• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro moster truck recommendations

bp2411

Hello everyone, I want to buy a nitro monster truck I have never had a nitro vehicle before but I fancy a change from electric on road cars.

I have been looking at HPI Savages on ebay but I dont know what is the best type or how much to pay tbh. What speeds do these reach without any upgrades?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to let me know

thanks

Hey,

I own a savage and personally i think there a great truck, from what i hear there one of the best monster trucks if not the best MT, theyre not really built for speed but are fast enough, id say they go 35-45 mph average depending on what model you go for, the X RTR is a brilliant truck and is excellent for begineers great fun and durable.

Hope ive helped.

I bought a savage 25 on ebay do they take 25% fuel?

The listing said it has lots of spare parts, reverse gear, 3 speed gearbox, spare wheels, 3 shells, roto start so it sounds almost ready to go.

any recommendations on a fail safe?

also is there a specific after run oil I should use or is it all the same?

thanks

Edited by bp2411

I bought a savage 25 on ebay do they take 25% fuel?

The listing said it has lots of spare parts, reverse gear, 3 speed gearbox, spare wheels, 3 shells, roto start so it sounds almost ready to go.

any recommendations on a fail safe?

also is there a specific after run oil I should use or is it all the same?

thanks

Depends on the engine but 25% should get you going... have a look on the modelsport site for both fail safe and after run oil... fail safe is dead easy to fit

Enjoy!!!

i have a savage and theyre virtually indestructable, i wouldnt personnally go with a traxxas because theyre made of glass imo. :good:

Made of glass?? :whistling: Have you actually owned one?

Well I own a 1/16 and 1/10 E-Revo and trust me neither are made of glass, they are fantastic trucks, very strong and handle very well!! :good:

EDIT- I'm not bashing Savvy's either by the way, I love Savvy's and intend on owning one very soon!

Edited by JayJ

Made of glass?? :whistling: Have you actually owned one?

Well I own a 1/16 and 1/10 E-Revo and trust me neither are made of glass, they are fantastic trucks, very strong and handle very well!! :good:

EDIT- I'm not bashing Savvy's either buy the way, I love Savvy's and intend on owning one very soon!

+1

I agree entirely, Savage, Revo, LST2 etc. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I've had 4 Savvys and to be honest they are no where near as good as the Revo,the Revos diffs and bevels are stronger,they handle a lot better,more balanced overall and are of a much better and newer design,the Revo wasnt the 7 times world champion for nothing,the Savage never even comes close at the ROAR finals,i've had mine a while now and its by no means standard but then 2 of the Savvys I had were well modded,its very rare that mine breaks at all,a lot on here have seen what mine gets put through and can testify to its strength,same with Marks (revorocks) and many more who have modded Revos.

The Savage is also a lot more awkward to work on,parts are more expensive too,i'll tell it like it is,far too many people bum Savages and they're old,heavy and boring,there are a few MT's out there that are underestimated,the Thunder Tiger Hammer S18/AE Mini MGT 3.0,The new/old HPI Bullet/HB Lightning GT10 and dont forget the good old T-Maxx,i'd have one of those over a Savage any day,yes they're old now but Traxxas know how to keep things looking good and selling well,that and the way they engineer their models is far better than HPI,the customer service is second to none,the only other mfr that equals them is Shumacher in that dept...;)

i just had the engine out on my sav, and i will defo echo the words of the terminator, its a right pain to work on, to be honest ive never liked the look of any traxxas cars, thats why i went for the savage, however its only ever been a pain in the neck to me, so if it doesnt work out this time, i may have to take a serious look at the revo, seems like the obvious next choice.

losi for me mate you carnt go wrong with an lst2 like some of the guys on here i have had a large number of traxxas and savages and always found my self back with a savage.

the revo is a nice truck and very well built but the gear box leaves alot to be disired unless you do a foward only conversion and the 3.3 engine can be a nightmare to tune.

good luck with your choice

by the way buying a truck from ebay is always a lottery best thing to do is buy from one of the guys on here ask loads of questions then atleast you know it been looked after.

• Like 1

losi for me mate you carnt go wrong with an lst2 like some of the guys on here i have had a large number of traxxas and savages and always found my self back with a savage.

the revo is a nice truck and very well built but the gear box leaves alot to be disired unless you do a foward only conversion and the 3.3 engine can be a nightmare to tune.

good luck with your choice

by the way buying a truck from ebay is always a lottery best thing to do is buy from one of the guys on here ask loads of questions then atleast you know it been looked after.

totally agree, ask lots of q`s to satisfy any curiositys you may have. good luck.