• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya TA-02SW Carbon Porsche 911 GT2 (maybe Taisan replica)

Hello guys. Ive been lucky enough to obtain a fair few Tamiya RCs in 2023. I think it was over 25, and the only one I used is the BBX…. However I think we all have a list of “grail” RCs we want. Truth be told, Id got to A stage where Id picked off all the obtainable “cheap” ones and all that was left was £300-1000+ ones…… I managed to pick up the Pennzoil R34GTR, and then I decided POTENTIALLY have a little RC Break…..

Obviously money isnt unlimited. Ive recently welcomed my beautiful daughter into the world, and unfortunately my girlfriend was made redundant 5 days into her maternity leave! So we are currently a 1 income household. However….

I decided this year to focus more on quality over quantity. So a clear out was the idea, get the money in, and then I was going to wait and see if anything on my grail list popped up….

I also decided to sell a few old Pokemom Games…. They seemed to go for big money….. anyway. Thanks to eBays free listing till April (because theyre obviously scared of the upcoming HMRC declaration)l thingie). I managed to get some cash in the RC kitty and some cash in the bank. 

In total, I sold 6x RCs, including my NIB RC10CC, as it didnt really fit my plans (I dont race, I dont have an “association” with Associated (no pun intended). I then purchased the TA02SW Supra GT. And then sort of left it…..

My list was then basically. An NSX of some description (more on that later). Then. Porsches. Thats it. For me. Theres 4 more Porsches I need/want and I doubt Ill ever get the 30th as its a lot of money:

Tamiya Porsche RSR 40th Anniversary #84431

Tamiya Porsche RSR 30th Anniversary #49400
Tamiya Porsche GT2 Racing #47321

Tamiya Porsche 911GT1 #58193

Now the 40th isnt a priority, I have the 45th. I also had a Tamico Edition I stupidly sold cheap. The 30th Anniversary is going to be a grandish, so that may never happen…….

That left the 993 GT2…… The 993 is the nicest, prettiest, best 911. It just is. So that was potentially next. 

I remember buying one of these for cheap as chips from Modelbau back in 2017? Like less than £100 posted…… now they go for a pretty penny….. I was also thinking it needed to be racing decalled as opposed to street…… so the search went on…..

So on that list above, you cant see anywhere where it says Taisan Starcard 911. It never occured to me. It wasn't on my radar till @ChrisRx718 mentioned this kit in my Supra Thread.....

This car ran along side the GT Castrol Toms Supra in JGTC.

model_58172_01.jpg

I accidently found this on eBay, whilst searching for generic TA-02 parts. Price seemed to good to be true, but I am appreciative that this is more of a parts bin special than an authentic kit.

Armed with my excuses of selling 6x models, I bought this.

lJ3NH1x.jpeg

I bought it for the chassis and hop ups tell the truth. It comes with the following hop ups.

Black gear boxes front and rear,
New low friction dampers and white tamiya tuned springs,
Tamiya Aluminium front king pins,
Tamiya cc02 cvd front drive shafts,
Tamiya 39mm rear cvd drive shafts, 
Tamiya hard centre prop shaft and joints,
Tamiya ta02 carbon chassis conversion set.

It also came with

Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2  body set with instructions,
MCI Taisan Starcard decals and window masks.
New wheels and tyres with Bridgestone potenza decals.

NEV6mGq.jpeg

r73z2uQ.jpeg

w8WX8Fu.jpeg

YxIlM2T.jpeg

QlBhg3F.jpeg

tBe5bqw.jpeg

r73z2uQ.jpeg

So what do we do next??

• Like 3

Found my original thread..... 

£91 delivered in 2018. I wish I'd bought 10 of them! Moving on.

I'd painted my Street one  all the way back in 2018, all black, not box art silver. You can see it here. Looking back, what an incredibly stunning R/C that was! No wonder they command such a premium!

rwnEOP2.jpg

Today my girlfriend has took little one out on a girly day with her family, so I woke up early-ish, received this Parcel, went to the gym and then popped to my local modelshop. I picked up

PS5 Black

TS14 Black - This is for the plastics, I also need this to finish my 45th Anniversaey but was too tight to spend £6.50 on a can for a small area

PS31 Smoke. Ive never succeeded with this but IVe got to keep trying.....

Now the bodyshell itself is easy to obtain. Genuine decals ? Im guessing not 😞

My only experience of MCI decals was back in 2018, I personally wasnt impressed..... but we will see. Ive started painting the shell black. Like above. I may do it Taisan, I will see how I get on with the MCI decals. Failing that, RC Decals in Torquay make a set, pre cut. Ive had good luck with these ones although they are a touch thicker which makes them a bit harder to manage. We will see

• Like 2

should turn out great well done on getting this, tip for painting place rattle can in a jug of warm water for 10 mins to warm contents and this will help with the smoke paint, also with the smoke do a light coat let it dry and see how it looks before maybe adding a second light coat

• Like 1