• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

.50 Engine in MTA4 S28

Rickster922

Hey there, I am new to this forum and just wanted some information or advice on things.

I am looking to fit a .50 sized engine in an MTA4 S28. I know the engine will fit but I am concerned about the spur gear mount.

The chasis on the S28 is actually the same as the S50. For me to fit a .50 sized engine, I have been told that I would need to replace the existing plastic spur gear with a steel one or else it will be stripped. The steel spur on the S50 is fitted with a mount which is screwed on through the chasis but I am not sure if this can be done on the S28's. I know that it will also need a wheelie bar at the back to replace the existing rear bumper.

The price mounts when you consider all the things your going to have to do so I need some peoples opinions. Is it a good idea or just a waste of time and money?

Hey there, I am new to this forum and just wanted some information or advice on things.

I am looking to fit a .50 sized engine in an MTA4 S28. I know the engine will fit but I am concerned about the spur gear mount.

The chasis on the S28 is actually the same as the S50. For me to fit a .50 sized engine, I have been told that I would need to replace the existing plastic spur gear with a steel one or else it will be stripped. The steel spur on the S50 is fitted with a mount which is screwed on through the chasis but I am not sure if this can be done on the S28's. I know that it will also need a wheelie bar at the back to replace the existing rear bumper.

The price mounts when you consider all the things your going to have to do so I need some peoples opinions. Is it a good idea or just a waste of time and money?

Won't you need a new exhaust manifold as well? I thought the 8.0s had a side manifold?

I'd go for the LRP Z.30 Spec 2,its got more power than the .50 and will use slightly less fuel.You wouldn't have to neccessarily upgrade the spur gear but a steel one would hold up better,as for the beefed up spur carrier,that wouldn't be needed really but you will be able to add it if you wanted to...wink.gif

Won't you need a new exhaust manifold as well? I thought the 8.0s had a side manifold?

Yea I remembered that just after I posted it and couldnt be bothered editing it but yea thats another thing which stacks on top of the price.

I'd go for the LRP Z.30 Spec 2,its got more power than the .50 and will use slightly less fuel.You wouldn't have to neccessarily upgrade the spur gear but a steel one would hold up better,as for the beefed up spur carrier,that wouldn't be needed really but you will be able to add it if you wanted to...wink.gif

Thanks for the information, will the LRP .30 use the same exaust manifold as the .28 or even the .50? With it being LRP, I am concerned if I am going to have trouble fitting the exaust onto the chasis. If a spur gear mount is not needed then what is the exact reason for having one? Does it give extra strength?

Anyway thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Thanks for the information, will the LRP .30 use the same exaust manifold as the .28 or even the .50? With it being LRP, I am concerned if I am going to have trouble fitting the exaust onto the chasis. If a spur gear mount is not needed then what is the exact reason for having one? Does it give extra strength?

Anyway thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I thought of putting an LRP in mine, but went for an STS .30 instead. It's

You would probably get more torque with the .50 ... but the question is, will that just result in pointless, endless wheelies? You could gear it up and go faster, but I can't help thinking the .50 is more engine than the car actually needs or could handle. It's great to say 'I have a .50 engine....' but I suspect the novelty would wear off.

The LRP Z30 is one of the motors I have my eye on for when the stock .28 in the TT ST-1 finally gives up the ghost. They make a LOT of power for their size, and whilst they are not cheap....they look to be a good investment.

You would probably get more torque with the .50 ... but the question is, will that just result in pointless, endless wheelies? You could gear it up and go faster, but I can't help thinking the .50 is more engine than the car actually needs or could handle. It's great to say 'I have a .50 engine....' but I suspect the novelty would wear off.

The LRP Z30 is one of the motors I have my eye on for when the stock .28 in the TT ST-1 finally gives up the ghost. They make a LOT of power for their size, and whilst they are not cheap....they look to be a good investment.

I'm not necessarily looking for more speed, I actually want more torque. With the truck being the size it is, I feel that more speed is just not even worth it (even though its more fun). I almost totalled the truck when not even looking at how sharp a bend was on this road and went slapping into the pavement or kerb, and thats with the .28. I have always wanted to do the wheelies but have never been able to pull one off but I know for deffonate that the .50 engine will pull wheelies with ease.

Its just the only thing im concerned about is that spur gear replacement, is it the same assembly as the plastic one?