• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carb Problem

Smoothybb

This might be obvious to someone out there so wondering if anyone can help.

Bought a used .18 engine off fleabay, seems okay, clean and plenty of compression.

Problem I got is no fuel going in. Priming it fails to get any fuel into the carb, stops

about 2mm away. Took the pipe off tank and tried blowing - no hope, seems totally

blocked. If you screw the low speed (??- the one on the fuel intake) needle all the

way out there's no restriction. Soon as you screw it back in even 1 turn, back to no

flow. Any ideas? Wrong needle, something blocked? As I say, with needle out there's

no restriction but even just getting it started on the threads and goes back to blocked?

Am confused!!

If there is no fuel getting to the carb then it sounds from the tests that you just did that the problem is indeed in the carb. If you screw the high speed needle in too far the end can break off and wedge itself in the carb, blocking the airflow completely (or in your case the previous owner perhaps?!). I would strip down the carb an give it a good cleaning, the reason should be obvious if in the carb. Try to buy a new carb if possible if there were problems in there, and always make sure to replace any o-rings etc when replacing carb.

If in doubt use rtv silicone where you can to seal it up on the crankcase. Other than that as suggested above it could be that the settings are so far out on the carb it isnt letting any fuel through...for this to be the case one of the screws i.e. high/low speed would have to be (wrongly) screwed in as far as it can go (which would also have the effect of breaking the high speed needle tip) :good:

Reading your answer again, it could be the wrong needle etc. Best bet again is to find factory settings that are correct, and then a new carb for that engine tif this doesnt work. ;) Looking down the high speed barrel there should be a tiny pin hole at the bottom. Check this hasnt been blocked. One one of my engines, the tip of the needle had been wedged into this gap completely sealing it...i.e. been screwed in too much.

Okay, thanks for all the replies. Think it's a Thunder Tiger .18,had to put everything in the shed as we had guests!! :(

If it's wrong settings then they're way out cos it creates a vacuum in the primer bulb, so no flow at all!

Sounds like I better strip the whole carb down. Damn second hand engines lol.

Again, thanks for all your help.