• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is vista ok now?

Hpi_matrix_stock

Vista or XP  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best?

• Vista
    • XP

Not sure what to get with the new laptop Im going to buy. Im used to XP and like it, haven't really heard anything good about vista but everything seems to come with it now so its a bugger trying to get a laptop with XP and id also need to buy a proper copy of office.

Is Vista ok now or should I stick with XP?

i voted vista as i do like it and get on with it. my dad has it on his laptop and im running xp but i like them both only quibble with vista is it asks too much stuff like do u want to do this are you sure and so on but other than that i think its pretty user friendly.

visa has always been fine! i duno what everone is moaning about.... i was a beta tester for it and even then it was fine, lol everything has teething problems, its like for example slatting a hole brand of rc cars cus you had a few glow plugs go and had trouble tuning it... yeh it had the odd little thing wrong but its always been good. iv had it almost 2 years i think now going back to the vista days, and i havnt thought about going back to xp since, ok alot of older hardware is no longer supported but who gives a crap if its old it should be upgraded.

well thats my 2 cents i suggest u get it.... what do you really thing will happen if u do?

adam

I've used Vista since last Christmas, I love it. Loads of useful gadgets, a lot easier to setup networks and the like than XP, and it looks a whole lot more classy.

I wouldn't change back to XP in a hurry.

Plus I use Open Office as this laptop didn't come with MS Office, and thats great too.

vista is grindingly slow, and although ok for the average user, anyone who want to do anything vaguely advanced can't. I wanted to open command prompt. it's not in the menu anywhere. there seems to be no way to access C: drive, so I have to open 'my documents' and manually type 'C:/windows/system32/cmd.exe' (yes even on 64 bit vista it still has a system32 folder. just like when 95 was advertised as being '32 bit ready' it had huge chunks of 16 and even 8 bit code in there too).

I voted XP, but I infact prefer 2000. with service pack 4 it's got the same stuff 'under the bonnet' as XP (so you can play games designed for windows XP), but you can still do enough administrator wise.

although I still prefer linux for anything other than gaming.

Vistas great for me. The basic version came with the PC im on now, and I dont use it for much other than surfing the web, watching movies and playing on rail simulator and its never put a foot wrong. Ive only got 1 GB of RAM but its still very stable and runs quite fast. So yeah id say get it :).

Linux Linux Linux

point made... you could run a dual boot ( I do ) with linux and the windows os of your choice.

I have a custom build pc (8gb ram, Intel quad core 2.6ghz, 500gb hard drive... the list goes on) and linux is soo much faster (albeit I'm a programmer and that's what I need but...) and when I use vista for course work it seems like I'm running a cheap processor and 512mb of ram not my custom build machine.

dual boot will give you the best of both worlds :good:

adam

Linux Linux Linux

point made... you could run a dual boot ( I do ) with linux and the windows os of your choice.

I have a custom build pc (8gb ram, Intel quad core 2.6ghz, 500gb hard drive... the list goes on) and linux is soo much faster (albeit I'm a programmer and that's what I need but...) and when I use vista for course work it seems like I'm running a cheap processor and 512mb of ram not my custom build machine.

dual boot will give you the best of both worlds :good:

adam

yep, same here! except it's a 3 year old custom pc with 1gb of ram and an athlon 64 3400+ :D XP just feels slow. you click something and it appears, disappears, reappears, you click and as you click it disappears again. linux works. well, except from my motherboard doesn't like linux due to some shoddily written code in the bios.

yep, same here! except it's a 3 year old custom pc with 1gb of ram and an athlon 64 3400+ :D XP just feels slow. you click something and it appears, disappears, reappears, you click and as you click it disappears again. linux works. well, except from my motherboard doesn't like linux due to some shoddily written code in the bios.

There are soo many Linux distributions these days (not that I would know much I'm 14 lol) some even are compatable with all windows programs now too!

vista is grindingly slow, and although ok for the average user, anyone who want to do anything vaguely advanced can't. I wanted to open command prompt. it's not in the menu anywhere. there seems to be no way to access C: drive, so I have to open 'my documents' and manually type 'C:/windows/system32/cmd.exe' (yes even on 64 bit vista it still has a system32 folder. just like when 95 was advertised as being '32 bit ready' it had huge chunks of 16 and even 8 bit code in there too).

I voted XP, but I infact prefer 2000. with service pack 4 it's got the same stuff 'under the bonnet' as XP (so you can play games designed for windows XP), but you can still do enough administrator wise.

No you don't... you just type cmd in the search box in the start menu and press enter and Vista isn't slow, its quicker than XP by far.

Vista will be slow if you have a PC with less than 2GB of ram, but with the current low ram prices i can't see why anyone would have a problem with getting more ram. Vista is a great OS as long as you get the 64bit one, the 32 is pointless really.

When it comes to Microsoft Windows, it has to be Vista for feel and XP for older machines, my laptops running XP and my media centre is running Vista.

Never really been into Linux, I am Microsoft Certified so without Windows I have less chance of work :P "Down with Linux!!!"

nutnut

on my vista it command prompt is in accesorys

on my vista it command prompt is in accesorys

wasn't in this one. there was a university lecturer next to me and he couldn't find it on one of his own room's computers.

from a programming perspective, vista is an accident waiting to happen. imagine cutting 3 weeks worth of newspapers up, getting the best bits, and sticking it back together with tape again. sure, there's new stuff there, but the other two thirds is older, and some is ancient. you can read it and get information, but compare it to an operating system that is pulled apart and rewritten every release (all distributions of linux).

linux for everything (openSUSE supports most windows applications out of the box, and the rest of the distributions with the simple installation of a program.)

xp or 2k for games. I'll only get vista when the next version of windows is released. xp only became any good. a year or so before vista was released. I still run it as a dual boot.

Vista is a great OS as long as you get the 64bit one, the 32 is pointless really.

Same as the OPster, im considering upgrading from XP Media Center to Vista on my laptop (Core2Duo T5600 1.83ghz, 2GB RAM). I was worried about performance as even now, my laptop can occasionally lag.

Also i wasnt sure which version to go for, 32 or 64. I thought there were compatibility issues using 64bit OS and i may have a hard time finding some programs to actually work. Since i havent been in touch with computers for years, could you please explain if there will be any compatibility issue or is this more of a problem from the past?

Edited by yoclick

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using vista 64bit ultimate since release and its been brilliant for me no driver issues or any problems., though if you have a older machine dont bother with it and 2gb ram min i'd say.

Vista is quicker on my machine than xp was for sure, people say that it uses alot of memory but its just making the most of whats available osx leoperd is the same.