• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First Nitro Car - Any recommendations?

Puma937

Looking to buy a Nitro RC Car and have been somewhat confused by the vast choice - HPI, Thunder Tiger, Kyosho, Traxxas etc....

Im a total novice, so would welcome any advice or recommendations. Looking to outlay about £300 tops, and would like something that I can upgrade in future.

Have been looking at the HPI Firestorm or HPI Trophy 3.5 or Kyosho DBX (as starter nitros) ???

Not sure if 2wd or 4wd is better?

Further google research has thrown up the following options as well. Are any of these any good:-

http://www.ishimarac...rave_m1_0s.html

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=33428

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=35573

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=32569

Any owners thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by Puma937

Might be me but I can't get those links to work. WORKING NOW

I have a Trophy 3.5 (see other thread) goes well, just need to make it look a tad shinier than it is confused.gif I am a total novice too, in at the deep end ...lol!

Edited by Matty777

links you posted are all good cars , i own an ishima rave and find it reliable and fairly well built ( only repair so far is the front bumper broke and its been getting bashed for 2-3 months now , the original tyres are a tad on soft side and wear quickly)

the hypers as well are good cars

the pulse is a tad expensive compared to the others imo

4 wheel drive is i think better than 2 wheel drive

i would give the kyosho dbx a miss as my sons 1 seems a tad fragile and a friends 1 was a bit tempramental and for same money you could get an ishima or a hyper

Edited by Stormbringer

Well I would go for the Hyper 7 TQ or Black. These have about for a while but have had many updates, the parts are so easy to come by and are cheap.

You could easly race this in a standard for, they come in a ready to run.

Hyper Black Link

Regards

Andy

Thanks for all the assistance - must admit that the more I research, the worst the choice gets. Just too many cars.........I want them all.

I did consider 2nd hand, but as a nitro novice, I thought it might be best to avoid just incase of any problems from the off.

Cheers for the help.

For a first car, if you have the budget for it, then buying new is best as you get to break in the motor, tune it and know what has be done to/with it. That is often better than buying something with damage, issues, or thigns that just are not right. When you have a bit more experience, tehn you can pick up used bargains and have a better idea of what to look out for...but with new you know it must be right...so you have a few potential pitfalls eliminated :)

Now....there are a few lessons I learnty the hard way about nitros:

1) Look at spares availabilty. Can you get parts for it easliy, and are the websites you find the parts on covred with 'out of stock' or 'on order' messages. If you break something you want to know you can get back on the go again with minimal delay. Also look at prices. If you are a novice, you know there is a good chance of accidents. Best to be prepared!

2) Is the car a well known model. If lots of people have them, there is a much better chance that someone will have met the problem you have and know hte solution. A lot of the problems you will find are 'generic' and plenty of people will be able to help, but if you get somethign particular to your car, what is the chance of getting help?

3) Consider what you will do if the car you buy turns out not to be for you. Can happen. Is it something you can sell on for decent money or are you going to be stuck with it. An Acem Condor may be cheap to buy, but the chances of selling it on are remote. Something like a Savage or a Hyper 7 wouldn't be hard to shift.

4) Is it forgiving? Whilst hte Hyper 7 TQ Black is a nice car, the motor is a 'racing' motor, which means it's going to be fussier to tune. Can you live with that? I started off with an XTM XT2 which seemed to run well enough no matter what I did wtth the tuning. When I actually worked out how to tune it, the thing got better...but it was easy to start and ran with a tune that was far from right. If you are learning, you want a car that will still go if it's running too rich, and will help you feel your way to a good tune. A softer engine might well give you that.

Now...on top of that, you need to work out what style of car floats your boat. A buggy is good...but if hte going is a bit rougher, then a Truggy is the weapon of choice. Plus I think they look better IMHO. Perhaps you fancy a Monster truck though...I was a bit unsure about hte handling of one...but have been lured into the purchase of a used Savage :) There is a lot of choice, and each model design has plusses and minuses. Other than that...stick with mainstream manufacturers with good parts availability and go have fun :)

• Like 1

HPI Trophy 3.5 is a good place to start.

It's my first nitro. Easy to start & tune pluss plenty of spare bits all over the place!!

Ive got a hong nor X1X-CR as my first nitro. The thing is very well built and has taken abuse even from a noob like me.

Ive now hopped up to a spekky TX and RX, upgraded servo's, jp4 pipe and upgraded shock towers. I love the thing!!!!

hoi savage is excellent also the hpi trophy 3.5 is good but if your after more power then go for the pulse on your list because it is basically the trophy with a beefy engine.

good luck finding one

smithygood.gif

I bought an HPI MT-2, I think its going to be an impressive littel trcuk once ive finished tuning

Broke the engine in yesterday then started the tune up, each little tweak was giving impressive differences in speed and its still got a bit more to give yet.

Well pleased with it and a good base to start out from I think.

Edited by Haywiremav

• 3 weeks later...

If i started again this is what i would have, http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/X1XCRT.html i have the X2 and love it my dad has the X1 and the engine is easy to tune VERY FAST nice to work on, with spares on ebay as well as most of the online shops

I have a caster ZX1 as well the chassis is good and the servos are good, but the engine was rubbish, much better buggy since i changed it

• Like 1

If i started again this is what i would have, http://www.apexmodel...how/X1XCRT.html i have the X2 and love it my dad has the X1 and the engine is easy to tune VERY FAST nice to work on, with spares on ebay as well as most of the online shops

I have a caster ZX1 as well the chassis is good and the servos are good, but the engine was rubbish, much better buggy since i changed it

AMEN to that LOL :rofl: