• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Forum Member... Please help me. 7.4V Lipo change mini-Deans to regular Deans Connector...

Hello,

First post, looking for some advice and help. I have a sound and light kit that needs powering with a 7.4 Lipo battery for a relatively small compartment. The first one I bought didn't fit, bought a second one that does fit but it has a mini-Deans connector instead of standard. So...

1). Will it be okay to essentially remove the mini-Deans connector and solder on a regular Deans connector?

and

2). Are there any recommendations as to where to go to do this? (NB: Based in Central Scotland)

433457128_1124278428610441_4193469124377745465_n.jpg

Hello mate, welcome to the forum  :good:

20 minutes ago, danschmitziscool said:

1). Will it be okay to essentially remove the mini-Deans connector and solder on a regular Deans connector?

Yep, no problem at all. Many people remove original connectors to solder on their own suitable connectors.

• Like 2

Ah, brilliant, that's good news. Thanks for the quick response. I have a friend who solders, but not proficient. She doesn't feel comfortable soldering in close proximity to the lipo battery. If that's the case could a linking wire be soldered instead do you think?

Hi Alex,

I phoned them a couple of times and unfortunately the 2 different people from the RC Dept I spoke to about it seemed quite unknowledable about them - they admitted that themselves. They couldn't answer the question that I put about a converter or adapting the connection from mini to regular. They are the ones who recommended finding a forum online and seeking help there. They were polite, and helpful - a shop I have frequented a few times, but ultimately couldn't resolve.

I may email Patrol Base (where I bought the item from). Here is a link to the item.

Would this be the correct wire to buy to essentially butcher, to get the mini-Deans Male end...

~ Is that a mini-Deans or regular? Can't tell, doesn't say, only mentions that it's a mini Tamaya?

~ Correct polarity? something I'm not overly familiar with other than + and -

And would this be the correct wire to buy to butcher, to get the Regular-Dean Female end...

~ Correct connections/polarity etc.

if she unsolders 1 wire then solders it to new connector having put a bit of shrink wrap tubing on the wire , that will help stop it shorting out doing 2nd wire

She can use her hairdryer to shrink the tubing down 

I find it best to shrink wrap both wires

• Like 1

I've struggled to find mini deans connectors. Your best bet might be to find someone local to help? 

If I was changing I'd go for XT60s as they are a all round better connector. 

• Like 1

@Stormbringer Is this something you would consider doing? Geographically we are pretty close, I'm in Clermiston (behind the Zoo), and you're South Queensferry - so 10 minutes drive away. Absolutely no problems if you aren't interested or not something you do, but would greatly appreciate it and would naturally compensate you and feel reassured that you know what you are doing more so than my friend who has offered. Please have a think about it and let me know.

If you aren't interested, is there someone else you could recommed or somewhere I can advertise looking for this help? Feel very stuck after spending quite a sum up to this point on a build. It was supposed to be for an item for this weekend but I am now pretty resigned to the fact that it won't be ready for then which is frustrating.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

Do you have the connectors ?

I will think about it as when i do it for myself if i mess up it doesnt matter but if its someone elses then it does matter

Is there not a TV/radio/computer repair shop in the area? 

Wouldn't cost much for them to solder the plugs on. 

And don't worry about soldering close to a LiPo battery. Unless you literally stick the soldering iron into the pack, it;s not an issue. The cells are joined with big soldered tabs when packs are asembled, and it's not a problem. I have soldered connectors to LiPos many times. Still on zero fires.

Heat shrink is a must, as is making 100% sure you have the wires connected the right way round. Also, as Stormbringer mentioned, heatshrink is a good idea. You do not want exposed wires that could short the battery. That would kill the cell

• Like 2