• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

new Hyper 7 with the 21 engine

mikee1966

Hi,

I've got a new Hyper 7 with the 21 engine. I've only put about 6 or 7 tanks of fuel though it, the first tank with the car on a block and just ticking over. Then slow running around a car park and only now have I started to open the throttle but still not let it go at anything like full throttle. My first glo plug blew after the second tank of fuel, and now I've just taken the car out again only to find the second plug is blown.

Am I doing something wrong? Whats the correct plug I should be using? What should I be doing to stop this happening every time I take the car out?

Needing to fit a new plug every time is an exspense I hadn't counted on. Look forward your thoughts and advice.

Mike.

It's normal to blow a plug or two during break-in and this should get less over time, however they are a disposable item so you will always want to carry a couple of spares.

How is the car running, and what does the metal coil look like in the blown plugs? The way you have the car tuned will greatly effect the life of the plug. Any idea what the engine temps are like?

P.S.

Depending on what % fuel you're using good plugs for the Hyper .21 are McCoys MC-9 or O.S. 8

It's normal to blow a plug or two during break-in and this should get less over time, however they are a disposable item so you will always want to carry a couple of spares.

How is the car running, and what does the metal coil look like in the blown plugs? The way you have the car tuned will greatly effect the life of the plug. Any idea what the engine temps are like?

P.S.

Depending on what % fuel you're using good plugs for the Hyper .21 are McCoys MC-9 or O.S. 8

The car's engine has not been changed from the factory settings straight out of the box. All the runs up until the last time seemed to be trouble free but on the last run I had the car going on grass and the engine did seem to lose power when throttling up so I decided to stop at that point - it was also raining so my son's and I needed to get under some cover.

I seem to remember that the fuel I'm using is 20% nitro ( I'm in work so I can't go and check). Ive no idea about checking engine temps but now you come to mention it , it did look a little hot when I stopped. The first plug I threw away without really looking at it, the second plug still has the coil in it but looks black and sooty - but I did spent about 10 min trying to start the engine before checking the plug.

I'm going to call into my local model shop on the way home and get some more plugs. I've got to say that as a complete newbie to this the thought of tuning the carb is a bit frightening so I'll be lookig for all the step by step tuning help you guys can give me.

Mike

I'm new with a Hyper 7 aswell. Now done 12 tanks of fuel and this is the first non electric car I've ever driven.

It might be an idea to look out for my posts as I've asked a lot of similar questions.

Finally got mine tuned in better but not perfect.

Lucky me though still on the original Glow Plug.

Still the first 5 tanks the engine was not able to rev properly so I couldn't even drive the car, perhaphs that helped the plug?

Langy

Mike

Fouling glowplugs is to be expected mate. Just be sure to always have a few spare

Have a read of the sticky in the Nitro section for noobs explaining what to expect during running in.

One thing to note is that you say you are running factory settings. Be careful as these are not always the correct settings for running in where you should be running very lean (lots of smoke from the exhaust) to lube the engine.

As for checking temp, get yourself a temp gun annd check temp in head by the glow plug. During run in, you should be running cool and then when tuning be looking at somewhere in the region of 250ish F

well worth buying a temp gun:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mt100-micro-temp-gun...id=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INFRA-RED-Temp-eratu...id=p3286.c0.m14

HTH

Mike

Mike

Fouling glowplugs is to be expected mate. Just be sure to always have a few spare

Have a read of the sticky in the Nitro section for noobs explaining what to expect during running in.

One thing to note is that you say you are running factory settings. Be careful as these are not always the correct settings for running in where you should be running very lean (lots of smoke from the exhaust) to lube the engine.

As for checking temp, get yourself a temp gun annd check temp in head by the glow plug. During run in, you should be running cool and then when tuning be looking at somewhere in the region of 250ish F

or

HTH

Mike

Thanks Langy & ShezDawg

It's good to know you guys are out there. I will have a look at other related threads, invest in a Temp Gun and start down the path of checking the carb settings.

Thanks once again,

Mike :)

Thanks Langy & ShezDawg

It's good to know you guys are out there. I will have a look at other related threads, invest in a Temp Gun and start down the path of checking the carb settings.

Thanks once again,

Mike :)

Thanks also to Big_ Mr_V as well, sorry mate but I missed your name in my last reply of thanks to all who have heped me.

Mike

or

HTH

Mike

Be careful to check what you write when you post. You are right to say that there should be lots of smoke when running in (and probably some unburnt fuel spitting or spluttering from the exhaust) and that the engine will be cooler than normal, but it should be very RICH to lube the engine = loads of smoke + cooler, not lean.

Edited by RCChris

I'll second that - the engine should be RICH when running in - but now you've had 7 tanks through her I would start tuning her a bit for performance.

As it's your first nitro you will make mistakes, but please read the sticky's on this forum about running in and tuning and you should know what to look for to avoid doing any permanent damage to the engine...

In terms of temperature - An infra red temp gun is a wise investment, or if you're unsure just put a bit of water or spit in the cooling head:

If it pops and crackles and dances around then your engine is too hot and probably too lean - stop it immediately!

If it just sits there you're running too cool and probably too rich.

The water should evaporate in a few seconds...

You always want a good trail of smoke

etc, etc, etc

As I said, read the guides - it's all in there!!

Be careful to check what you write when you post. You are right to say that there should be lots of smoke when running in (and probably some unburnt fuel spitting or spluttering from the exhaust) and that the engine will be cooler than normal, but it should be very RICH to lube the engine = loads of smoke + cooler, not lean.

:blush: whoops...long day at work - my bad. Meant rich. I'll get my coat....... :whistling:

The tiny alloy particles that are expelled from the piston are what blow the plugs most of the time during break in,this is normal.Go for McCoys MC-9's,they're a fair bit tougher than the OS 8 and can stand overleaning and rich settings better with them having a Platinum/Iridium element.As for the rest just follow what the guys said....

Finally had to replace my first glow plug yesterday after about 12 tanks of fuel. It wasn't that the plug had died it was more the case that the outside part of the plug had become so black that it was getting harder to get a proper contact with the Glow Starter.

After changing the plug the car started much easier and also ran a lot better.

Langy

It all takes time Mike. I know what its like as I've only had the car a week and you just want to get out there and play.

I've now made my HSN a bit richer and the LSN a bit leaner as my engine was hitting about 250 F and smoking more at the low end.

Now when the car races past me a full pelt there is a nice thin smoke trail and it really does sound like that F1 sound. May need to be a little more richer.

Also found that running around a lot at full pelt the fuel soon dissapears.

Langy

It all takes time Mike. I know what its like as I've only had the car a week and you just want to get out there and play.

I've now made my HSN a bit richer and the LSN a bit leaner as my engine was hitting about 250 F and smoking more at the low end.

Now when the car races past me a full pelt there is a nice thin smoke trail and it really does sound like that F1 sound. May need to be a little more richer.

Also found that running around a lot at full pelt the fuel soon dissapears.

Langy

I got mine a week ago as well, my first RC Car, had similar problems, but with a little help seems fine, really wont move to start with and bags of smoke, but will read the stikies to sort that out.

You are right, fuel disapears rather quick on these!

:D