• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Team Orion Wasp .28 Engine

carlcurtis83

The wasp engine has not got a very good reputation i'm afraid :( having said that i had a wasp 26 in one of my Savage's a couple of years ago and it wasnt a bad engine..i would consider a Picco or something before the wasp personally..Mick.

The Wasp .28 wasnt made by Orion, it was made by TOKI engines, and is a complete POS. Avoid it at all costs, it doesnt run properly, wont hold a tune, overheats, and pops plugs for fun. I wouldnt recomend one to my worst enemy lol. I ended up purposly lean seizing mine, then bounced it off a wall infront a few TM members. It was that good.

got one an its the toki bodied one same as link,the problem with them was front bearing leaking! their power house's when sorted, that was secord BB in my revo sounded like a 1/8 on roader an was rapid till done in linear :P The second generation wasp .28 where made by picco so more reliable.

To quote someone who knows their engines and is now a Picco Dealer:

the WASP 28 is made by Toki engines of japan.....its total junk

the WASP 28 Pro is made by Picco of italy, its a varient of the P3 28 FTT.... i have a Wasp 28 Pro, Jammin JPX 28 and Picco P3 28 FTT.... all are pretty much identical, the Wasp 28 Pro has a little different machining done to the crank, but other then that they are identical mills

the Wasp 28 and 28 pro are completely different engines, alot of people didnt realise the 28 pro is a P3 28.... So there was a time when you could buy the 28 Pro for very little money...... So far my 28 pro modified has been the most powerful, most reliable engine i have owned....

From SuperTib RCUniverse......very reliable info from him usually. Like R46 said the Toki engines are a bit hit and miss and the front bearing being metal shielded is prone to leakage. Having said that if you know how to tune engines and dont get one that leaks they are a powerhouse, and rev unbelievably highly. If you are set on getting one, and it doesnt have air/bearing leaks, you will be pleased, but these days there are far better engines. Go for the Nosram RS .28 monster Evo/LRP Spec 2 or 3 .28 or even .30 and you will be grinning all year. If you can get your hands on a "Pro" .28 wasp then go for it!

• 14 years later...

I was given one a few days ago, I've got it running quite well now... How do you tell between TOKI and Picco made ones?

I assume it'll have Pro on the block?

Edited by Cactus