• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

More hassle than its worth ?

8800GT

If you are looking for a starter buggy, you could do a lot worse than an XTM XT2 ... it was my first buggy, and still gives me hours of fun. Spares are easy to get and the thing is pretty robust and tolerant of novices. The engine started and ran out of the box, and with a .247 motor, it's plenty quick enough. Realistically, expect to pay a little over

find someone local on here before giving up on it.

Tuning is simple when you know what you are doing, unfortunately its not the easiest thing to learn in the space of a month.

thing is though i put in a new glow plug and as told to lean the engine 1/8th of a turn until i can get to full throttle without it stalling. I have been doing this leaning the engine hsn clockwise. but the engine got worse and eventually wouldnt start until i set it back to factory settings. I have now damaged on the plastic gears which drives the 4wd. Its the gear which runs against the clutch gear which is he furthest away from the engine. the gears are damaged.

find someone local on here before giving up on it.

Tuning is simple when you know what you are doing, unfortunately its not the easiest thing to learn in the space of a month.

yup thats the best idea

i know with my first nitro it caused nothing but hastle to me, till i had read the manual a good few times but still didnt have a clue so i put it away for a week till i found some1 that had had a few of them before and eventualy i struggled to learn to get an ok tune [ most nitro MT's i had back then only had 1 needle to play with]

May sound a stupid question but you not just giving it full throttle are you? When mines on the factory setting i literatly have to touh the throttle vary gently otherwise it bogs down, most of the times i had to give it a little push. That will be the low speed. And the high speed may be too lean if you have turned it loads and the unburnt fuel is just when your using low speed.

Edited by fredted40x

when I started i struggled with my hyper engine but now it's a doddle to tune.

WHat I do is set the LSN needle to as close to factory as I can work out then 1 turn out to make sure I'm not lean. Then set HSN to factory. Try to start it. It'll struggle to start/run and have lots of fuel in the exhaust so I lean it 1/8 turn and start again. I keep doing this till I can get it to idle happily and accelerate but still sounding boggy. Then I know she's running at a rich setting but ready to start tuning.

Run it around for a while to warm up then start tuning as normal.

If you're getting fuel pouring out of the exhaust then it's way too rich on one of the needles so flooding the engine. At idle and low revs setting the HSN wont do anything. You need to sort out the LSN. Then set the HSN which comes into play around half throttle so tuning that will influence top end.

Everyone has there own way of doing things and I was told to always set the HSN first. But i cant even get the car to run if I dont tweak the LSN first. SOmebody posted this a while ago and its totally transformed my tuning ability. TUNING DIAGRAM Works every time.

Obviously if you cant even start it you cant get it warm by running. Get a hair dryer on it instead.

Edited by merlin_mog

Hi my lsn is set factory i havent touched it. It sticks out slightly from the carb. I have tried tuning the hsn loads and i still get lots of unburnt fuel and smoke coming out the exhuast. The buggy seems to be going through glowplugs quickly. buggy was bought from nitrotek so i dont know if they do setup and tuning.

Edited by 8800GT

Hi i would like to try to figure this out myself though even though i am getting really frustrated with it. At the moment the lsn is set not flush. Its slightly out so would this be causing the stalling and flooding ? I have the engine out at the moment and will clean it. The spur gear has damaged so i will need to replace that.

Hi i would like to try to figure this out myself though even though i am getting really frustrated with it. At the moment the lsn is set not flush. Its slightly out so would this be causing the stalling and flooding ? I have the engine out at the moment and will clean it. The spur gear has damaged so i will need to replace that.

The lsn and hsn are not normally set flush with the body. Normally they're set at a number of turns out. You might have a mid range needle - big brass one at the end of the carb. That's the one the I've seen referred to being set flush with carb body.

If i change something or upset things on my hyper I go back to factory settings. If it wont idle for more than around 5 seconds or stalls with the slightest opening of the throttle the LSN is too rich. I screw in the LSN 1/16th or 1/8th until it'll idle and then accelerate slowly with loads of smoke and sounding boggy (at this stage I just open the throttle gently rather than straight to full). I usually then turn the LSN 1/16th clockwise from that point to lean a little more. Run it for a couple of mins to warm it up then I set the HSN as per the instructions. Without a temp guage lean the HSN 1/8th turn until the top end speed doesn't change with each turn. You can spend ages faffing around deciding on what's right and wrong but I'm settling for losts of smoke and finding the point where leaning even more has no effect on top speed but richening starts to slow it down noticeably.

Once HSN is set up I tweak the LSN 1/16th turn until it accelerates cleanly without bogging. But dont go mad at this stage. It's really easy to lean the LSN too much. Then you might get stalling coming off high speed runs and a really high pitched idle with a bit of a machine gun stutter sound to it. Hard to describe on a forum but it's a high pitched neeee ne ne nee neeeeeeeee ne ne ne neeeeeeee rather than a lower pitched waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And if you can work that sound out from this then our a musical genius :rolleyes: Pinch the fuel line just where it goes into the carb. If the engine note starts to rise rapidly and the car pulls forward quite a bit your set too lean on LSN. If it takes an age to stall the engine and it gently pulls forward then dies your about right. Better to be too rich than lean.

Have a search on here for tuning guides. There's loads of really useful info and the more you play and read the more you'll get to learn what's going on with the engine. When I started out it was such a pain and couldnt get anything set right. Now I'm quite happy tuning them.

Edited by merlin_mog

My engine dosent have a MSN. I will look in the instructions tomorow and make sure my lsn is set to factory settings. Cleaning the buggy at the moment so most of it is in bits. Also need a new spur gear and glow plug. I think the lsn is set to rich but will check the manual first.

Dont use filter oilwhistling.gif clean the filter with new nitro fuel, put some in a plastic container and rinse the filter through the fuel, do this a few times and then gently squeeze the filter to get excess nitro out of it. Leave it a while to dry out then put air filter oil on it, about 5 drops and work the oil into the filter, if filter is too dry then apply a little more oil again working it into the filter until you get to a point where the filter is moist and one end of it has a slightly visable difference in the amount of oil in the filter.

Edited by Dirty Electro

Sorry . . But you really are new to all of this aren't you.... :blush:

air-filter oil is for after you've cleaned the air-filter...... :rolleyes:

What I do is take off the filter and houseing and wash the lot in warm soapy water then rinse in clean warm water,leave to dry on rad ,when dry use airlfilter oil on the inner foam....put all back together then fit back on to engine...... :good: