• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photography!

richhrly

Only thing to remember with the likes of these are that they are continuous lights and not flash and they do not kick out nearly as much power as studio flash heads do.

They do work for the small still life subjects that slugsie uses them for and the results are great but for planes you are going to struggle.

That's the thing. I'm going to need a fair bit of power when I start doing the whole plane, the single flash was OK for picking details out but just got lost when I tried doing entire aircraft where there was space. 

I'll see what happens I think. Cheers.

An alternative approach is to close down the aperture to increase the shutter time and do some light painting.

Just depends on what you are trying to achieve and also how serious it gets.

At this stage you are probably free reign to experiment a little with what lights you have to hand.

As a side note, not sure if you have seen this video before. If not.....enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2G3GDPMq8

The alternative of course is a rock steady tripod and longer exposure.

It's not the fact there's a lack of light in the hangar, I can happily use 1/100 handheld - I was using the flash to pick out details in the planes.

An alternative approach is to close down the aperture to increase the shutter time and do some light painting.

Just depends on what you are trying to achieve and also how serious it gets.

At this stage you are probably free reign to experiment a little with what lights you have to hand.

As a side note, not sure if you have seen this video before. If not.....enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2G3GDPMq8

Was trying to keep the DOF shallow to get rid of the ***** in the B/G, I've got a 10 stop though so I was thinking of using that and then light painting. It's all quite informal at the moment, and plenty of time to practice so I might try something different next time. Cheers. 

It's not the fact there's a lack of light in the hangar, I can happily use 1/100 handheld - I was using the flash to pick out details in the planes.

In that case you're going a bit broad / bright with the flash. Detail picking is often about subtle highlights in my experience, expose for the rest of the plane, then start dialing in your flash to be quite specific on the area. It's a labour of love! I couldnt really see your diffuser on that pic, is it one of those which you can bend/twist? might be worth trying to make it in to a snoot and go for a "hair light" style light - coming over the back of the area to reflect towards the camera.

In that case you're going a bit broad / bright with the flash. Detail picking is often about subtle highlights in my experience, expose for the rest of the plane, then start dialing in your flash to be quite specific on the area. It's a labour of love! I couldnt really see your diffuser on that pic, is it one of those which you can bend/twist? might be worth trying to make it in to a snoot and go for a "hair light" style light - coming over the back of the area to reflect towards the camera.

Yes, a rouge flash bender I think. Handy bit of kit.

I was tempted to have the flash pointing toward the camera, couldn't decide where to put the stand though.

Is this an appropriate time to reply TWSS?

What lens is that?

I'll take a punt at a Sigma 50-500? Good lens, I've owned one and prior to that borrowed it before. Good lens! Plus, it can go from this:

9287541680_ec4cf84e44_c.jpg

to this:

8438514042_31bdebb414_c.jpg

In one zoom :D

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything, weathers been crap, busy with work but most of all kinda lost my mojo for it all to be honest. Kinda getting it back now though :)

My pooch Lola

IMG_9713_zpsc5e0262f.jpg

Flutterby...according to my 2 year old lol

IMG_9702_zps0cdbb304.jpg

And some new ones with the BIGMA!!

Robin

IMG_9877_zps9227d954.jpg

Leaving On A Jetplane

IMG_9929_zps7b3b49e7.jpg

Gull

Gull_zpsd94b0ce6.jpg

Swans

IMG_9908_zps4fbb37f6.jpg

Swan Closeup

IMG_9913_zpsf351ddd9.jpg

And the moon

IMG_9814_zps7faa87b9.jpg

Oh, I tried posting from Flickr, but kept getting broken images...what am I doing wrong? I copied the link, the used the paste image button...couldn't/can't figure out what I was doing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to try and emulate you B&W work. Its great.

Decided to get some photos of the new workhorse. Biggest flaw for me still is USB charging! 314 minutes to charge a single battery which MUST be in the body. Will not charge via the grip.

12225241393_c4ae590921_c.jpg

12225242173_222dd5b0ed_c.jpg

12225476354_24aff8e8f5_c.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Charger-Alpha-Digital-Cameras/dp/B003VFRJIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391122071&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+alpha+300+charger

You should invest in something like this. I use a Nikon camera and always charge outside the camera. I use a grip as well. When I go out on a shoot I have a good stock of 16 GB memory cards and 4 spare batteries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Charger-Alpha-Digital-Cameras/dp/B003VFRJIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391122071&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+alpha+300+charger

You should invest in something like this. I use a Nikon camera and always charge outside the camera. I use a grip as well. When I go out on a shoot I have a good stock of 16 GB memory cards and 4 spare batteries.

Yeah its something I would have expected in the box more than having to buy it. Thankfully this is a test product so I have some work to do as well as have fun but not going to really throw any money at it. 

Be interesting to see how Sony develop these further. Shame Canon made such a poor attempt at it and gave up.

Still need to try and emulate you B&W work. Its great.

Cheers for the kind words!

Guys, I know a few of you dabble with timelapse (or I'm sure I've seen it discussed on here before!)... What (free) software do you recommend? I've just had a good opportunity to make quite an awesome one but don't know where to start. I've got Magic Lantern reinstalled so have the intervalometer on that, will be getting a 240v adapter for my 50D shortly so that only leaves me with the questions of sticking all the images together...!

Cheers.

I've used Windows Movie Maker to string the pictures together. It works well enough, and the price is right (free). Just takes a bit of messing around to get the frame rate just right.