• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Update on those towers Allan. They are the: Edit ED010181 Hot bodies Lightning stadium shock tower.

Managed to find one stupidly cheap  :naughty:, just put it on me car :D

Get some pics up later tonight

Allan

Done a lovely bit of bashing today, lots of jumps and even more crashes without breaking anything. Having said that my steering servo lost most of it power and decided to stop, I think it's time to get another one that slots straight in but maybe a bit more powerful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you run buggy or truggy? I have the buggy flux and I use http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=385825&gclid=CjwKEAjw0q2pBRC3jrb24JjE8VgSJAAyIzAdx7RaRuTo1XZDd779OrkIi3x1eO6_9XNh8ny_OjK4phoCLYTw_wcB in mine. Everyone seems to suggest savox first but I've not had any problems with this and it's been in over 6months. It's about 5mm taller than the std Hpi one but comes wuth tge mounting bracket to suit. I'm sure the truggy servos lie on there side though don't they so this may be an issue?

Mr postman finally brought my hardened diff sets and seals Yaay.

stripped the offending front one and I had metallic oil in there so cleaned it all out with degreaser and rebuilt with the new bits and some 7k. Part built the front back up for now, I'll finish that later on and hopefully charge the batts for a blast tomorrow B-)

Out today with the gt, jumping nicely, then i see the car skidding along on the front arms wheels akimbo, here's what i found

SAM_0337.jpg
SAM_0340.jpg

6cec997e-b44f-4448-944e-0ce73609e298.jpg

Guess its time for another upgrade, alu front c-hubs and rear hubs (bit of excess play noted when i added the new hb rear outer suspension shafts that arrived this morning) now on there way.

Dirt bonz and RPM Revolver rims on the way too, aswell as a nice new spoiler.

Allan

Unlucky Allan, I've been out for a hour the last two days and managed to not break anything...probably just tempting fate there.

maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem to be as fast as it used to seem, although when it comes past my feet it's going fast enough to make me move out of it's way,

maybe I have too much mechanical sympathy as I don't like holding trigger full for more than a couple of seconds, but I've always driven it in a similar way

Hey, these were a couple light jump (this time anyway), i think one side was unnoticed damage and the other (the side that split in half) was damage from the hub hitting the c-hub, well alu replacements are on there way, until these new tyres i had never been able to get traction past half ish throttle, anything more (while from slow/standstill) would instantly spin all 4 wheels and even backing off would not help regain traction, these replacements (while i wait for dirt bonz and rpm revolver wheels) seem to give the car more grip, the tread pattern seems very similar to the stock lightning stadium ones but performance between the 2 is quite different.

I've confirmed that i pulled the screw (along with the thread) from the alu hub on that landing, anyone know what the thread size is so i can order a helicoil set

On a side note (another one yes) i have managed to get my hands on 4 (yes) 4 edit 3.5mm shock shafts (for less way less than a tenner for all 4) anyone know where there are another 4 going cheap (don't wanna pay

Hey, these were a couple light jump (this time anyway), i think one side was unnoticed damage and the other (the side that split in half) was damage from the hub hitting the c-hub, well alu replacements are on there way, until these new tyres i had never been able to get traction past half ish throttle, anything more (while from slow/standstill) would instantly spin all 4 wheels and even backing off would not help regain traction, these replacements (while i wait for dirt bonz and rpm revolver wheels) seem to give the car more grip, the tread pattern seems very similar to the stock lightning stadium ones but performance between the 2 is quite different.

I've confirmed that i pulled the screw (along with the thread) from the alu hub on that landing, anyone know what the thread size is so i can order a helicoil set

On a side note (another one yes) i have managed to get my hands on 4 (yes) 4 edit 3.5mm shock shafts (for less way less than a tenner for all 4) anyone know where there are another 4 going cheap (don't wanna pay

Does anyone know how to set the toe and camber? When I put the alloy hubs and knuckles on the front and rear it changed everything and I don't know where to start to get it to the way it should be

Guesstimation. I'd love to have one of those rigs you can buy for it but they cost a fortune!

Something like this: http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_info.php/hudy-alu-set-system-for-off-road-cars-truggy-p-25643

Best I came up with is to use one of those right angle metal rulers or set squares against it before touching it and then get it somewhere close to the same afterwards by eye. Been near enough so far.

Just came across this:

http://driftmission.com/eagle-racing-camber-gauge-review/

I forgot......... I have a pitch gauge for my V2 raptor heli, that might work!

I've destroyed a ton of those threads on the alu hubs. The thread size is M4. These seriously need to be upgraded by HPI to something similar to the D8T it's a flippin' joke. The Hellfire carrier/spindle sets I fitted to mine take a battering with no sign of any wear or damage but unfortunately the steering is c**p. Possibly the steering holder and rods are a little too far back for the swing of the spindle, either need to customize the holder or the spindle arms.

Where do you come across all this stuff you get cheap man? You must live on ebay or summat :D

I was thinking of using the 3.5 shafts off the pulse shocks for my stock chassis but those cost a bunch.

The tires I like best on mine so far are the JConcepts sevens half ups, for grass at least.

Have decided that the HPI Phaltlines are rubbish. The compound is quite hard causing low grip and constant wheelspin which results in bald tread and side tears after 5 runs of 12 minutes driven hard.

Hey Daz, yeah ive stripped a few of the stock ones (by over tightening them) i thought the hot bodies 7075 upgraded ones would of been stronger (though the force of a few jumps was just a matter of time before it happened)

I do spend a wee bit o time on the bay (when i have a spare min, especially when im waiting on an auction ending) but i got the edit shock shafts aswell as a couple edit shock towers from a wee online store called   http://www.JK-RC.co.uk  ,  When i first found the store and that it had some hard to find parts cheap, i thought it was another scam site, put payment with paypal eased those thoughts, after a small "tester" order came with no problem, as have a few since.

Allan

Hey Daz, yeah ive stripped a few of the stock ones (by over tightening them) i thought the hot bodies 7075 upgraded ones would of been stronger (though the force of a few jumps was just a matter of time before it happened)

I do spend a wee bit o time on the bay (when i have a spare min, especially when im waiting on an auction ending) but i got the edit shock shafts aswell as a couple edit shock towers from a wee online store called   http://www.JK-RC.co.uk  ,  When i first found the store and that it had some hard to find parts cheap, i thought it was another scam site, put payment with paypal eased those thoughts, after a small "tester" order came with no problem, as have a few since.

Allan

Yep. Hate those hubs :D

Not a chance I'd pay

I don't suppose anyone has a link to an exploded view of the front shocks? Had a blast around a gravel car park this morning and the top nut on the inside of the shock has come undone and lost all the oil. I can't use the other side as a guide because I bodged that a while ago...

I bought a rebuild kit at the time but never fitted it as the bodge held. I've had a look on Google but didn't find what I was looking for. I've seen a pic somewere in the past but now I could do with it I can't find it...

I don't suppose anyone has a link to an exploded view of the front shocks? Had a blast around a gravel car park this morning and the top nut on the inside of the shock has come undone and lost all the oil. I can't use the other side as a guide because I bodged that a while ago...

I bought a rebuild kit at the time but never fitted it as the bodge held. I've had a look on Google but didn't find what I was looking for. I've seen a pic somewere in the past but now I could do with it I can't find it...

Maybe this will help

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/160342-shock-rebuilding/

Got me spoiler to day along with me RPM Revolver rims,  cracked a conrod, scored the piston and liner, taught me kids some new words at the top of my voice.  Today's been full of ups and downs

Allan

There is a breakdown of the shock on page 41 of the manual here: https://www.hpiracing.com/assets/documents/instruction_manuals/101874_trophy_truggy_flux_glb_m_v1.pdf

Those 2 little black collars and the 2 oil seals at the bottom of the body are put in: seal - collar 2mm - seal - collar 3mm then the little clip goes on. The top of shock shaft goes: 2.55mm washer - plastic piston - then the nut goes on.

Got me spoiler to day along with me RPM Revolver rims,  cracked a conrod, scored the piston and liner, taught me kids some new words at the top of my voice.  Today's been full of ups and downs

Allan

Oh dear is probably what you said :D

Might cost a couple of quid. May be cheaper to get another engine :(

Back in the cluuuuuub! Just won a hot bodies lighting 2 (same as trophy buggy) roller on eBay. Looks okay but missing some bits but I always like a bit of a project. Never really got into the buggy scene only owned one briefly a while back but didn't like that but decided to give it another go

Edited by rctech132

It's a close call in cost. Depends if you want to do the work or just drop one in and be done.

Aye it is, guess we'll see (though i do want to turbo spec this engine)

Here is my gt wearing its new boots

SAM_0363.jpg

SAM_0364.jpg

SAM_0365.jpg

Will be interesting to see how these tyres perform (well when i get an engine for it)

Allan

I ventured up to the quarry again for a bash...managed to miss aim a jump and hit myself in the leg haha then continued for a bit longer before it cut out, but altogether with no steering either. Motor was hottest, but that was only warm though. Checked battery connections, flicked it off, back on and it came back for 5mins and then cut out, carried it home and put batts back to storage charge for now...