunnels (?) for fun.

What I DON'T want is anything with Imperial threads (I guess that rules out Associated).

I have been out of the sport/hobby for about 2 1/2 years so if you have any specific recommendations, the full name of the model, plus a link to a dealer website would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

CC

EDIT: Also need to know where folks get old fire hose and large weights from for track boundaries.

Edited by Captain Courageous

Mardaves aren't exactly a challenge to build though. Never mind the kits - I knocked up a V12 clone in the DT workshop at school in an afternoon in order to show my Formula Schools project group how easy it is!

RTR's are the norm for base level models. The 'pro' versions however tend to come as kits, but without electrics. However, since they tend to have most of the upgrades already fitted that limits the potential there.

TC's actually tend to be more robust than buggys, in so far as the shell encloses the vulnerable wishbones. Plus of course there is the option of a variety of different shells.

RC18T2's are metric. Quite a lot of Associateds newer stuff is.

Personally I'd still say go with the Carisma's - they can come ARTR so the pupils can at least finish them, as with this GT14 Mk2 Pro linked here. CML as in the link are the distributor, so can find you the best local dealer.

If you want jumps, I'd say either the Carisma R14 (basically a GT14 rally car) or the Associated RC18R and make small jumps. I'd avoid 1/18th buggys because the minute someone turns up with one of these they will walk all over the competition, and things get expensive fast.

Pre-made micro stick packs fit straight into a Carisma GT14. Apart from being RTR, its perfect. You could split the car down and bag it up beforehand to make it a kit before letting the children loose on rebuilding it back up again?

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-made micro stick packs fit straight into a Carisma GT14. Apart from being RTR, its perfect. You could split the car down and bag it up beforehand to make it a kit before letting the children loose on rebuilding it back up again?

Good Advertisment for a model shop to DONATE dont you think?? MSUK springs to mind:whistling: its a good idea to get kids involved in this Hobby/Sport. and it would get them from behind those xboxes/playstations and get them using their brains and show them what fun can be had outside of the house GOOD IDEA:good::good::good::good::good::good:

Edited by KORB

If this goes to plan, then I hope you start off the next generation of the hobby!

Only problem, how are you going to get girls into this? From my experience (I'm 13 :P ) girls that kind of age don't care about how a wider bore makes your engine rev harder and how it's important not to run lean.

If this goes to plan, then I hope you start off the next generation of the hobby!

Only problem, how are you going to get girls into this? From my experience (I'm 13 :P ) girls that kind of age don't care about how a wider bore makes your engine rev harder and how it's important not to run lean.

Don't worry mate, just wait until they get into their early twenties, then they love a harder reving wider bore! rofl.gif

TOO RIGHT, Nothing worse than a piston slapping against a lose bore confused.gif

And if this was a 4 stroke engine the timing (most importantly when the fuel goes into the cylinder) would have to be right, plenty of delay, but not so much it fires late and not so much that it fires early ;)

Edited by henzy190