• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Confused about gearing? Read this

Garry

Easy answer :good:

When meshed 'right', you should be able to rock the spur gear backwards and forwards about 0.75-1mm. To get that, theres two methods (until you can tell by sight/feel):

1. Get a piece of paper and put it between the pinion and spur gear, mesh them, and pull the paper out. It should be marked from the teeth, but shouldn't have made holes.

http://www.rc-car.com/index.php/site/article/137/

2. If you want to use a 22t pinion, fit a 23t pinion and mesh it as tight as it'll go, then take it off and fit the 22t pinion.

Either will get the job done though.

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of questions.

I have just done a brushless conversion truggy. The center spur is 46t...I don't know what the pitch is.

I have found a few pinions with a 5mm bore which is what I need.

Can I fit a 32DP/48DP pinion?

Does it have to be a MOD-1 pinion? (They are expensive)

What would be the best size pinion to get for general bashing?

What would be the the best size pinion to get for speed runs?

I have found THIS and THIS are either suitable for my needs?

Sorry for the q's but I don't want to be spending money on pinions that turn out to be no good.

• 7 months later...

So thats why when i put a 16 or a 17 tooth pinion with a 88 tooth spur that my hpi blitz has good accelaration but poor speed , it came with a 18 pinion and thats alright so looks like its time to buy some bigger pinions off model sport :)

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I saw videos of the mamba monster conversions and I was amazed at what they can do. So I bought one the 2200 v3 combo for my hyper 7 , but I am unable to do wheelies like I've seen in the videos. And the videos was of hyper 7 and truggys. I have a 15 t and a 4 cell 21525c lipo battery, is there any chance you can help me? Do I need to programme it via the USB , if so what's the settings? Please can you help.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi ,,

I've been reading throu this thread, but I must be missing something....

I'm using Ansmann Racing Drift Kenjo Motor - 21T with a 54t / 32pitch Spur , 12t / 32 pitch Pinion....

Do I go Smaller/Larger , Spur or Pinion for more speed.....

Don't know my Gear box ratio...

Sean...

Yep, don't go up by more than 2 or 3 teeth at a time to make sure you're not going too far on the gearing and damaging the motor by overloading it though. Jumping 5 teeth in one go may be too much to ask :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I have an ansmann royal flash, I want it to go faster on a bug open car park not interested in racing or cornering I just want to play on the car park what's the best thing to do with the gears also I want to upgrade to brushless and iv seen this

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300690214874&cmd=VIDESC&index=16&nav=WATCHING&nid=30364326590

But as its only my first car don't wana go big bucks so was hoping it would be a good idea

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, was wondering if someone could help me out, I still cant get my head around this gearing business :confused: but i just bought a ezrun 9T brushless combo, the car its going into is my tt01 i mainly use it for drifting but throw some normal tyres on the odd time just to fly about on. So what would be a good gear setting or would the standard set up do? Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all, im fully struggling to work out gearing on my hpi sprint 2 sport. ive just put an ezrun 9t combo into it but unsure what pinion to use. i plan to use both 2s and 3s lipos. any info will be much appreciated!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have tried to read this thread and get an understanding of it but i am failing haha. Some help would be great.

I ren a TT01 Rally conversion. I dont care for fast cars and rapid touring spec. I just want to be sure that i am running the best i can for my style or driving (rally)

Reading this, it looks like i need to be running a high acceleration as i usually run off road on nature tracks and trails. I have a 27t Sport tuned motor baught of the MS website. I think its just the standers spur and pinion i have. Anyone reccomend a good spur/ pinion set up for ralying.

Thanks

Andy