• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX/Hobby plus Rock van/Unitrak/power wagon 1/18th

Lone-wolf

I had been considering getting the FTX unitrak 1/18th Unimog style truck but having placed order for a cross 1/10th loaded Unimog, i now find im looking at the rock van as an interesting rig, they seem to get a huge amount of love on Youtube. There is 2 versions, the original single speed and the newer 2 speed model however i rather fancy the original in the kit form as this comes with weights for the beadlock wheels, it has the older smaller motor but this is super cheap to upgrade, do i need the 2 speed, i sort of think not.

Im not in a rush for this so lets have some input from people that may already have this model

• Lone-wolf changed the title to FTX/Hobby plus Rock van/Unitrak/power wagon 1/18th

Parts should be easy enough to source as it looks like a stretched outback mini 2.0, those shocks are poor so id pop them high on the to-do list mate :good:

i do like the look of them to be honest and the mini 2.0 was a good little truck, keep us posted on this one. 

1 hour ago, Gaz! said:

Parts should be easy enough to source as it looks like a stretched outback mini 2.0, those shocks are poor so id pop them high on the to-do list mate :good:

i do like the look of them to be honest and the mini 2.0 was a good little truck, keep us posted on this one. 

I can see me getting one but after the amount i spent on the Cross Unimog it will have to wait a few weeks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my Rock van EVO the weekend gone, bloody love it! It actually climbs better than my modded Power Wagon!! That was a bit of a shocker :'D made mine a Yota cos those stripes. Deffo gonna want longer shocks, doe anybody know if Injora/Treal fit? Was into the axle mounted servo mod but, seen online that that restricts suss travel.. The tyres are great, I can actually get them to squeal!!! An I think the climbing ability might be due to the wheels, or the bigger motor :'D 
One thing I'm deffo doing is a trailer to make it a tow van for my FMS's 
So
anybody know of a tow hitch that fits? been on Injora an most of thiers seem to be for traxxis, will they fit? Any help appreciated.
They're sold out now as well as all the upgrades so, seems like they're getting popular.

P.S only gripe is it has bushings, I think every thing else is metal though?

Jonathan

Edited by Naptime
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Naptime said:

Got my Rock van EVO the weekend gone, bloody love it! It actually climbs better than my modded Power Wagon!! That was a bit of a shocker :'D made mine a Yota cos those stripes. Deffo gonna want longer shocks, doe anybody know if Injora/Treal fit? Was into the axle mounted servo mod but, seen online that that restricts suss travel.. The tyres are great, I can actually get them to squeal!!! An I think the climbing ability might be due to the wheels, or the bigger motor :'D 
So
anybody know of a tow hitch that fits? been on Injora an most of thiers seem to be for traxxis, will they fit? Any help appreciated.
They're sold out now as well as all the upgrades so, seems like they're getting popular.

Jonathan

They are great, cant help on the towbar, as for bushings at least they dont rust and seize up after a wet run and yes all gears are metal.....unlike the FCX18

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Naptime said:

So

Jonathan

If you can get a pic of the inside of the rear bumper, might be easier to guide you, the Traxxas/injora etc. hitch for the trx4m is a simple fitment and would only require 2 small holes to be made in your rear bumper to accommodate the hitch, if you want any specific pics of the Traxxas or Injora hitches, let me know, i have both. :good:

• Like 1

Will do, had a little look an theres a solid bumber screwed to the body shell, with enough plastic to put a couple holes in. seems solid enough to tow a trailer....? 

• Like 1

Hmmm, might not work then if the bumper is mounted to the body, if the trailer got hung up it could end up ripping the bumper off. Preferably a bracket attaching it to the chassis would be the way to go in my opinion. :good:

• Like 1

good thinking, the bumper is pretty solid plastic but, yeah I didnt think of that. There is a cross brace that the body clips into. I'll give it a measure later. see if any other brands parts will fit..

Edited by Naptime
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So my rock vans portal cogs are slipping in one wheel, probably my own fault for pulling wheelies? but, out of stock every where! any body know if FMS cogs will work?
Even then I can only find Treal an they look a bit chunkier than the FTX ones...
Thanks all
Jonathan

good thinking forgot aboot absima! no portal cogs but, did notice thier spot light/bar leds are in stock!

• 2 weeks later...

just ordered a set of metal beadlocks some tyres and brass hex`s for rock van from Injora, get a bit of low down weight on this van, then its a custom painted body to add when clear shell comes back in stock