• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage run in.

Grune

hi, i just bought a savage 25.

My truck is completely stock.

I read the instructions for the run in and got it started no problem on a block with the wheels off the ground.

The thing is the wheels are running quite fast and it should be in the idle position. If i try to use the brake control or just pull the throttle back a little it slows and cuts out. But wont idle, or run slowly as the manual states for run in.

I diddent want to alter the settings as the manual says not to till after the run in.

I have ceased my run in till i can get some advice as i dont want to damage the engine.

Any help would be great thanks.

Edited by Grune

dont touch the idle screw untill youv compleatly run the truck in and tuned. it will just screw every thing up later on. Ie more harder to tune.

it shouldnt matter how fast the wheels are spinning. just try to get it in a nice steady idle. as long as it doesnt sound like its going at half throttle youl be ok.

it shouldntmatter how fast thw whells are spinning, as long as the throttle is as low as you can get it with it cutting out and is stready, your fine. As the wheels are off the ground this is probably why they are going fast. mine were slow to start with but as the engine began to hewat up, thw wheel got faster, i left it alone as the engine was still at a low idle.

err the the wheels soudnt be spinning much at all and it does matter if they are spinning fast. when i ran my rush in the wheels didnt turn at all.

welcome

you had the radio gear off?

my rex-x is just left so the wheels are on like a tick ove, just slowley rolling over

or if im off road i just slide the thing up a little (whats necto the throtol)and let roll along slowley

ps if you radio gear was off you are dam lucky my engin blew last time i done that

wrong, it doesnt matter how fast the wheels go, its how fast the engine is ticking over during break in. It shouldnt matter if you have the radio gear on at the same time as you can fine tune how fast the engine is running at idle. the wheels may only be spinning fast due to the gearig you have. it doesnt matter how fast the wheels are spinnig, just ow fast theengine is ticking over.

well the faster the engine go's the wheels are going to get faster as well arnt they. so if the wheels are spinning more than just gently rolling the engine is going to fast.

The carb is open about 1mm with the situation a mentioned.

A couple of people mentioned that the clutch shoes may not be seated right and it could explain the fast running of the wheels.

Any thoughts on that?

cheers

take your clutchbell off and check the clutch shoes and the little springs they sit on, coz if the springs are knackered then the clutch will engage too early and consiquently leave the wheels spinning too fast at tick over

Monstrous

Edited by Monstrous

dude! turn your radio gear on! if it picks up interefere it'll just rev its nuts off the throttle wont stay at the idel position once u turn the radio off!

also ignore the wheels what you need to watch is the gear's the little gear coming off the engine and the larger plastic gear shud be just spinning (if u dnt let the two gear spin slightly u will simply burn out a clutch)

tweak the running rpm with the throttle 'trim' on your radio gear but make sure them gears are spinning

thanks

lee

I have just been trying out the radio throttle control and brake, without the engine running and was worried about what happened.

if you apply the brake even a little, when it returns to nutrel it opens the carb up a little more than it was to start with. If the engine where running it would give it quick a boost of acceleration.

I tryed loosening the screw where the throttle/brake joins at the servo, but it did no good.

its too cold to do anything outside tonight so im going to check the clutch shoes.

I know it have nothing to do with the clutch, but it was suggested the fast wheels may be due to the clutch shoes not seated right, but that fine.

Edited by Grune

I know it have nothing to do with the clutch, but it was suggested the fast wheels may be due to the clutch shoes not seated right, but that fine.

hold the brake on so the carb is pulled to and tighten the little black screw with a spring on till u feel resistence

what little black screw with a spring on ?? :wacko:

the idle screw! possibly hidden under part of air filter - look in your manual for the idle screw or 'stopping screw' just put the brake on and tighten it down SLIGHTLY till resistence is met and it'll soon be sorted

wouldnt worry to much about incorrect seating of clutch its highly unlikely lol and your clutchbell is fastened on correctly!